Thread: Desktop issue

Default Desktop issue

Presuming it's not limited to just Maple things. My desktop keeps randomly shutting off without any warning. The screen stays on and the volume too, should they be turned on when the desktop dies. Been happening for the past 3 days so far. Scanned my computer and no viruses. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Spoiler!

My art blog

What do you mean by the screen and volume stays on?
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

The screen and volume are powered by separate plugs. When the desktop dies they stay on (If that's any clearer)
    Spoiler!

My art blog

Quote Originally Posted by Phazonkirby View Post
    The screen and volume are powered by separate plugs. When the desktop dies they stay on (If that's any clearer)
    Well that's to be expected. Your speaker and monitor aren't powered from your PC.

How hot does your computer get? Check your CPU temperatures with HWMonitor or Core Temp.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Icon11

But your speakers don't keep playing sound right?

What have you been doing when your computer turns itself off? Gaming? Has it ever turned off when you were writing a paper or surfing the internet?

The next time your computer turns off, look at a clock and make note of the exact time. Start your computer back up and immediately go into the event viewer (type event in the start menu and hit enter). So you don't have to sift through trash, choose create a new view on the right and check the boxes for "critical" and "error". Then choose "by log" and choose "Windows Logs" and click OK. Give the log a name (doesn't matter) and open it up by clicking its name on the left. See if there are any strange looking errors around the time of the shutdown.

You can actually do the whole creating a custom view thing before a shutdown since that'll save it into your event viewer and you can just look at it the next time you need it. It's goood to have a log like that anyway (idk why there isn't one bundled with the program itself...).

My early diagnosis is that demons have taken over your computer.

@Cliff - The casing itself never feels all that hot. I thought you got a notification if the pc got too hot though

@Dae - Yeah, no sound or visuals. Any currently there stop.
    Generally I'm browsing the Internet, but it literally happens at any time without warning. My mum could be playing Solitaire for 10 minutes and it happens. I could be on Tumblr and it happens. Here and bonk. Maple and bonk. Even if it's idling it could just turn off. No idea what causes it.
    I'll try to, but it really is random. I've started a new log and seen through some, but it's normally the same ones that shouldn't really effect it. They appear before it started happening. I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary either from the list. I'll have a check next time it shuts down though.

Got shut down again at 8:38am. Was just watching a video. Checked Event Viewer and the only things that were notable were:
    "The previous system shutdown at 08:37:13 on 26/05/2013 was unexpected."
    "Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown."

Still no idea what's causing it.
    Last edited by Phazonkirby; 26th May 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Spoiler!

My art blog

I'd backup your data IMMEDIATELY.

If you're not even getting a "Blue Screen Of Death," my guess is that the power supply on your computer is starting to die. From personal experience, I had an old XP desktop PC that randomly shut off, and kept doing so until it would just die as soon as the power button was hit. Googling the issue, and pretty much every website I found indicated the [dying] power supply was most likely the problem. I can't confirm because that computer was way too old/slow to bother fixing.

That might be the case here... It's not even that old of a desktop though, which is weird. Since earlier I've pushed the power cable in a bit more. If that doesn't solve it I might have to get a new power cable for it or a new desktop...

In terms of backup up, I've got all my uni work saved and up to date. If it'll allow me, I'll make a snapshot later.

Update: Made a full system backup of everything.

It seems after the initial shut down it seems to be... okay? It's been on for about 5+ hours now without any problems just idling. We'll see... But I reckon it could be the charger thing's dying...
    Last edited by Phazonkirby; 27th May 2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Spoiler!

My art blog