Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best speakers for $150 or less? (Speakrs OR headphones)

Default Best speakers for $150 or less? (Speakrs OR headphones)

Hey guys. I'm not sure if I should put this in the tech support or not, but I put it here instead.

I'm looking for the following:

• 5.1 surround (7.1 optional, 5.1 ALMOST a must.)
    • Good, if not excellent bass. (I play the **** out of dubstep)
    • Loud. and I mean LOUD.If it's a headset, LOUD is a must, if it's speakers, then I want loud-ish, but not over-the-top.
    • Music / gaming. It doesn't need to have excellent mic quality, but I want excellent SOUND quality. When I say gaming, I mean, so I can chat with my friends, at least. Not CATERING to gaming like common Turtle beaches.
    • 3.55mm(I think) jack / USB, as that is what my soundcard has. (The green plug)

That's about it. I need some recommendations on any good headsets, as I want to buy one sometime before summer.

I expect Merciless and or PhoenixRider to give the best recommendations. Don't. Let. Me. Down. Guys.

:D

my logitech G35's are doing a pretty awesome job

not to mention that they come with a voice mod
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-C...7325037&sr=8-1

I guess another option would be to get these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over...7325192&sr=1-4

I got these before I went to India to have some actual headphones instead of earbuds. Bass is god (IMO), and sound and build quality is excellent

it comes with two cables, one is a simple audio (AUX) cable, and the other has a mic and volume control. And yes, the sides are actually steel plates. They aren't gaming headphones by any means, but they are pretty nice and probably will get the job done.

as for the g35's, my tf2ing has improved because now I can actually tell in which direction a spy uncloaked. and man, do they get pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

The "best" speakers or headphones? Impossible. Like literally impossible.

There are so many entry-level and mid-range speakers and headphones, it'd be impossible to tell you just one of them was the "best."
    I'm not a speakers-buff, so I wouldn't know a lot about that, but I can tell you headphones are all about taste.
    First you'll need to decide if you want a closed (as in sound isolating [NOT NOISE CANCELLING]) or open (wider soundstage).
    Then you'll need to decide what aspects of the headphone you value more (value, price, comfort, sound, durability, looks, etc).
    Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Phiaton, Sony, Grado, JVC, Koss, Philips, Denon, Bose, and V-MODA are just a few reliable, high-quality brands.

As for specific models, I can name the Sennheiser 518 (smooth, warm sound), Audio Technica ATH-M50 (a standard in mid-range audiofidelity, a little too muddy with bass for some), Shure SRH840 (definitely a contender with the M50), Grado SR125i (Grado is generally very bright and string-heavy), and M-Audio Q40 (for bassheads).
    None of these have mics btw, but the Zalman Zm-Mic1 does the job way better than any other commercial headset.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

That really depends...

If you want good surround sound, then you want to shy away from headphones. If you don't mind simulated surround sound, however, then you can give them a try; a setup like the Sennsheiser HD280 or the Sony MDR-V6 with a lower-level sound card such as the Asus Xonar DG will run you around $100 (provided that you don't already have an independent sound card with a headphone amp), maybe a little more. Couple that with a decent independent microphone and you should be fine.

If you don't want anything of the sort, then give the Corsair Vengeance series a try. The USB 1500 is capable of simulated surround sound provided you use Corsair's audio drivers, and the non-USB 1300 is stereo, though can also achieve simulated surround sound just like any other headphone through certain dedicated sound cards or drivers. Note that the Corsair Vengeance series are headsets, while the previously mentioned Sennheiser and Sony models are headphones.

As far as microphones are concerned, I'm current using a Logitech USB Microphone and it's doing a fine job so far. Straying off the topic here, I want to have a go at the Blue Yeti O:
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    my logitech G35's are doing a pretty awesome job

not to mention that they come with a voice mod
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-C...7325037&sr=8-1

I guess another option would be to get these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over...7325192&sr=1-4

I got these before I went to India to have some actual headphones instead of earbuds. Bass is god (IMO), and sound and build quality is excellent

it comes with two cables, one is a simple audio (AUX) cable, and the other has a mic and volume control. And yes, the sides are actually steel plates. They aren't gaming headphones by any means, but they are pretty nice and probably will get the job done.

as for the g35's, my tf2ing has improved because now I can actually tell in which direction a spy uncloaked. and man, do they get pissed.
    Hmm, curious how's the voice quality on those G35s? Trying to move on from my razer mic+headset, because the headset is broken and I'm down to using just the mic.

Despite many people saying they've had them for years, since a few months after having my set the wiring inside of the special 'fabric' wire protector was always giving me ****, it eventually came to the point where I have to fold it in a specific way to get sound out, and it's just unbearable. Can't get em fixed cause I didn't keep the receipt, so I'm looking for a new set of headphones, before I give up and just buy the same pair and use the old 'oh they broke' trick.
    Gone with the wind

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-...7798422&sr=8-1

probably your best bet for that price range for what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRider View Post
    wow, your an idiot
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    Hmm, curious how's the voice quality on those G35s? Trying to move on from my razer mic+headset, because the headset is broken and I'm down to using just the mic.

Despite many people saying they've had them for years, since a few months after having my set the wiring inside of the special 'fabric' wire protector was always giving me ****, it eventually came to the point where I have to fold it in a specific way to get sound out, and it's just unbearable. Can't get em fixed cause I didn't keep the receipt, so I'm looking for a new set of headphones, before I give up and just buy the same pair and use the old 'oh they broke' trick.
    my pair of g35's have been doing quite excellently and people can understand me online, which I think is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Bit of a "necro" here, but who cares..

My desktop speakers seem to be going out, so I need to get new ones. My parents have offered to buy me a pair, since I need audio to do my School. Currently, I'm using these, but I'm getting a popping sound from my left speaker. I've confirmed it's not my soundcard by hooking up another pair of speakers. And also because of the reviews on them say that is a common problem. My budget follows the $150 or less guidelines, but can have exceptions made. Such as "This pair costs $150, but for an extra $50 you get a wireless receiver" deal. Granted, I don't need a "wireless receiver" but that's an example. In a nutshell, any important "must have accessories" do not affect the $150 base budget, that's an added expense. I listen to mostly dubstep, trance, electro, techno, etc. I'd love the BEST base I can get, but of course, $150 won't get you a whole lot. The speakers don't have to be a "pair" either. I could buy the subwoofer, and then a pair of speakers to go with it. Just as long as the total doesn't exceed $150 or so. Items on sale count, too.

If you need an example of the music I listen to, here's a few songs:
    (Yes, this is Pony music, but has some pretty hard bass.)

Around 0:40 is the bass "drop" in this song.

Around 1:50 in this song. "Slightly" harder than the last song.

About 0:47 in this video.

That's just an "idea" of some of the dubstep I listen to. My $25 pair tries their hardest, but it's just not enough. I KNOW for a fact I can double, if not TRIPLE my base by adding $75 on top of that.
    I also had an idea of buying this, and buying a pair of speakers for like $60. Since that's about the best bass I can get for under $300.

Opinions, guys?

So while there's a thread about headphones, I was wondering a few things. The mic on my headset broke and the headphone part of the headset isn't very good, so I'm wondering which headphones I should buy. Honestly, I'm fine with using a standalone microphone. I have a pair of these puppies, but I feel that they aren't necessarily the greatest for sitting at my computer listening to stuff (they get uncomfortable after a while, at least on the right ear).

What do you think I should get? I imagine I'd prefer a circumaural headset, but I don't know if I want open or closed. I listen to a variety of different musical genres, so I suppose I'm looking for headphones that handle highs and lows equally as well. I don't need the best headphones ever, but I'd at least like something with decent value. my budget is not fixed, but I don't intend to spend $200 or more. Frankly, I'd even prefer to not spend more than $110. As a side note, my computer doesn't have a nice soundcard. I intend to build a fancy computer this summer.

These looked cool, though they only have one review on this website: http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...asonic/RP-HTX7

I'll definitely look through what's already been said in this thread. Perhaps the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is a better option. Or while I'm looking at that brand, perhaps the A900.
    Last edited by supalime; 17th April 2012 at 03:18 AM.