Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website + forum for MapleStory videos (MMV etc) ?

Default Website + forum for MapleStory videos (MMV etc) ?

Hey people!
    I got an idea to create a website (with a domain, and forum), that will aim to those who make MapleStory videos (MMV's and in-game vids etc).
    I'll be posting tutorials, tools that can be good to have when creating MMV and prob other stuffs. Also make able for people to share their videos on the website.
    Not only that but sort of a 'Hollywood' team where we can make videos together (MMV collabs too) and help eachother.

Now just a few questions.
    Does any site like this already exist?
    Do you think anybody would be interested in it?
    And, do anybody wanna join me for making this? (I will buy domain and host)

I can't tell you about the community's interest in your project since I haven't been a part of the maplestory community for a while. This is also probably not the best place to ask since I'm not sure anymore who is still active in the MS community here. I also cannnot tell you if there's sites that already exist for the content you're working on because I never looked for any :P.

However, what I can do for you is give you some tips that I learned during the initial planning process for my website (which I'm currently designing). Because I am designing my own site right now I'm not able to offer you help with coding. Check out this thread where I detailed the tools and process I'm using to make my site. I highly recommend html5bp and SASS+compass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    I can't tell you about the community's interest in your project since I haven't been a part of the maplestory community for a while. This is also probably not the best place to ask since I'm not sure anymore who is still active in the MS community here. I also cannnot tell you if there's sites that already exist for the content you're working on because I never looked for any :P.

However, what I can do for you is give you some tips that I learned during the initial planning process for my website (which I'm currently designing). Because I am designing my own site right now I'm not able to offer you help with coding. Check out this thread where I detailed the tools and process I'm using to make my site. I highly recommend html5bp and SASS+compass.
    Hmm okay
    Well, the website creating and designing wont be a problem. (I've studied graphic design in school and aiming for that as a job). Programming skills I only got HTML , CSS, VB and C++. But I thought of use wordpress (I got a some great templates that I can also edit some how I want it. By that the site will be built quite so fast and still look very nice and good).
    And then I'll be using vbulletin forum (which hidden-street is using I guess).

Myself quitted MapleStory Europe for about 2 years ago, and since then been online just a couple of times with maybe a 2-3 week period as most (I tried out some new job).
    Kind of lost the fun in playing MapleStory, but still I am very interested in making MapleStory related videos (I tried before and used after effects where the 3D in the MMV turned out very great).

If I can think out a great name for the website that I can use on youtube and thename.com , I may create and see how far and successful it can become.

Well the maplestory creative community is rather dead on most forums outside Basilmarket. Might want to try there.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I do not recommend that you use vB for your forum software. I was part of the decision process for another forum that just updated literally a week ago. We looked at vB and decided that it was no longer a good buy. I would recommend the software we ended up with: IPB.

I can see that you're not very interested in starting from scratch so html5bp is kinda useless for you. However, if you've ever dealt with CSS you know that the language is a pain in the ass. There are no variables, no functions, no nesting, etc. SASS and compass are invaluable for making the CSS of your site much easier to maintain. If you haven't bothered to Google it yet, SASS is a CSS front end that allows you to use stuff like variables and nested syntax. SASS code compiles down to CSS too so you don't need to worry about compatibility or anything. Just install SASS on your system and style your site with it then copy the compiled CSS to your eventual production location. SASS is incredibly easy to install also. Once you get ruby in your system you just import a couple gems and you're done. Learning the SASS syntax won't take much either since SASS code extends CSS code. If you dump CSS into a SCSS file (the SASS code file) it works just fine. The only thing you have to watch out for with SASS is to not get too carried away with the language. Because SASS makes stuff like nested declarations so easy you can end up with unintentionally bad CSS code. Just be smart about what you're writing and you'll be fine though. If you're familiar with programming, you know what a library is. compass is basically a library for SASS. It gives you a bunch of useful mix-ins and functions that you can use to write better cross-browser CSS. For instance if you use compass' methods to add rounded corners to your style, compass automatically inserts the correct code for opera, firefox, chrome, and just about any other browser that you can think of.

I'm also interested in hearing what host you choose eventually and what your package is when you get one. Lets stay in touch. I can help you out with understanding a lot of the coding stuff. I'm also somewhat familiar with PHP and MySQL code. I'm not confident enough to start writing it myself, but I'm confident enough to be able to read it and know what it's doing. I've also started researching security issues so some of what I find in that area may help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    I do not recommend that you use vB for your forum software. I was part of the decision process for another forum that just updated literally a week ago. We looked at vB and decided that it was no longer a good buy. I would recommend the software we ended up with: IPB.

I can see that you're not very interested in starting from scratch so html5bp is kinda useless for you. However, if you've ever dealt with CSS you know that the language is a pain in the ass. There are no variables, no functions, no nesting, etc. SASS and compass are invaluable for making the CSS of your site much easier to maintain. If you haven't bothered to Google it yet, SASS is a CSS front end that allows you to use stuff like variables and nested syntax. SASS code compiles down to CSS too so you don't need to worry about compatibility or anything. Just install SASS on your system and style your site with it then copy the compiled CSS to your eventual production location. SASS is incredibly easy to install also. Once you get ruby in your system you just import a couple gems and you're done. Learning the SASS syntax won't take much either since SASS code extends CSS code. If you dump CSS into a SCSS file (the SASS code file) it works just fine. The only thing you have to watch out for with SASS is to not get too carried away with the language. Because SASS makes stuff like nested declarations so easy you can end up with unintentionally bad CSS code. Just be smart about what you're writing and you'll be fine though. If you're familiar with programming, you know what a library is. compass is basically a library for SASS. It gives you a bunch of useful mix-ins and functions that you can use to write better cross-browser CSS. For instance if you use compass' methods to add rounded corners to your style, compass automatically inserts the correct code for opera, firefox, chrome, and just about any other browser that you can think of.

I'm also interested in hearing what host you choose eventually and what your package is when you get one. Lets stay in touch. I can help you out with understanding a lot of the coding stuff. I'm also somewhat familiar with PHP and MySQL code. I'm not confident enough to start writing it myself, but I'm confident enough to be able to read it and know what it's doing. I've also started researching security issues so some of what I find in that area may help you out.
    Hmm okay.
    Well, I had thought to start with programming languages for some weeks ago. Since I can abit of HTML, XHTML, CSS and VB 6 & .net
    So I started learn more about XHTML, CSS and started with C++. Reason due to that is because I felt abit interested in it, IT-security etc (been trying out my skills on a game community where I made a few bots to my rl GF). But also another reason which is big, is that I want a job and get further in my life (no idea what I shall continue study, the graphic thing seems to be overpopulated and harder than the programming way which also got more jobs able).

So what I thought, was to start with simple website using Wordpress and a vBulletin (I already done it yesterday, but reinstalled it today cus I somewhat failed. http://maple.grokia.se for the vBulletin it's http://maple.grokia.se/forum ) I will later ofc make a .com domain to it, when I know what it shall be named.
    So, I'm using grokia.se as host. A Swedish host that's quite so cheap (about $2 a month, and I can quit whenever I want, and I can pay by my phone), having my personal website/portfolio and my association website hosted there too. 1 year on binero.se for example, which is a big company, costs about $100 a year. And one.com I heard got issues with wordpress (well, maybe wont need wordpress once I can the languages I need).

Will continue study HTML, XHTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript and other langauges needed to make a great website.
    Also databases is a course I start on university in a couple of months (has choosed some random courses as I was unsure if I would continue study and what to study etc).

Mostly what I thought about when I asked if somebody wanted to join me or help me, was mostly about spreading around to maplestory friends etc (as I no longer play anymore, I almost has no contact with anybody who plays it, except for one person on the Europe server).
    And then I will just start make videos etc and let the maplestory fans on youtube join.
    But ofc making the site great and secure is important aswell, but I kind of believe that wordpress is quite so secure as alot of people are using it(?).

Basilmarket seems to be great, as named in the thread. I remember my MapleStory song I made for over a year ago, got up there and made like 5k views in a week or so.

Icon11

Yup! I've read that wordpress is pretty secure. Actually I've read some people who say you should use a framework like wordpress to make websites now rather than hand coding it on your own from bottom up because wordpress and other frameworks are maintained and secured by tons of experienced coders. I chose to go with a fully manual website because I wanted to learn everything. I won't pretend to be a security expert though (because I'm not). If you really want to know about the security of wordpress you'll have to do your own research or look for a security expert who can tell you about it.

I did forget one more utility that will help you. jQuery is an awesome javascript library for interacting with the DOM and manipulating your website to display more interactive content. You should know about javascript though before you learn jQuery. For javascript I used an awesome tutorial called Eloquent Javascript. Not only will that tutorial teach you javascript, but it will also teach you principals of functional and object oriented programming. I have a strong programming background because it's my major of study so I was able to just skim those chapters, but since you don't sound like you've studied a lot of programming it might be useful to read through those sections more carefully.

I'm still a novice at web design, but looking at all the problems that crop up as I code a website from a pretty much blank page has taught me a lot. I look forward to seeing a more finished version of your site and forum.

there are tons of MMV tutorials and how-to's on youtube.

example: http://www.youtube.com/user/xPwahaha/videos if you look through her pages of vids, she has a lot of MMV tips and such.

hehehe

solelygrace+saiarain <3

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    there are tons of MMV tutorials and how-to's on youtube.

example: http://www.youtube.com/user/xPwahaha/videos if you look through her pages of vids, she has a lot of MMV tips and such.
    Ah okay cool :)
    Well, I was using vegas from start, but then I started use after effects that I been using alot around 2008 and 2009, I made up techniques how I could use it for making neat 3D quite so simple.
    So I prob will make tutorials etc about it, + making a few songs that my buddy wants me to continue do heh.

Well well, I made a MyBB forum at the end now, and the wordpress site I will start with someday. I just still thinking about what name the site shall have. I got some ideas.

btw, site begin to take form. Domain name I've chosen etc. Feel free to join in.
    http://maplevideo.com