Thread: Marbas Mage

Default Marbas Mage

So I've been wanting these gloves since they first came out, now with the maker skill, they have the potential to rival the Timeless gloves. Properly prepared they almost exceed the timeless gloves potential for raw damage bonuses with no requirements, prior to the factoring of potential.

Can anyone tell me how to get Marbas gloves and Marbas shoes to drop? Once I kill the guy, do I have to forfit the quest, and start it over to kill him again? I was farming the reincarnations in the 3 person Astaroth quest and they only dropped mesos.

If I can get them to drop, are they effected by Potential?
    Last edited by Avatarded; 10th November 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

I believe (and I could be wrong) that you do not need to forfeit the quest. You just have to kill her/him. Do note that the drop rate for these items is ridiculously low. I believe any equipment can have potential, so that would include these. Honestly, you shouldn't waste your time with these (especially if you're trying to obtain potential stats). Because of the "tiers" of potential stats, you'll need level 71+ gear if you're looking to obtain the best potential stats from you equips.

I am a prepotential player, hell I'm a pre-ossyria player, I recognize the actual potential of these items in base stats, required stats, upgrade return slots and stat shuffling potential. 8 Upgrade slots make for an impressive display of stat stacking potential, vs the 5 of higher tiered items, dispite the limited amount of tiered "potental" while these questions remain unanswered I have little frame of reference to base judgments off of other than that.
    Last edited by Avatarded; 10th November 2010 at 04:18 PM.

You're right that they have more upgrade slots available but they also have lower base stats than the higher level gear. Lots of things added to the game make obtaining a high secondary stats is possible whilst maintaining a low base (optimum example being a +40 stat cHTN). The tiers of potentials also plays an important part because of the "decent" skills. On the subject of gloves, level 120+ gloves (reverse/timeless) can get the Decent Sharp Eyes skill (though it can be rare). Meaning you'll have a mini-self sharp eyes on your char, even a magician. Shoes on the other hand only need to be 70+ in order to get the Decent Haste skill. In addition, the max +% you can get on items goes up as you move up in tiers (the highest being 12% per line of potential in the 70-120 tier). Of course, I could be explaining this all wrong and be confusing things. I don't actually know a great deal about the potential system myself.

Having played Diablo II since a year before the LOD release on Christmas of 99, I get the gist of what your saying when you say decent skills, like Diablo II it seems gear in MS can now do more than just stats, I found a warrior axe that could proc slow at a low rate.
    Hidden-Street is my maplestory Arreat Summit. Unfortunately I can't find all of the info I'm looking for in the repository alone, a problem it took Arreat Summit a few years to work out, even with Blizzard's help. That said, we don't seem to have the game dev's backs on this site.
    Any reference links available would be vastly appreciated.
    Last edited by Avatarded; 10th November 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Okay you need a giant walkthrough with potential. Potential is not a regular stat, it's a completely separate stat that equipment can get. Potential is symbolized by either 2 or 3 stats at the bottom of the equipment display and you know if you have potential if the item has a blue, purple, or yellow border around it and has (Rare), (Epic) or (Unique) on the top representing its rank. Rare being the lowest and Unique being the highest. Potential equipment are sought after because they can have special stats like % stats. % stats are levels above base stats and can make someone go from a 10k range to a 100k range with enough % stats from potential.
    Now... There are 4 tiers of potential and each tier is better than its predecessor.
    Tier 1 involves all equipment leveled from 0 - 30. It's the lowest tier and not worth your time to scroll with potential scrolls. Best % stats here are 1% rare, 2% epic, 3% unique.
    Tier 2 involves all equipment leveled from 31 - 70. It's a decent tier but you should find potential just from the equipment that drop from monsters. If you maker items at this level it probably wont be worth your time to potential scroll them. Best % stats here are 2% rare, 4% epic, 6% unique.
    Tier 3 involves all equipment leveled from 71 - 120. This is the tier that most shoot for since it's a lot easier for most classes to reach than the 4th tier and it gives good stats if you stack up on all of your equips. Best % stats here are 3% rare, 6% epic, 9% unique.
    Tier 4 involves all equipment leveled from 121 - 200. This tier is the best tier there but there is a very limited amount of equipment that are above level 121. Currently it's the elemental wands and staves and the VIP equipment. Best % stats here are 4% rare, 8% epic, 12% unique.
    Now about getting the potential from scrolls. There are 2 scrolls called the Potential Scroll and the Advanced Potential Scroll. Each scroll finds a "Hidden Potential" in an equip and you use an item that you can buy at a potion shop called a "Magnifying Glass" to discover what that potential is. The Potential Scroll has a 70% success chance and the Advanced Potential Scroll has a 90% success rate. If either of the scrolls fail your equipment is destroyed. After you potential something you cannot reset the potential unless you buy a cash shop item called the Miracle Cube. This resets the potential of the item back to hidden and you can use another magnifying glass to re-discover the potential. Cubing items can give you a chance to get a better stat on your end-game equips and even raise the rank of them. Also you can raise the rank of an item with cubes but you cannot drop the rank of the item.
    There is something else about potential stats. You either get 2 or 3 potential stats and I've heard that you can raise the amount of potential stats from 2 to 3 but you cannot drop the amount of potential stats from 3 to 2. 3-lined potential equipment are the better ones because they have more stats.

I hope this information helped.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Avatarded View Post
    Having played Diablo II since a year before the LOD release on Christmas of 99, I get the gist of what your saying when you say decent skills, like Diablo II it seems gear in MS can now do more than just stats, I found a warrior axe that could proc slow at a low rate.
    Hidden-Street is my maplestory Arreat Summit. Unfortunately I can't find all of the info I'm looking for in the repository alone, a problem it took Arreat Summit a few years to work out, even with Blizzard's help. That said, we don't seem to have the game dev's backs on this site.
    Any reference links available would be vastly appreciated.
    The "decent" skills in MS are more like oskills in D2. But yeah.

Even though you've sort of had your questions answered in other threads, here's a link explaining about the potential system. Not sure if anyone linked to that yet. Didn't really read the other threads lol. Toward the bottom it lists stats that potential can give to a certain item. I wouldn't call it the "ultimate" guide or anything but it should help.

Slightly off topic: I love you for mentioning Arreat Summit and comparing it to HS. <3