Thread: Headphone Input

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Default Headphone Input

There's something wrong with my headphone input on my laptop (Dell Latitude D830).
    No matter what speakers/headphones I use, sound barely comes out of the right side, while the left is perfectly fine.

I still have a few months left on my warranty, so I can just call Dell for a free replacement should I need it. But before I bother calling and setting up a time, what are possible causes of this problem?

Also:
    When I shut down my computer and attempt to restart, it often won't get much past the bios screen before shutting down again. If I leave my laptop alone for ~2 minutes, it usually starts up fine. This after any length of a shutdown. If I do it at night, then turn it on in the morning, the first attempt at starting will fail and I'll wait ~2 minutes. An immediate restart gives the same result. First does not work, wait 2 minutes, and it starts.
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 1st November 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Spoiler!

take it in for a checkover.

That requires time. I need my laptop for school, especially now that I'm starting on final projects. Dell will generally do remote "diagnostics" then send some guy in to fix it at my dorm. This is the only way I'll get free replacement parts unless I send my laptop in.

Spoiler!

Ever heard of-surfing the net for information?

That's....kinda why I posted on here O.o It's why this section exists.

Spoiler!

First problem: The port probably accumulated foreign debris that caused contact problems with the port and the audio jack input. Could be anything from too much dust to too much oil.

Second problem: I would assume it would be a BIOS issue, either caused by some corrupt value or incorrect settings. If you've got some computer know-how, then try reseting the BIOS to default values and change the values back. If you're daring, then try to flash the BIOS assuming that DELL has a newer BIOS version out.

However, since the audio port is most likely a hardware issue and not a software issue, you'll need to send it in anyway, so just tell them about problem 2 as well. That way, it saves you a lot of hassle.

Well, that's the great thing about Dell repairs. With my warranty, I don't send anything in, they come to me within 1 business of the remote diagnosis. If they can't remotely diagnose it, they send someone to do it anyway.

The first problem seems pretty easy, I assume they'll just do some tests then take my word that it's not working (like they did with my AC adapter input).

How do you think they'll "test" the second problem? If I'll be sitting on the phone for hours, I need to set some time aside.

Spoiler!

I have no clue how they'll test the problem. Best way is to just set aside some time.