Thread: My dilemma

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

Default My dilemma

Last weekend I purchased some hardware for a new computer. I worked on it with a mate (he's really good with computers) but we ran into a snag. So he talked it over with some of his computer tech mates and we tried to get things to work this weekend. But we still have no luck. All the new hardware is installed but when we boot up the computer it gets to starting the OS before rebooting itself. My hard drive worked just fine before. In addition, it has a fresh OS installed now. We also tested another hard drive and ran into the same problem. So it isn't the hard drive causing the problem. We can run the BIOS just fine and it shows everything working properly (RAM, CPU, etc). We've run out of ideas so I thought I'd post here and see if you guys have any thoughts. Again, the problem is: the computer boots up, gets to loading the OS, and then reboots itself.

Here's the hardware: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and the hard drive. Also, the OS is WinXP SP3.

If you can try using a different OS might be different.
    I'm Retired.

Memtest the RAM. No onboard GPU? Do you have a GPU?

It almost sounded like the mobo "drivers" that were on your old HDD were conflicting, but since you've tried multiples...DUH!

As I am typing this, things are coming to mind. One: Do you have onboard video on the mobo? If not ,you NEED a gpu. Were all of the hard drives completely "blank" before putting them in? Because if any files of other motherboards are on them, you'll get this problem. I had the same problem awhile ago when I installed my new mobo. If possible, but a hard drive in your PC that is completely wiped. (Attempt to) install your OS on it, and see what happens.
    Otherwise, I have no ideas at the moment.

Edit: After looking into the mobo, it appears it DOES NOT have onboard video. Do you have an actual GPU installed? If you don't, this is your problem, guaranteed.

You're going to kick yourself in a few months when ivy bridge comes out.

Back to your problem, I'm going to list out a bunch of stuff you can do. I suggest you start with the first thing then work your way down.

If you're using an HDD from an old computer, you may want to follow some of the instructions here before moving the drive over. Just make sure to read the warnings and such :P.

Can you boot into safe mode? Are you able to boot off a CD or USB drive? If you can boot off a CD try to get a W7 repair disk and use some of the options on that.

Try loading memtest on to a CD and running that for 24 hours to make sure your memory's good.

If you messed with BIOS settings you can try to reset them using one of the methods here.

@Wyatt, newegg lied to you that motherboard has onboard video. You can even see the video connections in the pictures of the board :P.
    Last edited by Dae314; 6th March 2012 at 01:12 AM.