View Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?

Voters
322. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

227 70.50%
  • No

95 29.50%
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice vs. Fire vs. Cleric (Help on deciding, etc.)

Slime

Default Ice vs. Fire vs. Cleric (Help on deciding, etc.)

First off, I understand that not everyone will agree with me. Secondly, I can not give you the choice. You need to make it yourself. Third, I have never been an ice OR a fire mage, although I have had friends that were both. I designed this guide as a guide for myself, as well as others! Please excuse my typing errors, and enjoy!

OK, here we go...

Fire has training spots through lvl 100. Once you job adv. ice sentinals, kitties, etc. the big kitties, the jr yettis, and it keeps going up through Lycan's and beyond. Ice's training spots are sporatic at best. You train at things not lvl appropriate. (fire wins 1 point for training options)

Fire has amazing drops. They will not need to to buy really any equips (I.E. Thorns, Evil Wings, and Ankarunes), and if they do, they will be extremely rich from all the drops that they DONT need. Ice does have good drops, but really, only for the high levels. RECENTLY ADDED Many people disagree about the above statement. When writting this, I was only considering that F/P mages dont need to buy as many equips, if they are lucky. Ice on the other hand, does not have very many high-lvl mage equip drops. This, and only this is the reason I said F/P are richer. They do not need to buy as many expensive equips! (fire wins 1 point for wealth)

Fire is the only attacking skill F/P mages really have (in all seriousness).. I/L have two... Lightning is the only multi, and has some really good training places. Ice will own Tauro's in later levels, which the F/P cant. Also, ice has freeze. Whe you are fighting the big boys, this is amazingly helpful! you stop your enemy from attacking for two seconds! (by which time you can rip off another beam, and freeze him again) (ice wins 1 point for versitility)

Fire training is slow, at best. Their one attack gets boring. The stuff Fire fights is not always the best for exp (compaired to lit and ice). Fire will have a hard time agienst powerful mobs. They just cant hold them back (without using slow, or course) and the mob will keep coming. Ice on the other hand, freezes (as said before) so you can take on high-calibier mobs, while at the same time, forcing them back. Lit is the only mob attack, so that is for some major speed training. (Ice wins 1 point for training)

Fire is powerful. No doubt about that. The most powerful in 2nd and 3rd advance. You cant compete with the elemental bonus that F/P will get in almost all of the high level monsters. Ice and lit does have power. A lot at that... but for the most part, i/L dont get many elemental bonus's. RECENTLY ADDED It has been brought to my attention of the "Thunder Spear" dilema. Thunder Spear IS more powerful than any fire attacks for the third job. This is true. It has a base atk. of 170, while Composit Arrow (of fire) has a base of 150. The difference is that Composit arrow has a very quick atk. speed compaired to Thunder Spear (TS is VERY slow) and many of the high level monsters are ice (with the exceptions of Bains, and Werewolves... there are probably more, but I can not think of them ATM) so for many of these high level monsters (I.E. Lycan's, Yeti + Pepe, etc.) that drop some very good mage equips (I.E. Evil Wings, etc). For this reason, I said that Fire is more powerful that I/L. Also, Fire has Explosion, which (correct me if I am wrong) has a base of 150 to each monster... so even if there are but two monsters, you will do a good bit more damage than TS would. Really, TS does not have any elemental bonus's, because be my guest if you want to own Florina Beach, and OHKO everything there at lvl 80+ (fire wins 1 point for power [lit wins one point, if you feel it should])

Fire Arrow does not go through walls or platforms. I personally can find many cases where I needed to use something such as magic claw, because I could not reach the monster with bolt for some reason or another. The same applys with Fire vs Ice. Ice can go through walls. This provides many sniping spots, where as Fire Arrow miss's a lot because it can not hit monsters in many positions. (ice wins 1 point for accessability)

So, it comes down to Fire (2)3* - Ice 3(4)*

All is personal prefrence (as has been said so many times before). If you want power and wealth, go Fire. If you want a high level, and a lot more fun (and be a lot less bored) go Ice. It is up to you!

My personal choice is Ice. It may seem like I am leaning towards Fire, but I personally like I/L more

*Depends on who you think is more powerful

RECENTLY ADDED

I cannot, in good conscience compair Cleric to Ice and Fire. Cleric is not an attacking class. I do not know why many choice guide compair it as so. A cleric is for those that want to make high-level friends. A Cleric will really not level all that fast, but they can certainly improve a party from a bunch of friends, to a high-caliber killing machine. Clerics give the group extra defence. Without a cleric in the party, you would be delt twice as much damage. Also, the Clerics most famous skill, Heal. (this too, is not an attack. I dont understand while many guides make it as one. True, it does attack some monsters, but very few after Coolieo Zombi's.) Heal is a MUST for any party. Without heal, a warrior will burn through Ungani's (please excuse my spelling) like it is his last meal on earth. An archer will not be able to attack, for having to take the time with healing pots, and letting the monsters get close. A sin is the least dependent on Clerics, but still, it is nice not having to use a ton of pots. As I said before, you can not be a Cleric if you want to effectivly kill big monsters monsters alone in the second job. CLERICS ARE NOT ATTACKING MAGES (for this reason, I did not group them with the other mages)

So, to sum EVERYTHING up...

F/P = Rich and Powerful
    I/L = Fun and high levels
    Cleric = Support if you have friends. Everyone loves clerics, and they are helpful. You leech off those in your party in exchange for heal and othe abilities

Slime

Cleric option will be added at a later time
    4x Cleric, HolyLice (Khaini)

Buddy me, if you are inteligent and dont talk like...

"zOMG!11!1 LYK CN i b ur Frnd!?1111///"

I am a Princess Pal! GO MODS!

in the end it is still up to the user.. but this guide was kinmda enlightning... esp for those who does not know what wizard job to chose..
    Bootes:-

Lv 3X Wizard Ice/Lightning: Oc3AnLaB
    Lv 1X Rogue: Oc3AnLaBJr
    Lv 0X Beginner: Oc3AnLaBlI

Slime

Why thank you, good sir! Glad you appreciate it! lol, I just got bored, and started typing away! gave me an idea of what I want too

um what are you talkin about? fire is not stronger than ice in 3rd job. our thunder spear owns mages attacks...strength anyways.

fire and ice both have great drops. you cant just give a point to fire when ice has equally good amount of drops also. it doesnt matter much on what level you are.
    my siggy isnt working =(

Yes, this was a good guide. But my predicament is ice vs. lit. vs. cleric. I just have no idea which I will pick

Slime

Quote Originally Posted by kevie
    um what are you talkin about? fire is not stronger than ice in 3rd job. our thunder spear owns mages attacks...strength anyways.

fire and ice both have great drops. you cant just give a point to fire when ice has equally good amount of drops also. it doesnt matter much on what level you are.
    Sorry, I should have made your first questions answer more clear. Nothing but Clangs and Umpti's are weak to lit in high levels. So, for the most part, spear does not get elemental bonus's (to any high lvl's) while to nearly all of the high level monsters are ice, (with the exception of Bains and stuff) so fire gets those elemental bonus (150 base for composite arrow x 1.5) and makes it more powerful that spear. Also, thunder spear has VERY slow atk. speed, and I personally would rather have the fire atk. in third job.

For your second question... I was talking more of the mage drops (thorns and evil wings and ankarunes etc.) than others... True, I would have to say Ice takes the better drops for lvl 30-40 but other than that, Fire takes the cake.

Yeah, that tis all

I can probably say that both of you are right in some aspects of the two mages, but if you can't pick which one to choose, then make three different ones in the same world or in other worlds and just pick the ones that you want.

This is helpful though of what style of gameplay you want out of Maple Story though, instead of going through every mage you an possibly get, but if you still have a hard time, just pick one and get over it and try to have fun with the game.
    We all have problems, the difference is how we deal with them...

[flash width=275 height=200]http://photobucket.com/albums/v209/Alexar/?action=view&current=BlobertAnimationnotdoneyet_3. swf[/flash]

Yes I know my sig doesn't work...

Default Re: The great Ice vs. Fire debate! Get help on deciding!

Im going to go with Ice when i level up (3 more times >_> <_<) becuse Lizards are t3h secks.

Beginner

I'd have to say the fire mage is the most powerful, but when it comes to drops, it depends...

P.S. finally i've been able to register, woot XD
    Clueless20- lvl 40 fire mage (main,active)
    Brain Dead- lvl 6 pet
    Shurikenguy-noob (packmule)