Thread: I think this guy is trying to scam me, but im not sure exactally how.

Beginner

Default I think this guy is trying to scam me, but im not sure exactally how.

Ok, if you have been following the chatbox for the past 2 weeks or so you will know that im trying to sell my motorcycle so i can buy a small car, to get to and from college. well, i got a hit on the bike, but after reading the email im a bit skeptical, and think its a scam, but for the life of me i cant figure out HOW it can screw me over. That's why im posting here, i need you guys to give opinions on if this guy is trying to scam me or not, and if so, how he would go about scamming me out of the bike.

Here is the email:
    Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response; I'm very glad that the item is still available. I live in Indiana but presently am out of the state on a business trip .I work as a Marine Engineer, so phone calls are not allowed when on duty. I wish I could do just that. Nevertheless, I will love to make an instant purchase, so please and please do withdraw the posting from Craigslist, I don't mind adding an extra $20.00 for you to take the posting down from Craigslist so that
    I can be rest assured that am at hand of the item. I will also like you to know that I will be paying via certified cashier check, and it will be over night payment due to the distance. You don’t need to bother yourself with the shipment; ok, I will do take care of that. So
    I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1. Your full name

2. Your mailing address [be it residential address]

3. Your phone number.

Once again, I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping...I will have my mover come over as soon as you have
    cashed the check.
    Like i said, things about this email seem off to me, but i cant think of how i could get scammed. so what do you guys think?

exactally

Ask for him to call you first so you two get a one-on-one conversation. Don't give address.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Banks usually cash the checks (assuming they're not too much), but the responsibility will fall on you if it comes up as a scam. That means you'll simply be out the money and likely the product, assuming it had already been shipped.

It's a pretty obvious and common scam.

Spoiler!

I concur

I tried to sell a kids bike (my old one) and I got pretty much the same cookie cutter response 5 times like the one you posted.

Sorry, I am currently in x, but am very interested in the bike. I can wire you money so please take down the ad on craigslist, etc etc etc.

it's a scam.

also what motorcycle are you selling?

also, no one uses "via" except in legal jargon. That word right there is a dead givaway that it is a scam. Also, he's a marine and using the word facilitate. lolwat
    Last edited by Merciless; 9th November 2011 at 07:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Beginner

thanks for the help guys, im not very knowledgeable when it come to scams, but i knew something was off.

and its a 2003 Suzuki Savage.

=3 Wow <3 it <3

Beginner

Which raises a point, if anyone wants a 2003 Suzuki Savage and has no problem with coming to Alabama to get it, hit me up, im trying to get $1500 for it minimum.(by all means delete this post if its breaking any advertising rules or something.)

Quote Originally Posted by ehw View Post
    =3 Wow <3 it <3
    Why did you post this

on topic:
    scams
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Scam written all over it.
    If he ain't paying up front and in cash, then he'll **** you up and make a dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehw View Post
    =3 Wow <3 it <3

Cashier's Check? Instant no.
    Gone with the wind