Thread: Identity online

Hybrid View

Default Identity online

stop trying

As cringe-worthy as it was, I like the comparison between your online identity being more like a diamond rather than a mirror. Obviously I don't want my real friends knowing that I go under multiple variations of 'Kitty' and discuss K-Pop and I don't want people on the internet knowing I'm actually a socially awkward pimply kid. So that's where Facebook always makes me nervous. Like he said, it throws a blanket statement over your identity and you're forced to show everybody a single picture unless you want to go through the hassle of making multiple accounts yourself. But then Google+ doesn't even allow that, forcing you to use your real name. And it's obviously becoming an issue with employers pretty much always checking Facebook now to scout out employees and disqualifying potential employees for one small slip-up.

I don't like how he namedrops his own canv.as site, a shallow meme generator tool, in a keynote about social networking. I was initially interested in it, seeing as it could have possibly been a social networking tool that solves the problem of layered personalities, but not really now.

This post feels like a whole lot of nothing to me. Whoops.

I was hesitant to allow interweb peeps on my facebook because they tend to come from areas of the web I'd rather not make public, Maplestory being one of them. Ever since I did so I've been relatively happy doing so. There are times where I think about undoing this when revealing posts are made by said friends but I've come to the point of my life where I publicly embrace my interests which has generally given me the image as that funny-weird-black-dude-with-the-spanish/italian-sounding-name. Weird because of my interests but not so much because those I talk to end up revealing their similar interests.

In short, and with more clarity: I don't think Facebook is wrong in creating a mirror image on the web, what's wrong is people's inability to be honest with themselves and their interests. Of course it will hinder your job search if you aren't careful with the content you add, but every part of life can be hindered with carelessness. Nothing privacy features and logic can't solve.

The only real problem is when anonymity isn't respected or is the minority. Which is a growing problem with government eyes trying to shackle it with monitoring and regulation.
    Last edited by PhoenixRider; 23rd October 2011 at 10:43 AM.

stop trying

The problem with the inability to be honest with your own interests is that your interests and, (for me at least) your personality, will always change over time.

I don't play MapleStory anymore. And I don't really have any interest in talking about the game at all. But through connections I've made over the years, it's now a permanent part of my history. In five years time, I won't be watching anime. In ten years time, I'll be a completely different person. I was lucky enough to go through my most embarassing years before I got a Facebook. Moot talks about this in the video; how kids mature and grow over the internet, cultivating their interests and just overall growing as a person. But with kids these days who have Facebook before they're even teenagers, they don't have this guise of anonymity to grow under and to make mistakes with. So when we start forcing kids to post under their real name, we start creating an entire history and record like that. And kids at these fragile ages don't have the sense to determine what and what not to put under their name. In time, it eventually becomes not an issue of wanting Facebook/my online identity to reflect my true self, but wanting Facebook/my online identity to reflect my current self.

Yeah I see what you mean, though I believe facebook is only really a fad and will fade with the rise of the next social network. Website popularity doesn't last long and so conversations will get buried by either the closure of it's server or the deletion of your account. I guess I'm not so worried about this but I do think it will destroy the futures of some kids who make terrible mistakes.

stop trying

No doubt, websites fading in and out of activity definitely do a lot to hide any unwanted information.

Semi-unrelated, but exactly how long will it take for the Facebook empire to fall? Look up some quick numbers, MySpace had 100 million active users at its peak. Facebook is currently at 5 times that. It's hard to imagine such a monster fading out so quickly.

he swallows too much. nervous speaker much.
    couldn't sit through the whole thing, got sort of tired of him after a few seconds.
    the only parts i got were:

1. he's from 4chan
    2. he hates facebook
    3. something about google controlling people.

i'm pretty sure facebook wasn't tiered towards heavy internet users like myself and/or kitty and/or this guy; probably 90% of the people i know use the internet for 4 things: facebook, twitter, google/youtube/videos, and email. these people don't need anything else.
    from what i understand, he wants to make a site that makes everyone super internet-savvy or something...

also he makes it seem like the internet is an essential part of growing up
    lol4chan.
    BACK WHEN I WAS FIVE WE DIDN'T HAVE NO INTERNAT AND WE ALL PLAYED OUTSIDE

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by KittySamurai View Post
    In five years time, I won't be watching anime.
    Spoiler!