Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Engineers

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default Calling All Engineers

Since a few of you claim to be engineers, I thought I'd make something fun in terms of problem solving. Note that these don't have to have a current real world solution, just whatever ideas you can throw around. Feel free to add more...

1) Let's say I lose my wallet all the time. Design a checking/credit system that is identity theft, and is pretty much something I can use without identification (password, touch screen, blood/DNA tests, etc)

2) Using a chainsaw is good for trees, but they have a lot of nasty side effects, like the motor oil smell and the fact you can't just make a clean cut through the object. Also, the chain sometimes snaps and gives nasty facial slashes. Using some type or energy, alloy, or other principle, design a better cutting tool.

3) In general, a cellphone is small enough to be easily lost. A laptop is big enough to spot,but annoying to haul around in a backpack everywhere, meaning it gets left at home. Figure out how to make a difficult to lose computing device that either shrinks down, or is fully functional but always on your person (much like a The Wizard game glove or earbuds).

If you choose something that exists, think about what personal touches you could add.

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

1) Checking/credit system that is identity theft? O_o

2) What the hell kind of chainsaw are you using?

3) Tablet

Phantom Watch

1) Don't lose your wallet. User-end responsibilities.

2) Lose-lose. You pay to power a chainsaw and you take the risk of hacking off a limb or two. Or you pay in labor to use a regular saw and take the risk of hacking off a limb or two. No such thing as a cheaper, safer, better alternative.

3) Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it's enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Since a few of you claim to be engineers, I thought I'd make something fun in terms of problem solving. Note that these don't have to have a current real world solution, just whatever ideas you can throw around. Feel free to add more...

1) Let's say I lose my wallet all the time. Design a checking/credit system that is identity theft, and is pretty much something I can use without identification (password, touch screen, blood/DNA tests, etc)

2) Using a chainsaw is good for trees, but they have a lot of nasty side effects, like the motor oil smell and the fact you can't just make a clean cut through the object. Also, the chain sometimes snaps and gives nasty facial slashes. Using some type or energy, alloy, or other principle, design a better cutting tool.

3) In general, a cellphone is small enough to be easily lost. A laptop is big enough to spot,but annoying to haul around in a backpack everywhere, meaning it gets left at home. Figure out how to make a difficult to lose computing device that either shrinks down, or is fully functional but always on your person (much like a The Wizard game glove or earbuds).

If you choose something that exists, think about what personal touches you could add.

1) communism

2) Iodine Laser or water jet. Of course, it depends on the tree itself

3) Mini computer implated in your head with mind control. Implant UI lenses into the eyes, allowing the person to view what is going on.

i'm no engineer, just a chemist.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Revamp current economic and banking practices.
    Design commercially efficient devices that don't run on standard, common power supplies.
    Do exactly what every major computer company has done over the past 2 years.

Sounds like the recipes for two bad infomercials and one lagging company.

Spoiler!

1. What?

2. Use an electric chainsaw, be cautious during operation, and wear protection like you're supposed to; it wasn't designed with the intent for truly clean cuts anyways.

3. Tablet, netbook, or just don't lose your stuff in the first place?
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

1. Drive a tank over it
    2. Drive a tank over it
    3. Drive a tank over it

Spoiler!
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    1. Drive a tank over it
    2. Drive a tank over it
    3. Drive a tank over it
    And when in doubt, helicopter :D
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

2) Man up and get an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall under your purview of lots of things. I solve practical problems. For instance, how am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structuraly superfilous new behind? The answer is a gun. And if that don't work, use more gun. Like this heavy caliber tripod mounted gun designed by me, built by me, and you best hope, not pointing at you.