Page 6994 of 7207 FirstFirst ... 5994649468946944698469926993699469956996700470447094 ... LastLast
Results 69,931 to 69,940 of 72066

Thread: The Chat Thread

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

I'm actually more shocked that you didn't say anything about cousin incest being wrong or gross.
    Because it isn't. When both the Bible and the average state allows first cousins to marry, that means whatever ethics you are operating under are stricter than either, and not based on anything.

Since most people today reject the Bible as moral authority on grounds of being too strict, that means something's wrong here.

Cousin incest isn't really incest (4% deformity, versus 2% for marrying a complete stranger and having children). Definitely, what's wrong is neither the supposed incest or the age of the guy, but that it was an arranged marriage. Those are bad.

I could easily get talked into marrying my first cousin (she's pretty hawt), but only if she proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Because it isn't. When both the Bible and the average state allows first cousins to marry, that means whatever ethics you are operating under are stricter than either, and not based on anything.

Since most people today reject the Bible as moral authority on grounds of being too strict, that means something's wrong here.

Cousin incest isn't really incest (4% deformity, versus 2% for marrying a complete stranger and having children). Definitely, what's wrong is neither the supposed incest or the age of the guy, but that it was an arranged marriage. Those are bad.

I could easily get talked into marrying my first cousin (she's pretty hawt), but only if she proposed.
    hi i really would not rather make this into a religion argument thing, but what are your references? p sure the new testament overwrites the multiple wives thing.
    Last edited by Grace; 23rd September 2012 at 05:21 AM.

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

I'm married to the thug life.
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    hi i really would not rather make this into a religion argument thing, but what are your references? p sure the new testament overwrites the multiple wives thing.
    It isn't a religion thing. Religion is a standard. Common life should never have stricter standards than that reserved for religion.

Monogamy became fashionable. It has no religious meaning, for or against religion. If you wanted to, Grace, you could have several husbands. You just couldn't have a law sanctioned marriage, because here the courts see something wrong, when there isn't.

Monogamy is the ideal in the Bible, but the real for much of the age was actually polygamy, since many didn't measure up. Now that most monogamous marriages end in divorce to things like cheating, I say it is preferable to have multiple partners and love each of them, than it is to hurt all of them over an ideal that you can't manage.

http://bibleq.info/answer/2866/
    http://bibleq.info/answer/2881/
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 23rd September 2012 at 09:02 AM.

Bulma why did you bring up religion. Bulma I don't even understand what you're saying.
    by Cryopon

The low-fat non-religious version:

Human beings are not monogamous. We'd like to have laws enforcing monogamy, but for more than 50% (heck, maybe for even 75%) the reason we divorce aside from all the excuses (he doesn't make enough, we don't get along, etc) is that we couldn't stand to be around the same person year after year. My parents don't appear to want to stray from each other, but they still fight like crazy. There are people who have their soulmates, and that's great for them. But to enforce this system on the entire population is nuts. It is because people stray, that divorce is allowed. And it is because people stray that divorce would go down if you allowed multiple wives/husbands.

I'd marry someone to have someone by my side to have deep meaningful conversations with and to cuddle with. Within a year, anyone married to me would want a second partner for sex. I'd rather she not leave me alone as before, so by default anything I wanted would be illegal. Thanks for nothing, federal govt.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

>sex on the side is illegal

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    Kag would marry a hot 18 year old cousin.
    I don't have any cousins that is 18

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I don't have any cousins that is 18
    So you'd marry him if he was 18?
    Spoiler!

My art blog

Quote Originally Posted by Phazonkirby View Post
    So you'd marry him if he was 18?
    wat? I dont have any cousins who are younger than me, except one