Thread: "First Impressions Are Crucial"

Hybrid View

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default "First Impressions Are Crucial"

Yet another MSN article talking about the top four things that disqualify you for a job, and how people judge you due to how you look. Well, they do, this much is true. And sometimes as is probably the case in me (though here too is a misunderstanding, and I feel like I'm judged "disrespectful" rather than "slovenly" due to my choice in clothes). But... sometimes it's just stupid wrong.

I mentioned how I was doing voice acting a few weeks ago, right? Well, I found this site which seems pretty good: http://www.starnow.com

So anyway, here's a few on the actors based on their profile (they also posted voices which I checked out).

Actor 1

Impression: Looks like a kid. Not sure about professionality.
    Actual: Very active, and is now in the process of doing two voice parts for me, both of them large.

Actor 2

Impression: From her eyes, she's looks kinda bored/apathetic. Wouldn't say she's serious. Her profile pics have her looking like a star wars geek.
    Actual: Until just recently, she was the first and most often to post. She was also the first to turn in all her lines, and far from apathetic, she's involved in a relief donation project for a deformed child. She is a star wars geek though.

Actor 3

Impression: Looks serious, probably will be prompt and professional.
    Actual: Average. Plus for the amount of lines I needed from him, it took forever.

Actor 4

Impression: Looks like an actress. Should be decent.
    Actual: Half the time, she wouldn't even respond to my messages. Never turned anything in. She was a flake.

Conclusion? First impressions, from my experience in hiring are wrong about 90% of the time. Yet we still use them and paperwork (which can be lied through the teeth on, and unless people have reason to investigate probably won't know) to determine whether someone is worthy of a job.

Here's a novel idea. Give people a trial week with no pay as the standard procedure.
    1) If a person wants to learn a new skill, they can gain actual experience (rather than banging their heads getting rejection after rejection)
    2) The employer is more likely to be okay with this, as it's cost free work.
    3) The employee less so, for the same reason, but it beats hearing "we'll keep in touch"
    4) It lets both parties get past their initial impressions, and get a real impression of both parties (is this guy a decent one to work for, do I like this job enough to stay here, is this employee reliable, do they actually know what they're doing)
    5) Ideally, the employer should work them as hard as they normally would, to get the most out of them, and see if they do well under pressure.

But, judging by your impression section you thought the people who were useless were gonna be talented, And vice versa, showing that first impressions do mean a lot, it shows that they shouldn't.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Well, I figured everyone was gonna be talented, that's why they call it "talent." It was just a matter of impressions, and how I figured I'd need to work harder with one who right away turned out to be pretty responsive, and others who I figured would be very professional weren't. I actually turned out to be (mostly) right for my fifth actor, who was an old lady. I figured anyone who was her age and still in the business, was likely gonna be really be experienced, and on target with the acting. She was those things, while a bit slower than expected. But what I didn't count on was that her voice (not counting the slight scratchiness that comes with advanced age), was unexpectedly sexy and charming. This from a 60+ year old

My point being not that first impressions are "always wrong" but that the hiring system is very inaccurate compared to even 15 min of a job. I once was sure being a janitor/carpet cleaner was gonna be a piece of cake, and it was, but I still managed to mop myself into a corner the first time. Having someone have good credentials or references, and seeing their actual work are two different things (there were people on the list with multiple recommendations, who flaked out, so you couldn't even go by that).

Also, serious thread is too serious. Someone derail this with a random webcomic.

Spoiler!

My art blog

I don't think physical appearance matters if you're gonna be a voice actor, other than looking clean and presentable.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Here's a novel idea. Give people a trial week with no pay as the standard procedure.
    1) If a person wants to learn a new skill, they can gain actual experience (rather than banging their heads getting rejection after rejection)
    2) The employer is more likely to be okay with this, as it's cost free work.
    3) The employee less so, for the same reason, but it beats hearing "we'll keep in touch"
    4) It lets both parties get past their initial impressions, and get a real impression of both parties (is this guy a decent one to work for, do I like this job enough to stay here, is this employee reliable, do they actually know what they're doing)
    5) Ideally, the employer should work them as hard as they normally would, to get the most out of them, and see if they do well under pressure.
    This is already done in "real" companies however the employees are paid. They are generally hired for "training" and during that 1-2 week time, they are given tasks they would normally be given as well as general training for the company. If the employer/employee don't think it will work out, then they discuss it.

The first impression issue is important because the way you present yourself is more often than relevant to how you work and how dedicated you are to the job. Yes, it's not always correct because some people prefer to be themselves in an interview and some dress up just because they want the job and no other reasons. Another reason why first impressions are good would be the physical look of the company's employees. Yes, if you don't look that part, you most likely won't get the part (in the corporate world and the more professional IT world).
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

i looked at #4, and i thought she wasn't going to be serious or w/e.

my first impression, usually people think i'm anywhere from 3-6 years younger than my actual age... so they're pretty surprised when they find out my actual age. and yeah they treat me differently if they think i'm a kid

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

1. bulma is a man.
    2. this is the internet. you are trying to apply your internet experience to the real world. that's incredibly stupid, for one, and absolutely baseless.
    3. you're posting other people's pictures without permission. congratulations, you've just proved yourself a retard.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

a dumbass baby

If I were an employer and you came into my office like a jackass, I wouldn't hire you.

Also, background experience. Should you screw up or goofing off you're fired.
    I'm Retired.