Thread: [GUIDE] How to get rid of Icon Text Backgrounds

Hybrid View

Default [GUIDE] How to get rid of Icon Text Backgrounds

I'm sure you all know and hate what I'm talking about. This:

So I'm going to teach you to change this

to this

First off, right click on My Computer and click Properties. When the dialog pops up, go to the Advanced tab and click the Settings button under the Performance section.

From here, you can mess around with any of the settings you want, as it's quite easy to understand and reverse. Checking the Adjust for best Performance will uncheck everything in the list and make your theme look old, but your computer will run pretty quickly. Checking the Adjust for best Appearance will check everything in the list and your computer will have plenty of animations and the like, at the cost of running speed.

Anyway, that's not what we're here for. Check if the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop is checked or not. If it's unchecked, you will have a background colour behind your icon text. If it is checked, you will have no background colour behind your icon text.

Congratulations, you just got rid of possibly one of the most ugly things on your computer!

If the above didn't work, post a reply back and I'll see if I can help you. Don't just say something like "doesn't work". How am I going to fix that? I'd rather something like "Blankaex, even though the box is checked, I still have the background behind my text. I use an [example graphic card], running on [example operating system], etc."
    Last edited by blankaex; 1st November 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Most of us here have moved on to Windows 7.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    Most of us here have moved on to Windows 7.
    I don't think I'd ever switch OS until there's one that actually works properly, not just looks nice. And also, my XP is skinned beyond belief, no one would know how to use it except me. Which is why this is important if you care about what your desktop looks like :D

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    I don't think I'd ever switch OS until there's one that actually works properly, not just looks nice. And also, my XP is skinned beyond belief, no one would know how to use it except me. Which is why this is important if you care about what your desktop looks like :D
    I'm not sure what you mean by not working properply, but that's pretty much the definition of a decade old OS as less and less people support XP now. Beyond that nice guide for people who didn't know how to do that.

At first when I came in here and saw that pic, I thought the drop shadow thing was cool, but then you were telling us how to get rid of it.
    by Cryopon

I use Ubuntu 10.10

good guide though 10/10 though it was a bit random