Thread: Kittens!

Default Kittens!

So a Stray cat got into my garage and had kittens in an empty box. I'm not quite sure what to do for them. I left some food out for the mommy Cat, havent seen if she's eaten it or not, cause i dun wanna freak her out. She seemed pretty calm with me nearby tho, not growling or anything.

Here's the thing. I'd take em in but A) my husband's allergic and B) Mush would probably eat em, and C) i'd have to bring em to the vet for shots before i'd risk them making my dogs sick.

I don't know if she's feral or lost though she seemed pretty healthy. Couldnt really get a close look at the kittens - but there's at least 3 of em. No idea how old they are. (not really sure how to tell on kitten).

Should i move them into my basement or something so they stay warmer? - it's still getting near freezing at night here and the garage is not heated.

Any thoughts?

If i take em to the SPCA are they just going to get euthanized?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why Daos should never ever go away:
    Spoiler!

Is there a PetSmart near you? A lot of them have a Cats in Need chapter there and they are a no kill fostering agency.

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

Burgers!

... oh god I'm going to hell.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Feed the mom Cat Chow. Let them be otherwise.

Maybe when they're older get the males "done." Don't mess with the females, despite pet store propaganda. Male cats tend to go messing around, but females only bear about one litter per pregnancy. Also, it cuts down on inbreeding, while leaving a family line that doesn't die out. That is, neutering the females, is killing them all off (eventually).

Leave them where they are. Feeding them is one thing, but inviting them indoors upsets relationships with you and your doggie.

Since we have over 15 cats, here's your best advice:

Our barn is not heated, and it gets down to 30 degrees here. Like, from January-March / April. Secondly, only supply the Cat that had kittens food. This is obvious, but I'd like to state this. Also, we haven't given ANY of our cats shots. And most of them were either strays or we got them from another farm. You could move the Cats inside, but you are running the risk of the dogs getting them. Moving them inside when your husband is not around is an option. Just make sure to place the box up high. You should also make sure to keep up with the Water and food they have. Other than that, just keep an eye on them and make sure they stay fed and warm.

Whatever you do, don't let your dog near them if you have one. My dog tends to eat newborn cats on our farm whenever she sees them because she wants to play but she plays with them too hard.

That's the hardship of living on a farm. (I should write another rap about that...)

Also one time on Christmas morning, a cat showed up on our deck missing a leg. I was like wtf, so I went outside and saw a trail of fur coming from our (ride) lawn mower. Somehow that cat got under the lawn mower and chopped it's leg off.

Well she took her kittens somewhere last night. But i left food out for her that she ate tonight. So at least she'll be fed...

Maybe she can be my garage cat :D

Why Daos should never ever go away:
    Spoiler!

you can call animal control and they'll take them to a shelter