Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden-Street Hardware Buyer's Guide

Sadly, this month's update has been canceled due to me receiving a lot more work from school than anticipated. Especially since I try to do updates at the beginning of the month, I haven't had time to compensate in my schedule for the load. Consequently some things have fallen off my plate (such as this month's update). Given that the month's about half way over already, I will be skipping September's update and hopefully resume regular updating in October.

The site is another thing that got suspended for the month. Work should start again once I figure out where to fit it in my schedule. The point where I stopped I was having trouble getting jQuery to recognize newegg's json document as legitimate... I think I need to switch strategy from json to a page scraper.

Banned

Dae is it worth going from a 560 Ti to a 670?

Guide Updates (10/6/2012):
    1. Links updated
    2. EoL products removed or replaced
    3. Added NVIDIA 660 Ti to Section 5
    4. Added NVIDIA 660 to Section 5
    5. Added AMD Trinity APUs to Section 2
    6. Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 and Freezer 13 added to section 8
    7. Considering either cutting or massively overhauling Section 13
    8. In the interest of actually getting something done, I’ve decided to scrap the idea of scraping for newegg prices. In lieu of that I also want to move the site from Javascript/HTML over to PHP.

@Sayo
    I would say no unless you're getting like 27 fps on a game you're just dying to play at a pretty graphics setting (alternatively, if you move up to a 2560x1600 or similar monitor that'd justify it too). Overclock the card you have :).

Guide Updates (11/10/2012):
    1. Links updated
    3. Added AMD Vishera CPUs to Section 2 Recommendations

Not much was done at all this month. Sorry about that. Tests and papers galore -_-.

Banned

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104318

Thought if anyone's interested in this mouse. Regarded as one of the best gaming mice around.

Icon11

Guide Updates (12/8/2012):

I guess I should've said "lack of guide updates..." Due to the turn of month being right near finals for me and with the holidays coming up, I've decided to forgo updates for December. January's updates should be on time if I don't get too wrapped up with New Years.

Then again, we could all be killed by a giant flying Mayan calendar shooting lasers at us on the 21st so I won't worry too much about January just yet.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season! Sorry if any of you were looking forward to seeing the updated prices this month.

Since everyone else seems to think I'm stealing the thread for wanting to add more to the guide, all contents is removed :/

Instead I'll just mention that the Logitech G300 is a cheap way for someone to get hold of a mouse that has a lot of buttons on it. Similarly, the Logitech G110 is a somewhat budget option for a non-mechanical board with a bunch of buttons on it for the macro-minded :P
    Last edited by FanOfKOTOKO; 3rd January 2013 at 03:22 PM.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

Banned

Way to steal someone's thread for your +1 TL;DR

Guide Updates (1/10/2013):
    1. Links updated
    3. Multitasking sub-section for CPUs updated with more specific information
    4. AMD Vishera CPUs added to Section 2 Recommendations

The new Vishera CPUs still use the same FX prefix as the last generation, and the first number is still the number of cores the processor has. The only difference between first generation FX CPUs and second generation FX CPUs is the name Vishera.
    Vishera CPU's have a "3" as the second digit, where Zambezi CPU's had a "1" as the second digit. ex. FX-8350 vs FX-8150.