Thread: Russ' Guide on Dragon Knights

Hybrid View

Icon2 Russ' Guide on Dragon Knights

Unnecessary, overrated banner.

© Russasaurus [ CVS ]

Please enjoy this NyanCat parade that gets broken like 3/4 of the time.

* Best viewed with Google Chrome and HS forums dark theme *

⊱ ⊰

Salutations!
    After browsing through the Guides section, I see that there is an old, out-dated guide on DKs.
    It saddens me that there have been no guides from that point on.
    This guide will serve as a general view for the current Champions update.
    Because I am part of the Pre-Big Bang era, there will be errors when it comes to builds that involve updated skills.
    I hope that this guide will serve well to all future bandwagoners Dark Knights.
    I plan on keeping this guide up-to-date with new content and updates whenever I'm not busy.
    If anyone finds wrong or new information not on this guide, I'd appreciate the help of you posting it here to make this guide more accurate.

* I have temporarily quit MapleStory so further questions regarding builds and new updates/skills are no longer within my knowledge.
    I base and confirm all updates from Nexon and Southperry to ensure my guide is kept updated and available for your need.

PERSONAL INFO
    Server : Bera
    IGN : Russasaurus
    Playing Status : quit until further notice
    Guide Status : up to date as of v.118 Champions in GMS

UPDATES
    Spoiler!

© Russasaurus

⊱ ⊰

STR
    The obvious and most important stat for warriors. STR is required to wear all equips and weapons under the Warrior category.
    Extra STR can be obtained from equips that give +STR or %STR. Having %STR equips is highly recommended, but getting %STR equips will be costly in both NX and mesos.

EXTRA
    If you don't understand what %STR is then a guide to what it means
    and the whole Potential system is located right below.

{ DA POTENTIAL SYSTEM GUiDE }

DEX
    In the previous Pre-Big Bang era, DEX became a hype for warriors and was categorized into RegDEX, LowDEX, Dexless. DEX was a necessary stat that allowed warriors to have enough accuracy to kill certain mobs or go bossing. Since the Ascension era, DEX is no longer needed for accuracy because there is a new accuracy formula, but DEX is still needed to equip certain armor or weapons of choice. I recommend a Dexless build because DEX has a minuscule influence on accuracy, accuracy is now based on your current level at the moment, most equips require no DEX at all, and equips that give a high amount of DEX are enough to compensate for the lost DEX which makes following a RegDEX build a complete waste of time.

Examples

Pre Big Bang
    Spoiler!

Post Ascension
    Spoiler!

RegDEX : Normal input of DEX. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE THIS BUILD EVER! [ NOT RECOMMENDED ]
    LowDEX : Limiting input of DEX at a low number. The example I provided above is my DEX, a lowDEX one. [ RECOMMENDED ]
    Dexless : No input of DEX at any given point of your character's life except when your base STR is 999. [ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ]

Example Weapons that require no DEX
    Spoiler!

Example Weapons that require high DEX
    Spoiler!

© Russasaurus

⊱ ⊰

Yay, I'm finally getting this done after 10 years!

In terms of HP potions, they aren't necessary once you have Dragon Wisdom because at its max level, you have a 20% chance to convert 10% of damage to your HP. In my opinion, getting 10% of your HP back is a lot. Whenever I trained or bossed occasionally, I barely relied on my HP potion stack. As for MP potions, the MP cost for using our skills is a lot because of our low base MP even with Hyper Body. You will notice that you run out of MP a lot quicker than usual after you hit 4th job. For example, if you have about 4,000MP with Hyper Body and divide it by Dark Impale's MP cost at max level which is 53MP, you can only use Dark Impale about 75 times before you run out of MP. Spamming Dark Impale 75 times doesn't even reach the spamming skill limit of 100. Here's a list of HP & MP potions that you can or may rely on for your training/bossing:

tl;dr : You use more MP than HP as a Dark Knight.

EXTRA
    For those of you who are curious, the potions that I used are:
    Training : Ginseng Roots & Sorcerer Elixirs
    Bossing : Ginger Ales, Sorcerer Elixirs, & Power Elixirs

Example HP Potions
    Spoiler!

Example MP Potions
    Spoiler!

Other Handy Potions
    Spoiler!

© Russasaurus

⊱ ⊰

PROS
    Self-reliant due to Beholden [buffs, damage, & healing in one whole package]
    Largest hit-box range compared to Heroes & Paladins *increased hit-box - Alliance Eternal*

CONS
    Lowest base HP compared to other Heroes & Paladins (can vary if points are put into HP)
    Slowest in attack speed

© Russasaurus

⊱ ⊰

FIRST JOB : WARRIOR

Spoiler!

SECOND JOB : SPEARMAN

Spoiler!

THIRD JOB : DRAGON KNIGHT

Spoiler!

FOURTH JOB : DARK KNIGHT

Spoiler!

© Russasaurus

⊱ ⊰

Guide Created by CVS, 8.19.11

Please do not claim this guide as yours; if referring to this guide, give all credits back here to me.
    All images belong to their respective owners.

Spoiler!

© Russasaurus
    Last edited by CVS; 25th September 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Dragon Knights and not Dark Knights?

I would have thought that 23 dex was the highest any warrior should go, but maybe it changes with Dark Knights (and Dragon Knights). Maple Warrior also only effects base stats, so it won't work for a dexless warrior.

I wouldn't say Dark Knights have Low Base HP. Look at Bowmasters. Unless you mean Low Base HP compared to the other warriors, in which case you'd also be slightly wrong. Heroes have the most base HP but least MP, while Paladin and Dark Knights are equal on both fields.

First job
    HP Boost last. Unless the player happens to be struggling with their HP at early levels, but that really shouldn't be happening.
    Slash Blast is generally first, so you can hit more monsters. However, while training at Mixed Golems I found I was using Power Strike more due to the smaller mob sizes, so...yeah... (that's just me, probably).

Second job
    Booster is generally brought up to 6 (or whatever level to player desires) as soon as possible to increase attacking speed. Other than that, it looks fine.

Third job
    Your description of Magic Crash is slightly off. Magic Crash dispels most simple mob/boss buffs, such as Power Up and Defence Up, but also prevents mobs/bosses from casting any new buffs. It can't dispel Weapon and Magic attack cancel. I think there are also some exceptions, such as Damage Reflect.

I'm not going to comment on Third and Fourth job builds as my DK is about level 71. But I like how you've included how many skill points you get per advancement. Let's me be lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DlPSHl7 View Post
    Dragon Knights and not Dark Knights?

I would have thought that 23 dex was the highest any warrior should go, but maybe it changes with Dark Knights (and Dragon Knights). Maple Warrior also only effects base stats, so it won't work for a dexless warrior.

I wouldn't say Dark Knights have Low Base HP. Look at Bowmasters. Unless you mean Low Base HP compared to the other warriors, in which case you'd also be slightly wrong. Heroes have the most base HP but least MP, while Paladin and Dark Knights are equal on both fields.

First job
    HP Boost last. Unless the player happens to be struggling with their HP at early levels, but that really shouldn't be happening.
    Slash Blast is generally first, so you can hit more monsters. However, while training at Mixed Golems I found I was using Power Strike more due to the smaller mob sizes, so...yeah... (that's just me, probably).

Second job
    Booster is generally brought up to 6 (or whatever level to player desires) as soon as possible to increase attacking speed. Other than that, it looks fine.

Third job
    Your description of Magic Crash is slightly off. Magic Crash dispels most simple mob/boss buffs, such as Power Up and Defence Up, but also prevents mobs/bosses from casting any new buffs. It can't dispel Weapon and Magic attack cancel. I think there are also some exceptions, such as Damage Reflect.

I'm not going to comment on Third and Fourth job builds as my DK is about level 71. But I like how you've included how many skill points you get per advancement. Let's me be lazy.
    Dragon Knight sounds cooler in name imo.

That's why I mentioned that having equips w/ DEX will help if it's necessary. Also, I never really cared about DEX back in preBB because I had plenty of DEX coming from my equips and was still able to hit mobs ~30 levels higher than me 90-100% of the time so I kept it low without having any knowledge about DEX. I'm also pretty sure they go dexless now since warriors don't need DEX to wear most equips.

I was comparing to other warriors. I'll clarify it. I was browsing around some ss' on warrior HP/MP and my base HP was still lower compared to Pallys at around the same level as my DrK.

Well, leveling from 10-30 is a walk in the park as of right now and only using your first 3 level ups after 1st job isn't gonna kill the person.

Hmm, I'll reorganize the 2nd job build then.

I'll clarify MC's effect because what you said was what I was trying to say.
    Last edited by CVS; 20th August 2011 at 11:29 AM.

I'll check up on DrK and Pally base HP and MP then.

Much appreciated.

Pre BB, DEX was an issue for warriors due to how accuracy was done back then, but in post BB, all warriors should be dexless, level is (almost) the whole deciding factor in accuracy, and on top of that, STR adds accuracy as well (added in Chaos I think). Unless you are wanting to equip stuff such as VL gear or a stonetooth, (some funded people can do this with 4 DEX), you should keep your base DEX at 4. Of course as you get near level 200 you base STR will max out and you'll have no choice but to add DEX. Most players can achieve +40 and more in all stats without too much effort.

Post jump, all warriors will get a skill that gives a passive +30 STR/DEX boost.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I just started a DK, first warrior class ive ever done (i've played MS on and off for about 4 years now) and I gotta say I love this guide. If I may though, the training locations are a bit outdated. Unless it's just me, NLC cant be gotten to unless you're level 30+ so rotting skeles are out (or if you have a family member to tele you maybe??). Mixed golems are also outdated. With the cannoneer class came like 4-6 maps (acc?) which include starfish and jellyfish. The cool jellyfish on the map just before florina beach (sorry... i tend not to pay attention to the names although it's easily found) give 56 exp each compared to golems at 50 exp ea, and the spawn is just as good if not better, i literally go from blue ribbon pigs straight to the jelly's until level 30 (of course if you're not funded you may want to progress steadily through these maps {pigs --> starfish ---> cool jellyfish} or you could end up losing all ur pots n mesos.) Not sure if it's already been pointed out, but that's my experience with locales. From there everything seems to be spot on. Can't wait to see what else you got comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by KizuneTakada View Post
    I just started a DK, first warrior class ive ever done (i've played MS on and off for about 4 years now) and I gotta say I love this guide. If I may though, the training locations are a bit outdated. Unless it's just me, NLC cant be gotten to unless you're level 30+ so rotting skeles are out (or if you have a family member to tele you maybe??). Mixed golems are also outdated. With the cannoneer class came like 4-6 maps (acc?) which include starfish and jellyfish. The cool jellyfish on the map just before florina beach (sorry... i tend not to pay attention to the names although it's easily found) give 56 exp each compared to golems at 50 exp ea, and the spawn is just as good if not better, i literally go from blue ribbon pigs straight to the jelly's until level 30 (of course if you're not funded you may want to progress steadily through these maps {pigs --> starfish ---> cool jellyfish} or you could end up losing all ur pots n mesos.) Not sure if it's already been pointed out, but that's my experience with locales. From there everything seems to be spot on. Can't wait to see what else you got comin'!
    Thanks. I haven't really checked out the new places since I barely go on, but thanks for informing me.