0 0%
  • Countermage

1 25.00%
  • Geomancer

2 50.00%
  • Archmage

1 25.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Classes Would You Like MS to Have?

I think why so many classes are just blends now adays is because nexon realized what maple is, a 2D MMORPG based around grouping up mobs (rush or its variants) and AoEing them down while having high mobility to train faster that is basically what maple training is in a nutshell along with some bosses. Because I mean think about it, the game is going less from when say the 4 mob hoodoo/voodoo maps were good to where the Chimney is beyond good also, now we have Aliens. As a result of this, I think nexon is mainly adding high mobility mobbing classes simply to even the pool out and let those people have said choices to kind of balance it that way. So, simply make everything fairly homogenized and let people pick their flavor or poison so to speak.

(I was actually mildly intelligent there for a moment, who knew.)

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

I think the whole complaint of "too many classes" is misplaced. MapleStory's selling point appears to be churning out as many classes as possible (sorta like a D&D session where everyone saw a bunch of prestige classes, and said I don't like those, let's build our own).

The one that they're "too much alike", however, is spot on. There are too many heavy hitter magical classes, and heavy hitter physical classes. We need more effect classes, and to have bosses that are more elemental weak/strong.

Captain Latanica, for instance, should have a high miss chance versus physical attacks, and a low miss versus magical (especially fire and holy). Griffey and Manon being the 3rd job's final boss before 4th, should be okay with everyone, but griffey should be weak to thunder and certain archery effects (sky critters can get shot down), and Manon is especially weak to ice. This is probably already true to a certain extent, but it should be more so. Pink Bean? He could possibly change his weaknesses, and heal if magic type is wrong (since maple is a "kid's game" there might be some blatantly obvious cue what he's weak to now, it's just a matter of telling all the lightning mages to stop casting). Also, have statuses work on bosses, but they have a 10 second limit regardless of whether the effect would exceed it, and a cooldown where status doesn't effect them.

I think my idea for Geomancer was to have a more physical attack mage, and have the magic be more involved with effects. You get a few elemental spells, like flame wall (which is basically sort of a line of fire close to the ground that mobs enemies with initial fire damage, then does persistent damage to anything staying inside it or walking in it like a poison cloud (this cannot damage flying enemies)), and blizzard (which deals initial and persistent cold damage around you but persistent only if enemies are weak to cold). You get alot of other mass spells, but they're mostly effects (like entangle which deals no damage, but enemies can't move, only attack, while being held by this) and all spells are based on the terrain you're standing on, making it a mixed bag (like phantom, you can equip a spell, for each terrain provided it's compatible (there are like four choices for if you're standing on snow, a few for grass, for rock, etc)). This means of course that the flame wall and blizzard have limited effect, because the former only can work in a few places (like Zakum's mine) and the latter almost never works for persistent damage, since enemies in a snowfield are not typically weak to ice. Some terrain has unclear ground (like ludibrium), and instead relies on ley lines for magical casting (the Geomancer can use a Draw Magica skill, which gives them one of however many statuses that boils down to "use geomancy as if standing on [grass/snow/sand/rock/etc]").

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    I think the whole complaint of "too many classes" is misplaced. MapleStory's selling point appears to be churning out as many classes as possible (sorta like a D&D session where everyone saw a bunch of prestige classes, and said I don't like those, let's build our own).

The one that they're "too much alike", however, is spot on. There are too many heavy hitter magical classes, and heavy hitter physical classes. We need more effect classes, and to have bosses that are more elemental weak/strong.

Captain Latanica, for instance, should have a high miss chance versus physical attacks, and a low miss versus magical (especially fire and holy). Griffey and Manon being the 3rd job's final boss before 4th, should be okay with everyone, but griffey should be weak to thunder and certain archery effects (sky critters can get shot down), and Manon is especially weak to ice. This is probably already true to a certain extent, but it should be more so. Pink Bean? He could possibly change his weaknesses, and heal if magic type is wrong (since maple is a "kid's game" there might be some blatantly obvious cue what he's weak to now, it's just a matter of telling all the lightning mages to stop casting). Also, have statuses work on bosses, but they have a 10 second limit regardless of whether the effect would exceed it, and a cooldown where status doesn't effect them.

I think my idea for Geomancer was to have a more physical attack mage, and have the magic be more involved with effects. You get a few elemental spells, like flame wall (which is basically sort of a line of fire close to the ground that mobs enemies with initial fire damage, then does persistent damage to anything staying inside it or walking in it like a poison cloud (this cannot damage flying enemies)), and blizzard (which deals initial and persistent cold damage around you but persistent only if enemies are weak to cold). You get alot of other mass spells, but they're mostly effects (like entangle which deals no damage, but enemies can't move, only attack, while being held by this) and all spells are based on the terrain you're standing on, making it a mixed bag (like phantom, you can equip a spell, for each terrain provided it's compatible (there are like four choices for if you're standing on snow, a few for grass, for rock, etc)). This means of course that the flame wall and blizzard have limited effect, because the former only can work in a few places (like Zakum's mine) and the latter almost never works for persistent damage, since enemies in a snowfield are not typically weak to ice. Some terrain has unclear ground (like ludibrium), and instead relies on ley lines for magical casting (the Geomancer can use a Draw Magica skill, which gives them one of however many statuses that boils down to "use geomancy as if standing on [grass/snow/sand/rock/etc]").

Yes, I do feel they have almost outright flooded the game, counting all the classes I know of from KMS to the newest versions there are I believe 35-37 classes total, but many of them are really same-y. Honestly, I want something like a battle mage, essentially an auramancer but you have like 1-2 attack skills per job adv, but the best flow is parties even just duo, you super power your partner or party and had map wide party passive buffs, useless for attacking but the auras are so strong you would have to be stupid to not take one, I always like playing one of those kind of things where you're essentially a walking aura of various energies which is why I think I like SMITE so much you can make your god/hero/whatever the specific game calls them basically have boots and 5 auras. Like say for example, you have 1 skill at first job that hits for 50% damage twice, second job 60% damage 3 times, and so on, but since it's such a low % ratio it's pointless to use if you have an option of a party.

How would the selling point be churning out as many classes as possible when that wasn't the case for years after MS came out?
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    How would the selling point be churning out as many classes as possible when that wasn't the case for years after MS came out?
    Maybe because people level almost "too fast" now and they get bored quicker so they keep making new characters, it's really for people like me and alt-a-holics, I just make one of every timed classes just to have them.

Thunder God

More classes is the best way for Nexon to make MS more interesting, though. This is a 2D game. Everything, and I do mean everything, is nothing but a collection of boxes. My character is a box who uses a skill that covers a box that affects a monster who is a box. That's the entire formula for the game. There is no way to get around it. All classes are just different ways of moving and affecting boxes. There just aren't that many innovative ways to do that. The most popular classes will always be the ones whose box can use the best skill box to affect the monster box. I like having many options for affecting boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorr View Post
    More classes is the best way for Nexon to make MS more interesting, though. This is a 2D game. Everything, and I do mean everything, is nothing but a collection of boxes. My character is a box who uses a skill that covers a box that affects a monster who is a box. That's the entire formula for the game. There is no way to get around it. All classes are just different ways of moving and affecting boxes. There just aren't that many innovative ways to do that. The most popular classes will always be the ones whose box can use the best skill box to affect the monster box. I like having many options for affecting boxes.
    With this statement, does it apply to just MapleStory? Or just 2D Games? Or MMOs in general? Because I find that a lot of "WoW clones" albeit some of them fun, all have the same formula. It's just the ones with the flashiest skills seem to "stick out more." Which might be why MapleStory has so many classes. It's just to keep the flashy promo videos coming so that they can attract more players, and sell more NX but that's just me.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Because after Big Bang and the massive speed-through with classes, people either level 200, or they ragequit a class. The key to making money is something like "well, this is new, I'll try this (and this, and this...) before I log off forever." I'd prefer new maps, but I'm not most people.

It's just to keep the flashy promo videos coming so that they can attract more players, and sell more NX but that's just me.
    Yes. And to keep those current ones interested.

Or they could have never started the speed through classes ****.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Or they could have never started the speed through classes ****.
    You're forgetting omar, a majority of maple players are easily distracted children in the age range of 10-15 that love new things.