Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inheritance Trilogy by Blahblahblah

Default Inheritance Trilogy by Blahblahblah

Inheritance Trilogy by Blahblahblah

It's a disgrace to literature. My classmate mentioned it in passing this morning and praised it as a work of great art. Bleh. I dare you Paolini lovers to disagree. For those who have never heard of or read this, be grateful that your brains aren't rotting.

Eragon AKA THE BLUE BRICK

Something that I question from time to time: How do you measure the worth of a literary work? is it the magnitude of joy you derive from it? Is it from the complex thoughts and issues it evokes? Does it give you startling new insights to the world around you? Does it stem from the acclaim it recieves from the general media?

Personally, while his books are undeniably enjoyable, the plot/storyline and even the characters are not so much original creations but rather almost complete carbon copies of other popular literary characters. Granted that nowadays, no fantasy character is truly original, often taking traits from the penultimate cast of fantasy novels (The boy who became a saviour/king, the magician mentor, the excellent marksman, the chivalrous knight etc) his are glaringly reminiscent of the afore mentioned that it just seems like he changed the names of Frodo and company.
    Randland Parody
    Stupid cow. Stupid, stupid, stupid cow.

The faces of Hidden-Street, through the years

Sadly most modern fantasy works are a big pile of steaming dragon dung.

Remember all fantasy writers took their influence from Tolkien, who took HIS influence from ancient Norse sagas, myths and legends. I mean even LOTR is drivel. Truly, honestly, if you pick it apart and don't just read it superficially. Harry Potter is drivel. They read like poorly written fanfictions. In fact there are HP fanfics out there better than the originals.

I tried to read Eragon and failed after ten pages. Maybe I'm getting old. I dunno. Y'all should read Terry Pratchett anyway if you're after some truly good, original fantasy.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

I actually read Eragon and didn't hate it. It was decently entertaining and I had nothing better to do. My roommate loves them for some reason and lent it to me. She also lent me the second but I can't bring myself to read it.

I prefer to call Eragon: A Portrait of Aragorn as a Young Man.

So! I thought the first book was a complete Tolkien rip-off, enjoyed it anyway, but not enough to continue.

eragon was ok, movie sucked ass, and eldest was boring as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Chicle View Post
    eragon was ok, movie sucked ass, and eldest was boring as hell
    I'll be sure not to read it then. ^.^

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com

Everything you need to know about why/how Eragon sucks.

Paolini has often dismissed the plagarism claims by saying that his story simply follows the hero's archetype. However, this is not true. Look at this:

A short summary of Star Wars

A boy lives with his uncle on a farm in a vast empire headed by an evil Emperor and his right hand man, who was once prominent in an ancient order of guardians with mystical powers. The boy comes into the possession of an object vital to a rebellion against the Empire. The object was sent to him by a princess in the rebellion, who had attempted to send said object to an old man who once belonged to the same order of guardians as the Emperor’s right-hand man. This boy seeks the old man to learn of the ways of this ancient order, but eventually has to return to his uncle’s farm, which, the boy finds, has been destroyed by fire, and his uncle killed. The boy then sets off with the old hermit, who also gives him a sword which belonged to his father. As they travel, they train. The old man is killed while trying to protect the boy. Later, the boy meets up with a rogue who is full of surprises, who turns out to be fiercely loyal. The boy also begins "seeing" a beautiful woman imprisoned. The boy decides that he needs to rescue her. They then set off to the rebellion to give important information. They were followed by the Empire, and prepare for a giant battle that will either save the rebellion or annihilate them. The boy proves his worth with heroics during the battle, but his crowning achievement is his destruction of something with much. The boy is praised as a hero. The boy has a hallucination of a powerful master who can teach him more of the ancient order. The boy travels to the powerful master to learn the ways of the ancient order's mystical power. While there, he grows very powerful. While he is away, the Rebellion regroups in a new area. Soon, he has a vision of his friends in great danger. He decides he must go to help them. His master warns him not to go. The boy promises that he will return and leaves. In a battle to save his friends, he finds out that his father was the right-hand man of the Emperor. The boy is shocked and also defeated, but not killed. He finds out that someone dear to him has been taken by evil people, and promises to find this person.

Do you realise how much he has copied from the works of others? I feel that it is prefectly fine to follow archetypes. Every modern novel is a deriviation of another's work, since the authors need their ideas and inspirations. However, Eragon is derivative and very very bad writing.

It is also very much unenjoyable. The prose is flat, it is purple and flowery, it is over cliched and so on and so forth.

Eragon is simply a well written Fan Fiction of LOTR.

I hate books where someone 'unassuming' becomes the hero. Urgh. Like Harry Potter. I mean cmon. That boy is such a wimp.

Heroes need backbone, they need to be uber-handsome and over 21. Then they can legally drink in any country, swear and have fun. Plus they've gone through puberty so there won't be any angst.

Quote Originally Posted by CountessZero View Post
    I hate books where someone 'unassuming' becomes the hero. Urgh. Like Harry Potter. I mean cmon. That boy is such a wimp.

Heroes need backbone, they need to be uber-handsome and over 21. Then they can legally drink in any country, swear and have fun. Plus they've gone through puberty so there won't be any angst.
    LOL. Romanace novels hero.. Washboard abs. long flowing hair. Name Sven.

Never read Eragon. I heard good things about it. If I'm bored I read. I stick with the same authors normally. Terry Goodkind, R.A. Salvatore, Margret Weiss, Tracy Hickman, Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks, George RR Martin and David Eddings. So, Eragon may be far down the list.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

Quote Originally Posted by whendoom View Post
    LOL. Romanace novels hero.. Washboard abs. long flowing hair. Name Sven.
    Dammit get out of my head :P