Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PhD problem?

Icon11 PhD problem?

What do you guys think about this? Do you think the world's pushing too much for higher education degrees or do you think this is just overreacting? This affects some of us who are in high school and will enter college eventually or are in college already as an undergrad since we may have to/might be thinking about higher degrees in the sciences.

I believe that a more educated world, is a better world. Becoming a doctor in an already superiorly developed nation (as compared to the US) such as Japan increasingly becoming the norm. There are two solutions that my brain has hatched in the past 10 seconds
    1. Limit the number of Ph. D's
    2. Change society to handle the amount of Ph. D's (such as becoming more automated)

Still, remember 34,000 out of billions and billions of people is still not alot. One of the main reasons why the system can't handle it is because of capitalism. Buy cheap, sell high.

I know I am going to get my Ph. D... well, because if I don't, ill be the only one in my family without one... ;_;
    Last edited by Merciless; 25th April 2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Coming from the educational field, yes, this is a massive problem. It's gotten to the point that most teachers are required to have a Master's degree (at least) to even be considered for high school (or even grade school) jobs. I'm beginning to think about graduation, but every source I turn to suggests even more education. Beyond frustrating and disheartening, it's just not feasible for many people. Realistically, most jobs do not require that level of education. At this point it's just become stand-out resume filler, and advisors are even recognizing that. Hell, most people will student teach years before they get an advanced degree. As tempting as being a "permanent graduate student" seems, I just don't think I'd have the heart to continue on for years and years in anticipation of a ~50k per year job.

Compare that to the education my mechanic friend went though. He took three trimesters of courses (mostly hands-on) and immediately found a job working for an auto-repair shop. After six months he became certified and began working at a decent salary. That kind of education obviously works well for most hands-on jobs. I just don't see much practical reason for advanced education unless you're going into an advanced field.

Spoiler!

I'm a Deaf ed. major, so laaaaa deee daaaaah!!!!! ~~~~~ =P <3 <3 ^-^ ^- ^ desu? desu.

shots shots shots shots shots shots (mostly everybody!)

So I heard schools don't want to hire people with higher degrees because they would have to be paid more. It sucks, but I think they'd have better chances if they went for the higher degree but took the lower salary. Then again I think the teacher's union is against that because they're a collective ****.

Most of the engineering professors here are old people, who are too old to be in industry anymore.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

well that sucks =/
    i was considering pursuing a phd in something but idk if the bragging rights are worth the crazy money it would cost..

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I'm going for a PhD in English just so I can force my friend (becoming an actual doctor) to call me "Doctor"

and, as I always say...

If I'm on an airplane/bus/whatever and someone seizes and I hear the obligatory "Is there a doctor on board", I can stand up announcing "I AM A DOCTOR!"

then quote milton
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 25th April 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Spoiler!

When the plane/bus/whatever breaks down I'll scream I'M AN ENGINEER but I wouldn't know anything about fixing an airplane.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I'm not qualified to give an opinion on the matter that means anything, there are probably very few here who are.
    Gone with the wind

May not be qualified but I'll go ahead and give up my opinion.
    I think a more educated world is a better world but of course jobs aren't always guaranteed. I'd go with Merc's plan, I thought on raising requirements but people will simply meet those requirements no matter how high they may be. Though I've always wondered what would happen if the world was full of educated people, there simply wouldn't be enough resources to create jobs for all, though that's probably a result of limited thinking.