• Send them all to India for tech education

0 0%
  • Priestly schools for added guilt

0 0%
  • Some sorta sci-fi instant-learning USB

0 0%
  • Herbal lore, forget all this science stuff

1 16.67%
  • Taoist system (keep people uneducated)

0 0%
  • Something AWESOME that I didn't think of

2 33.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improving The US Education

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tharticus View Post
    We should axe the programs that gives so little in return. Otherwise we wouldn't have the 'occupy' movement.

Waiting for Superman is a good documentary movie about the education system.
    Well, by that standard, we wouldn't have music classes, because 9/10 of the population won't become musicians. But someone wants to write/sing the songs on the radio. At the very least we should have Mr Holland's Opus style music apprec (my music apprec class never insisted we learn an instrument, but that did). Art classes seem less useful, but if more people had design careers and education was worth more in general, this might not be the case.

To be more specific, cut some of the propaganda stuff like women's studies or African studies unless you mandate them for white males (which, let's face it, that should be the point. If it can't change the point of view of the supposed "oppressor" nothing will really change anyway, and the class is a waste of time).

1. You are filthy simplified chinese user
    2. "da bien" is romanji mandarin for "to poop"
    3. it is pronounced roughly "zhai jien" but that's probably not the pinyin for it because i was raised on bopomofo
    It is pronounced, in this filthy simplified dictionary, as zai-jyen. But what my cute little American ears heard was da bien, even though it wasn't correct by any means.

Yea, I was wondering if anyone would notice the apprenticeship thing. I didn't set these up votes as Stawmen to my position, I've considered all of them. The one I actually like the most is just ditching conventional schooling altogether, and training in very old skills like herbal lore, farming, and craft stuff like weaving. It wouldn't help civilization or progress in the least, but pollution would likely go down substantially as the bulk of the population forgets how to make or use the internal combustion engine. And because short of keeping the population dumb, it's one of the weirdest ideas.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 24th December 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    History degree and expects easy access to jobs.
    i was going to say something along those lines. honestly, what did you expect? entry level jobs are even being taken up by engineering grads and law school grads :/

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    Longer school days, more intense school days. Homework should stop mattering more, school days should be longer (start earlier, leave later) ,I'm talking 7-5, okay, `maybe` 7-4, this is for your core studies, you should be forced to be enrolled in at least one extracurricular activity/sport (Chess, basketball, football,track, `clubs`), and these things should have their own limits, for example a club should have a strong limit to what it has to do, forcing this (no ****ing exceptions like 'hurr I have asthma bawww I'll just do NOTHING instead of trying a little').

I think this should solve a lot of the problems. In other words, basically: Stop being so ****ing casual with education, our education system is ****, just basically a glorified ****ing nursery, I can say this because :
    1)Just got out of it, I know how ****ing bad it is.
    2)My mom's a teacher, I see how bad it still ****ing is since I pass by the school now and then
    3)I live with 3 kids all in this **** and see how bad it is.

A big problem I see is homework, it's too casual, teachers are too lax, it's bull****, my cousin's bull**** their homework and somehow still get As and Bs because everyone is 'She's just a little girl' in elementary/first part of mid, then it's AWWWW **** ***** you grown up now, and you're getting Cs instead because they babied your ass the whole way.

You know Asian parent stereotype? Every teacher needs to be that way, not these white momma 'Do what you want honey, do you want a snack?' types, f**k that noise.

e:**** you for making an actual good thread, I had to unignore you just so I can see your responses without a million clicks, since this will most likely be a good thread.
    1. the asthma thing, it's not just an excuse (for me anyway). i mean i play tennis and i think after the 4 years i've played for my highschool, don't think my coach ever knew about it. (because i didn't want to tell her, because i didn't want it to be any different for me). but... i tried out for track my freshmen year, and that was pretty bad. there was one day, during the middle of practice, i simply just couldn't breathe and i started hyperventilating. i quit track haha. but anyway my point is even after using an inhaler and stuff, it wasn't very helpful. and mine is only 'sports-induced' asthma, so there's a bunch of people that have way worse breathing problems. so i would think if you legitly had asthma, you couldn't really try for a sport.. and also, some people are just all brains, and want to put more effort into studying rather than do a club or extracurricular.
    2. that's why there are honors, AP (advanced placement), and IB (international baccalaureate) classes. a lot more homework included. and in elementary public schools, there's the GATE program (gifted/talented kids) & they're piled with more things too. and actually, my brother, who's in 5th grade, he has hours of homework to do a day. he's not disabled or anything. it's just that they pile so much stuff on elementary kids these days tbh. i'd say his amount of work is equivalent to maybe my freshmen or sophomore year of highschool (not the difficulty level, the amount).
    3. if teachers were like asian parents, i would've dropped out a long time ago.

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

Humanities degree and expects a good salary.

I remember when I was an engineer student we'd laugh at them and chant "ten dollars an hour!" over and over again.

I know how to solve the education problem (or rather, the lack of it).
    Instead of going off into specialized "programs" in college/university/post secondary school, do it in highschool, in grade 9. Stop teaching Calculus to people who don't need it, and instead teach them something they want to learn about.

Guaranteed to drive up interest in subject, and as a result, grades.

I did a paper on this when I was in grade 11, and found out that the North American education system currently in use was created during the Industrial Revolution. How long ago was that?
    In addition, it was created so that people would be able to get jobs at factories. Obviously it's evolved a bit more; I doubt they learned modern Physics in their system. The point still stands. Standardized education is outdated and needs a revamp; it needs to be more intensive and drive good habits into kids when they are still young and not spoil them with a ****ing iPhone 4S at the age of 8.

e; I read somewhere about suicide rates. No offense if you know someone who commited suicide because of high school, but it's mindboggling that the easy, lax, completely un-intensive thing called "standardized education" could ever cause someone to seppuku.
    Last edited by emailbox; 3rd January 2012 at 11:43 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I was actually kind of shocked when I found out teachers were humans like us.

I went waaay above their expectations

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    I know how to solve the education problem (or rather, the lack of it).
    Instead of going off into specialized "programs" in college/university/post secondary school, do it in highschool, in grade 9. Stop teaching Calculus to people who don't need it, and instead teach them something they want to learn about.
    i semi agree with it, the only problem is, i wouldn't have been able to decide what i wanted to do in life by grade 9. in grade 9 i wanted to major in english and become a write & book illustrator. grade 10-- work at a publishing house. 11 &12th-- photographer.
    so much wishywashyness

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

I definitely didn't know what to do with my life in 9th grade. Too early.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I'm in 12th grade and still don't know what to do with my life.
    by Cryopon

10th grade is better. I had a good idea of what I wanted to do. I just knew it involved my PC.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

In 5th grade, I was so immersed into computers when Windows 98 was the sh*t. But my parents believe that getting a general education was more important than anything else.
    I'm Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    I definitely didn't know what to do with my life in 9th grade. Too early.
    You think that, but you're forgetting that up to grade 8 you were basically taught NOTHING you would ever find useful.
    If 13 year olds 100 years ago could work in the general workforce, then 13 year olds now can too. They've just been babied from grades 1-8 so they don't know jack squat about the world or how it works.

bolt202/veil225/feint200