• Send them all to India for tech education

0 0%
  • Priestly schools for added guilt

0 0%
  • Some sorta sci-fi instant-learning USB

0 0%
  • Herbal lore, forget all this science stuff

1 16.67%
  • Taoist system (keep people uneducated)

0 0%
  • Something AWESOME that I didn't think of

2 33.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Improving The US Education

That is not really a good idea to let 13 year olds work like everyone else.

I knew what I was going to get into since 8th grade
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    I'm in 12th grade and still don't know what to do with my life.
    Lol same.. wait I thought you were 10th grade. I though I was older than you by 2 years..

nobody ever knows what they want to do
    they just settle
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    You think that, but you're forgetting that up to grade 8 you were basically taught NOTHING you would ever find useful.
    This is true, but then again I knew algebra by 8th grade.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    That is not really a good idea to let 13 year olds work like everyone else.

I knew what I was going to get into since 8th grade
    The only problem with 13 year olds working now is that there's a mindset that screams "child labour", etc. I'm not saying change how the workforce works (though I feel that's somewhat flawed as well), I'm saying if 13 y.o's could work 100 years ago, then 13 y.o's now should ideally have learned enough to know what they want to do. If you knew what you wanted to do in 8th grade, that's just further proof to support the concept.

In the so-called "first world", the school system just babies people who shouldn't be babied. You stopped being a baby at the age of 5, now you're a child. You stopped being a child at the age of 13, so pick up some goddamn responsibility and stop *****ing about the newest iPhone.

I'm using 13 as an example, but I personally think it's a good age that people should start learning how to be responsible, and not just with their new iPad/Macbook/iPod/iPhone/****YOUAPPLE, but with their future.
    Last edited by emailbox; 4th January 2012 at 04:41 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I went to a school that did let you focus in on certain areas, at least after 9th grade (college prep school). Although we still had to complete a set of requirements, it was a private school, so you were given a pretty good choice of classes.
    I took many architecture, geometry, physics, and design courses to complete my requirements because I was almost certain that I wanted to go into architecture.

Despite getting a pretty thorough introduction to the subject, I began to realize in college that there were many advanced aspects of the subject that I did not want to do for the rest of my life. Had I not taken other general education courses, I would have had absolutely no real alternatives. It's kind of a double sided sword there. If all we do is give geneds, we make it difficult for students to decide what they want to do. If we force some form of specialization early on in high school, we don't give them any alternatives and will end up with quite a few uninterested workers. I don't want a doctor who dislikes his job operating on me, and I don't want to drive on bridges designed by disgruntled engineers. I also don't want to live in a world where people think any college degree will net a job, because that just leaves us with a bunch of creative-writers, philosophers, and poets. There has to be some balance.

Allowing students to gradually move into a field introduction is a good thing, but forcing them to make a "trade" decision is an awful idea. Despite what we say about "babying" them, teenagers really are still developing, and asking a 13-16 year old to make a relatively permanent life decision will not work out in most scenarios.

Spoiler!

Good point. I'll agree that not everyone will know what they want to do (some people might be torn between two completely different fields, I've known people like that). I still do think that "high school" should work more like post-secondary rather than elementary.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Bring back corporal punishment

When you are just entering the university, the most important thing here is to declare yourself by writing a good essay for admission. Fortunately, the company https://www.essayedge.com/graduate-essay-editing/ saved me from a similar mistake at this crucial moment. I have had difficulties in writing since childhood, and the editors helped me to finalize my essay.

it became clearer to me now. thank you! I agree that education changes thinking and that an educated person is always in a better position than an uneducated person. By the way, to increase your chances of joining, you need to prepare a quality personal message, help on this issue can always be found in ucas personal statement service. But acquiring knowledge does not end with graduating from university, in order to be a truly educated person, you need to constantly engage in self-study.
    Last edited by Xavi Nelson; 31st March 2022 at 03:55 PM.