View Poll Results: Fresh Horse?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't mind if I do...

5 71.43%
  • Oh, hell no!

1 14.29%
  • Only once they get really old and can't run...

1 14.29%
  • (Something else)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yum, Horse

I'd try most meats (Why not human while we're at it), I've heard horse doesn't taste good though. My grandfather has eaten most animals, said horse was too tough.
    Gone with the wind

I think the world needs a little more pig blood

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    ...Oh, you meant the horse. I thought you were saying I got banned for this thread.

It's because Americans are picky and like sterile food that's tasteless and textureless (what's with this beef, pork, chicken triumvirate, at the exclusion of most veggies, and all other meats). Yes, grain-fed young meat is less tough. But it has less flavor and makes you fat for no good reason. Having tried mutton soup (and jellyfish) in Chinatown, I had no problem with it.
    Spoiler!
    What we eat isn't odd, it's just completely boring, and deprived. Good luck finding game hens.

That, and they get sentimental on stuff they don't really care about anyway. I wouldn't go out endorsing any type of meat slaughter, actually, but dammit if it's already dead, don't go "awww the poor lamb..." The poor lamb has been dead for at least a day, and is slowly rotting in front of you, couldn't you at least make its death worth something?

I won't, it's too awesum.
    I'm sorry, but you're a moron. Most of the meat circulating the United States is mass-produce,d steroid enhanced ****. I can vouch for this, being that I've seen it done in person. (Not at our farm, we DO NOT use anything other than vaccine at a young age) Cattle that are put on grain and hay after leaving their mother are more tender, greater tasting, and generally better than that of a cor or steer raised primarily on steroids and anything else that a factory can give them.
    Especially if you give Cattle silage will they be delicious. The beef is a LOT tastier, they're generally a bit larger. (Not fat, either.) and they're a LOT more tender.We're feeding our cattle silage from now until next October. Those who are old enough and aren't getting butchered by then, I mean. So PLEASE do not post until you get your facts straight.

I live on a farm. i know these things.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Wait, you're calling me a moron for (mostly) agreeing with you? Okay...

Your steers are fed grain and hay. Not grass-fed, but close to a healthy diet I assume.

I'm gathering this is still a family farm. You have some commercial farms however, that feed almost nothing but corn meal of some sort. It takes more expense than seems necessary, considering you have to bring in trucks to ship this crap from corn fields out in Illinois and the like, all to force feed these guys until they taste like nothing. Forget steroids, they have to give them antibiotics, because that sort of diet gives them ulcers. And it likely gives you ulcers if you try to eat it.

Any restaurant style that has USDA Prime cuts (the "best" type, with all the heavy fat and marbling), is likely fed nothing but corn (or at least finished with it) to get that stage of marbling. Anything like yours is likely to be middle of the road in terms of fat (I assume), and tastier. On the other extreme, just letting it eat wild on grass is likely to produce very flavorful, but somewhat tough and gamey meat. What I was saying is that the tastiest meat is probably not steroid stuff, and probably either of the two latter categories.

USDA Grading System.

The way the government bases quality of meat is mainly on texture. Being health conscious to an insane degree (don't drink, smoke, drink soda, or do much of anything), I actually don't care one bit about texture, because I end up having to peel this revolting fat layer away from the meat, meaning roughly half the steak is a fraud. So the meat is softer, so what? I don't know from farm raising cattle, as most of the farm work I've done is crop work. But I do know that it's totally ridiculous to consider buying prime rib and cut off most of it.

So why did I mention grass-fed earlier? Having not set for hours on a truck, the food matter is lower on contaminants. It also doesn't run as much of the risk of being near where the cow takes a dump since the cow is feed outside rather than in a feeding area, so the meat of the cow and its milk are actually safe(r) to have, even raw.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Wait, you're calling me a moron for (mostly) agreeing with you? Okay...

Your steers are fed grain and hay. Not grass-fed, but close to a healthy diet I assume.

I'm gathering this is still a family farm. You have some commercial farms however, that feed almost nothing but corn meal of some sort. It takes more expense than seems necessary, considering you have to bring in trucks to ship this crap from corn fields out in Illinois and the like, all to force feed these guys until they taste like nothing. Forget steroids, they have to give them antibiotics, because that sort of diet gives them ulcers. And it likely gives you ulcers if you try to eat it.

Any restaurant style that has USDA Prime cuts (the "best" type, with all the heavy fat and marbling), is likely fed nothing but corn (or at least finished with it) to get that stage of marbling. Anything like yours is likely to be middle of the road in terms of fat (I assume), and tastier. On the other extreme, just letting it eat wild on grass is likely to produce very flavorful, but somewhat tough and gamey meat. What I was saying is that the tastiest meat is probably not steroid stuff, and probably either of the two latter categories.

USDA Grading System.

The way the government bases quality of meat is mainly on texture. Being health conscious to an insane degree (don't drink, smoke, drink soda, or do much of anything), I actually don't care one bit about texture, because I end up having to peel this revolting fat layer away from the meat, meaning roughly half the steak is a fraud. So the meat is softer, so what? I don't know from farm raising cattle, as most of the farm work I've done is crop work. But I do know that it's totally ridiculous to consider buying prime rib and cut off most of it.

So why did I mention grass-fed earlier? Having not set for hours on a truck, the food matter is lower on contaminants. It also doesn't run as much of the risk of being near where the cow takes a dump since the cow is feed outside rather than in a feeding area, so the meat of the cow and its milk are actually safe(r) to have, even raw.
    Once again you are very, VERY wrong.
    There is NOTHING better for cattle than "wild" grass as you call it. This is what we call a pasture. Ever see a fenced in area with many of the same type of animal? That is a pasture.
    The meat is flavorful, a lot more tender, less fat, and the cattle generally produce more meat.

Google =/= Real life experience.

grass fed is always better because that is the diet intended for an animal intended to eat grass
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    grass fed is always better because that is the diet intended for an animal intended to eat grass
    exactly .

a dumbass baby

ostrich is good **** man.

My post count is frozen. Megadeus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watashi View Post
    ostrich is good **** man.
    Really? Please do describe it. I've seen some ostrich at this one market the next city over.
    Well isn't that interesting?
    What's this? You bothered to highlight my sig?You're very bored then, aren't you? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Once again you are very, VERY wrong.
    There is NOTHING better for cattle than "wild" grass as you call it. This is what we call a pasture. Ever see a fenced in area with many of the same type of animal? That is a pasture.
    The meat is flavorful, a lot more tender, less fat, and the cattle generally produce more meat.

Google =/= Real life experience.
    Once again, I wasn't even arguing with you. Geez, Wyatt.

"Tough and gamey meat", maybe (meanwhile you ignored everything else I said to focus on that one part). I'm making that comment according to the sayings of some people (who also think white bread taste great, do you see where I'm getting here?), but not me. I like mutton, I like most game, and I'd definitely like horse more if it was declared tough.

Government expectations of better meat =/= better meat.

Grass > corn.

(M&Ms? bull**** feed, no pun intended)

But raising cows (grassfed) accounts for less than 10% of consumption because raining cattle this way is considered "inefficient."
    Quote Originally Posted by CornCattleman
    For the number of cattle we're feeding, we couldn't grass feed here... We can get more off an acre by growing crops, corn and soybean, than we could by putting cattle on.
    What a ****ing moron, let's see costs here. We put however many cattle on pasture on like 5 or whatever acres of ten. They eat whatever quality grass, the cost to grow grass is like umm, nothing. We use the remaining field to grow crops for sale directly to market, in addition to the cattle. We even get to sell the cattle at a premium price because it takes longer to fatten.

Or... we have maybe 1 acres of land for cattle, just enough really to hold the cows. We grow the other 9 acres with corn, which actually takes effort to grow, oh and added expense to pull out a ****ing tractor to chop all this corn, hull it, and feed it to cows. Which would all be worth it, if you were actually selling it. But no, pretty much all gone to feed cows, as the type of corn is not sweet corn, it's what's called cow corn. All that potential profit into an animal's belly. So you use less crop land, it is not more efficient if you feed it not to customers but your product.

And no, I'm not arguing, I'm preaching to the choir. Everyone who's on here posting wants grassfed from what I saw. So I'm mad about? That it still isn't the case.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 5th December 2011 at 03:16 PM.