View Poll Results: Background?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grew up in a closeminded church, (now atheist)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (still there, sadly)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (became closeminded)

1 5.56%
  • My church was kind (I'm still devout)

4 22.22%
  • My church was kind (but empty, so I left)

2 11.11%
  • No religious background

6 33.33%
  • Parents were atheists, so I'm atheist

3 16.67%
  • I have my own religious beliefs

8 44.44%
  • Something in life happened, and it changed the way I believe

6 33.33%
  • Something different I didn't mention

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism Part 3: The Final Chapter (I hope)

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Icon1 Atheism Part 3: The Final Chapter (I hope)

Sorry, couldn't resist sticking a catchy movie title name.

I think we've settled most the religious issues before, so that's not really (In fact, IF you go on and on about what you believe, it's a derail and I will beat you up) the issue here. I think the fact that this is more or less resolved is why both of the former Religion/Atheism thread have now died back. So that's not the topic here.

This is a less, "what you believe", and more a "where'd you come from" thing. So, I'd sorta like to know.

Spoiler!

I'm an agnostic. I believe in God, that's not what I believe/doubt about. My faith is natural and human (based on anime, music, and other stuff), so what I've become agnostic about is whether humans can love each other. Where does this come from?
    Spoiler!
    (Too bad, it's spoilered too. And ya gotta enter a password)

So ummm, that's where I come from.

I was raised with no religion. Therefore I am not a member of any established religion. From an "outsider looking in" point of view, I see religion as a good base for morality with a stupidly dumb "flying spaghetti monster" part tacked on it. And the crazies make me think it's dangerous.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Nah, it's not dangerous. People are dangerous, in groups. When you've got a list of grievances and people all gather together and blame each other, then you get most of the wrong stuff.

So, no, religion is not dangerous, because as several theologians have put, religion is actually not about what goes on in church/temple, it's what goes on in your head. Your religion is by definition your worldview, and thus atheism counts. If you were afraid of "religion" then, you'd end up being afraid of your own personal beliefs. Screw that.

<---- (Bulma probably counts as one of the crazies)
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 29th October 2011 at 06:49 PM.

clicked view post:
    1. Empty house?
    2. Existing thread on the same page?
    3. Your faith is based on anime?

I don't know where to start, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    I was raised with no religion. Therefore I am not a member of any established religion. From an "outsider looking in" point of view, I see religion as a good base for morality with a stupidly dumb "flying spaghetti monster" part tacked on it. And the crazies make me think it's dangerous.
    The over-simplification hurts.
    Religion doesn't necessarily = good base for morality as there are a lot of completely crazed religions. Scientology, Santa Muerte, Creativity movement being a handful of many.
    Btw flying spaghetti monster is a cool way of not having to study on anything specific.
    Every American is a warmongerer, Every Jew is a zionist, every wester- oh wait where have I heard this before.
    I'll give you one thing though, being illogical is easy.

I don't really like the choices you gave for atheism. Yes it is true that I have no religious background, but besides that, I chose based on my own thoughts and examining what we "know" to come to the conclusion that religion is a hindrance to society in the form that it is currently in (for the most part, again). That is why I am an strong atheist with some agnosticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

My post count is frozen. Megadeus's Avatar

I was raised with religion, but I began to doubt the words and I don't know if I believe or not, anymore.
    Well isn't that interesting?
    What's this? You bothered to highlight my sig?You're very bored then, aren't you? Ha. Ha. Ha.

1. thread made by bulma. laughable.
    2. this is the most pretentious thread title i have ever seen in my entire time on hidden street. "final conclusion"? lmfao you act like you can end the "debate" with a thread on a maplestory forum full of atheists. obviously there's going to be no bias there, right?

thread made me hit my face against the table several hundred times, then go to the hospital for severe brain damage.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Drake

i became an atheist when i saw this thread. made me lose faith in humanity and religion.

On a more serious note, probably when one of my friends told me that the Earth was created much earlier than the truth. Loses too much credibility, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by OrangeGuy; 29th October 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Spoiler!

I was raised to be a muslim and accept stuff without question. Nope. I like to question.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I grew up devoutly christian and still agree with the Catholic Church's official stances on most social/moral issues (this is what really defines a religion's success for me).
    I stopped participating because a great deal of the community in my area was strongly close-minded, even to the point of denial. They'd loudly support extreme social conservatism and would tout the importance of the Church, even when the Church blatantly disagreed with them. I remember hearing a homily about loving and accepting all people, regardless of race, social standing, ethnicity, citizenship, etc. This was during the heart of the illegal immigration debate, and the priest made no mention of legality. He spoke solely of charity and acceptance. While listening to it, I thought I finally had something to be proud of in calling myself Christian. On the way out of the church, I overheard many conversations going something like "What part of 'illegal' don't they understand; they're not welcome" or "Maybe if they didn't try to act so 'gangsta', we'd care about them." The best was, "It's not my job to help the lazy bums in poverty." I'm not going to get into a mess if these are your ideas, but knowing these people thought this way and still claimed to support the church disgusted me.

I know it's wrong to base my beliefs off of a very specific instance, but right then I realized that I had no desire to deal with those people, and I always ended up running into them at church. I kept finding them even when I tried to go to the church near my college, so I stopped going entirely. After a while I stopped having a desire for deity spirituality in general.

The biggest problem I currently have is the community. There are many churches and denominations that I agree with, but I have yet to experience a strong, positive community in my area.

Spoiler!