• Send them all to India for tech education

0 0%
  • Priestly schools for added guilt

0 0%
  • Some sorta sci-fi instant-learning USB

0 0%
  • Herbal lore, forget all this science stuff

1 16.67%
  • Taoist system (keep people uneducated)

0 0%
  • Something AWESOME that I didn't think of

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving The US Education

Hybrid View

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default Improving The US Education

Mainly starting this article, because Empty House is kinda dull, and needs more drama.

Since some of us like kaglover live in Canada, this is by no means universal, but maybe they can give us ideas. My dad tells me that the average person from about 50+ years ago had a much higher standard of education. Fewer people went to college/university, because fewer people really needed to. Eight years or so (basically primary school) was a high enough standard that you would have an entry level job, and for something really technical you went to trade schools. Most people didn't bother with college unless they were planning medical, priestly, engineering, or legal professions.

Today? Trust me, I went out of college with a general history degree, and all I could find was entry level jobs. There are certainly some things I learned from college. But do we need this much time wasted, or could we compress it to what the average person needs for a job for primary, and technical schools for engineering, computer science, etc. Liberal arts education is terribly expensive, and leaves you in debt until you get out from under it (if you get out from under it), so leave that for really loaded people who plan to make a trade in just knowing more the rest of the population. Plus, with less of the population going more energy could be concentrated into smaller class size and better education could take place.

"When are we ever gonna use this stuff?" is code for "get to the point, stupid." Figure out what we will need for 2/3 of the jobs today, stop the over-testing, time-wasting, and brainwashing. Focus directly on the other 1/3 with trade school so the people in it for the long haul are actually sure they are going to use what they're being taught.

Okay, I've said my piece, the next of you guys that says "It's all about bulma" gets bish-slapped. Give ideas or shut up.

Thoughts? How would you improve things? Because coming out of college or graduate school in debt is unacceptable, regardless of what you earn later.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 23rd December 2011 at 12:08 PM.

The problem isn't the education, but that more people are going to college to get the "not entry level jobs". It's the competition that is killing us all (US Americans).

Coming out of college for education you want is fine, but it's not fine if you're just looking to competitively improve your own standing against others.

Also, can you remove that .gif image (the transforming dude) from your signature? It's quite creepy and old.
    by Cryopon

History degree and expects easy access to jobs.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

If you're going for a useless major, at least back it up with useful minors/concentrations.

I do agree that terribl geneds. are terribl though.

Spoiler!

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    Also, can you remove that .gif image (the transforming dude) from your signature? It's quite creepy and old.
    It's supposed to be creepy. But if it's old, that's a different story. ...Better now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    If you're going for a useless major, at least back it up with useful minors/concentrations. I do agree that terribl geneds. are terribl though.
    My dad had told be that people often switched out of their majors from overconcentration, so history is a decent major for general research, with Religion minor. Expected at least to get into seminary. Seminary expected, well... something out of me that I didn't have.
    "Please list leadership roles in church."
    Wtf?!? I'm fresh out of college, and wanna be (some sort) of priest. Actually favoring being an Eastern-style nature priest, but ummm, sorry, such schools are a bit difficult to find (Taoism not even recognized as a religion, just as application in acupuncture, Tai Chi, and such). If I was okay with leading an entire service before getting proper training, would I be in this mess?

Also, Penguinz is right. You can learn a great deal more about practical skills from loading boxes, checking and rechecking invoices, etc. Or defragmenting and rebooting computers on site. At least, until presumably about professional level, where much of knowledge is learned first by book (legal precedents, medical procedure, etc).

Remove grades 11 and 12, make sure you learn everything you would have to that point by 10, 10 is now your last year, 16 should be legal limit anyway where you should be done with that ****. Kids on the 'fast track' are doing college at this point anyway, this should be the standard. At this point you are 16 and you can:
    1)Get a standard 'high school' job
    2)Do first 2 years 'Associate's', this should get you any stupid job that says hurr durr we need to make sure you had SOME college
    3)Get an actual degree and not be **** tier
    4)Go to a trade school
    5) Get laid, if you want.

Kids done with basic school should be considered adults, and be able to do what they want with their bodies. None of this parental consent BS. You're a teenager, you're not a child, you know what your body is telling you without sex-ed nonsense. My brother and sister? Waiting until nearly thirty to have a baby.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 24th December 2011 at 01:36 AM.

If school started at 7, I would've been a dropout.

If all teachers were like Asian parents, I would've spent my days in juvie.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Drake

This is what my parents did and it was generally effective.

Anything above 95% in school: Good Job. Work more.
    Anything lower: Grounded until you go above. Work more.

... Yeah.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    History degree and expects easy access to jobs.
    i was going to say something along those lines. honestly, what did you expect? entry level jobs are even being taken up by engineering grads and law school grads :/

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    Longer school days, more intense school days. Homework should stop mattering more, school days should be longer (start earlier, leave later) ,I'm talking 7-5, okay, `maybe` 7-4, this is for your core studies, you should be forced to be enrolled in at least one extracurricular activity/sport (Chess, basketball, football,track, `clubs`), and these things should have their own limits, for example a club should have a strong limit to what it has to do, forcing this (no ****ing exceptions like 'hurr I have asthma bawww I'll just do NOTHING instead of trying a little').

I think this should solve a lot of the problems. In other words, basically: Stop being so ****ing casual with education, our education system is ****, just basically a glorified ****ing nursery, I can say this because :
    1)Just got out of it, I know how ****ing bad it is.
    2)My mom's a teacher, I see how bad it still ****ing is since I pass by the school now and then
    3)I live with 3 kids all in this **** and see how bad it is.

A big problem I see is homework, it's too casual, teachers are too lax, it's bull****, my cousin's bull**** their homework and somehow still get As and Bs because everyone is 'She's just a little girl' in elementary/first part of mid, then it's AWWWW **** ***** you grown up now, and you're getting Cs instead because they babied your ass the whole way.

You know Asian parent stereotype? Every teacher needs to be that way, not these white momma 'Do what you want honey, do you want a snack?' types, f**k that noise.

e:**** you for making an actual good thread, I had to unignore you just so I can see your responses without a million clicks, since this will most likely be a good thread.
    1. the asthma thing, it's not just an excuse (for me anyway). i mean i play tennis and i think after the 4 years i've played for my highschool, don't think my coach ever knew about it. (because i didn't want to tell her, because i didn't want it to be any different for me). but... i tried out for track my freshmen year, and that was pretty bad. there was one day, during the middle of practice, i simply just couldn't breathe and i started hyperventilating. i quit track haha. but anyway my point is even after using an inhaler and stuff, it wasn't very helpful. and mine is only 'sports-induced' asthma, so there's a bunch of people that have way worse breathing problems. so i would think if you legitly had asthma, you couldn't really try for a sport.. and also, some people are just all brains, and want to put more effort into studying rather than do a club or extracurricular.
    2. that's why there are honors, AP (advanced placement), and IB (international baccalaureate) classes. a lot more homework included. and in elementary public schools, there's the GATE program (gifted/talented kids) & they're piled with more things too. and actually, my brother, who's in 5th grade, he has hours of homework to do a day. he's not disabled or anything. it's just that they pile so much stuff on elementary kids these days tbh. i'd say his amount of work is equivalent to maybe my freshmen or sophomore year of highschool (not the difficulty level, the amount).
    3. if teachers were like asian parents, i would've dropped out a long time ago.

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

Humanities degree and expects a good salary.

I remember when I was an engineer student we'd laugh at them and chant "ten dollars an hour!" over and over again.

I know how to solve the education problem (or rather, the lack of it).
    Instead of going off into specialized "programs" in college/university/post secondary school, do it in highschool, in grade 9. Stop teaching Calculus to people who don't need it, and instead teach them something they want to learn about.

Guaranteed to drive up interest in subject, and as a result, grades.

I did a paper on this when I was in grade 11, and found out that the North American education system currently in use was created during the Industrial Revolution. How long ago was that?
    In addition, it was created so that people would be able to get jobs at factories. Obviously it's evolved a bit more; I doubt they learned modern Physics in their system. The point still stands. Standardized education is outdated and needs a revamp; it needs to be more intensive and drive good habits into kids when they are still young and not spoil them with a ****ing iPhone 4S at the age of 8.

e; I read somewhere about suicide rates. No offense if you know someone who commited suicide because of high school, but it's mindboggling that the easy, lax, completely un-intensive thing called "standardized education" could ever cause someone to seppuku.
    Last edited by emailbox; 3rd January 2012 at 11:43 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    My dad had told be that people often switched out of their majors from overconcentration, so history is a decent major for general research, with Religion minor. Expected at least to get into seminary. Seminary expected, well... something out of me that I didn't have.
    "Please list leadership roles in church."
    Wtf?!? I'm fresh out of college, and wanna be (some sort) of priest. Actually favoring being an Eastern-style nature priest, but ummm, sorry, such schools are a bit difficult to find (Taoism not even recognized as a religion, just as application in acupuncture, Tai Chi, and such). If I was okay with leading an entire service before getting proper training, would I be in this mess?
    That's not exactly what I meant by "useful minors/concentrations".

Spoiler!