Thread: ATI Overdrive tab not showing up?

Hybrid View

Default ATI Overdrive tab not showing up?

Hey guys.

I'm trying to use the Overdrive feature which is supposed to come with Catalyst control center. (Or in my case, AMD Vision engine control center)
    I know of MSI Afterburner, but I'd much prefer this utility, as it appears safer. It's much more of an annoyance though, as I feel the Overdrive option should be there.
    I've updated my drivers, and CCC to the latest version, using AMD's website. I'm really running out of ideas, so I was hoping you guys could help me.
    This is what my CCC looks like.
    Spoiler!

I'm using an XFX Radeon 5570 1gb card.

The Overdrive option SHOULD be under Performance, but it's not. Also, MSI afterburner did let me overclock my car,d so the Radeon 5570 CAN be OC'd.

Help would be VERY appreciated.

Icon11

All right Wyatt, I don't have an ATI card, but I was able to do some research and come up with a possible culprit. According to information from this thread, the overdrive option could be tied to the ATI Hotkey Poller service. It mystifies me why this would be, but when I looked up more about the service I got this article which says specifically:

ATI Hotkey Poller (ati2evxx.exe) - Also called the ATI External Event Utility, this service is primarily needed if you use the ATI Hotkey settings available in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. However, before disabling this service note the following: If you use a third party overclocking utility, you must disable this service otherwise the utility may not work; if you have an XT, X1X00 or newer graphics card, disabling this service can also disable the OverDrive section in the Control Center
    This is my best guess at this since I have nothing to work off of except the sources I can get from the internet. Check if you have this service running, and if you don't try enabling it to see if it fixes the overdrive problem.

In order to modify the services running on your computer, go to your control panel, click administrative tools, and then click services. A window should pop up with a bunch of services on the right. See if the ATI Hotkey Poller is running, and if it is not, enable it and restart your computer. You might need to restart your computer before the change has any effect. See this thread for screenshots and more thorough instructions.

btw, I found this while I was researching the problem and I had to lol ^^; Be patient, I have a life too you know :P.

My AMD External Events Service is set ot automatic. Should I set it to manual, restart, then automatic, restart?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    My AMD External Events Service is set ot automatic. Should I set it to manual, restart, then automatic, restart?
    Not sure what this is, and I can't research right now. My research pointed me at the hotkey poller, but if that's the new name of the service by all means try it :P. I wouldn't go disabling/enabling/changing any service with the letters 'ati' on it though since that might break something :P. Research that service and see if it's the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    Not sure what this is, and I can't research right now. My research pointed me at the hotkey poller, but if that's the new name of the service by all means try it :P. I wouldn't go disabling/enabling/changing any service with the letters 'ati' on it though since that might break something :P. Research that service and see if it's the right one.
    That is the right service. They renamed it.

In other news, it appears I can't OC my card with anything AMD. ATI Tool, ATI overdrive, both of them do not detect my video card. Not sure what to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    That is the right service. They renamed it.

In other news, it appears I can't OC my card with anything AMD. ATI Tool, ATI overdrive, both of them do not detect my video card. Not sure what to do now.
    So that means you did get your overdrive tab back? That's good. I haven't OC'd a video card b4, see if you can ask F50, he might know some good tools. You could always try MSI afterburner which you mentioned in the OP.

edit: you need to learn how to Google lol. I just googled "how to overclock 5570" and this youtube video came up. I don't know if it's good or not, but you should be able to research a bit and find some tutorial that will work for you.
    Last edited by Dae314; 17th November 2011 at 04:34 AM.