Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Sports thread

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus
    yeah except that the nba is completely predictable...college sports are more spontaneous and playing away from home has a larger effect on the game. Also, in college basketball the players are playing because they love the game. You don't see them running into the stands and punching the fans, or carrying guns around at strip clubs at 3 am. (have to go to bed now, will discuss more tomorrow)
    completely predictable? who could have predicted this start to the season? And are you saying that there are no nba players that play because they love the game? And those things you mentioned only happened once. it's not like those things will happen on a consistent basis. (especially with the "no-tolerance" policy in effect right now >_>). It's basketball. A very emotional and dramatizing game. Tempers will tend to fly occasionally. The gun thing was probably uncalled for though ...
    Spoiler!

College sports are so much more exciting, i mean in pro sports, if the players lose then they still get paid, everything is fine, they just lose. But in college, this is their way to get to be a pro, if they lose then they dont have much of a chance.(there are exceptions)
    I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by KindaMaybe
    College sports are so much more exciting, i mean in pro sports, if the players lose then they still get paid, everything is fine, they just lose. But in college, this is their way to get to be a pro, if they lose then they dont have much of a chance.(there are exceptions)
    true. he has a good point. but then again, if you dont do your best in pro lvl, the team is going to lose fanbase that supports the team finacially. thus the pro teams cannot lose so often that its rediculous.anyways, anyone think bobcats have good chance of winning NBA finals?

krnboy1009 makes a good points. In college, you may be striving to reach the pro level, but on the pro level you're actually trying to make a living and supporting a family. I'm not really the superstars that get paid millions, i'm talking about the bench warmers. Once the money dries up what are they going to do?

Second point, there are just as many scandals in college sports as there is in the pros. Keep that in mind. Like sleepydude said, it's a competetive environment.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

But think, even the benchwarmers are making at least 200k a year, at least. Im pretty sure you could make a living and support a family on that. Specially when you are just playing a sport for it.
    I'm happy

True, it's at least 200k. I'm just thinking the longvity of their careers, if they don't perform. You can't be a benchwarmer forever, eventually you'll be cut. A star can last for years in the league barring a career ending injury, but a benchwarmer. Maybe a year or two at best. How many of these guys actually have a good money manager planning their future? My guess not many. So, my question is how long do you think 200k will last over the course of a lifetime? I'm saying the need to perform is still there, probably equal or greater than that of the college level.

Keep in mind, some of the contracts now are structured as paid performance; even if you're a star, you're expected to perform.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

But think, even the benchwarmers are making at least 200k a year, at least. Im pretty sure you could make a living and support a family on that. Specially when you are just playing a sport for it.
    agreed. but to make money, you need to keep your job, something that you cant do if you are not doing your best in professional league.guys lets not turn this into a debate . lets keep this plain and simple sports talk.

Table tennis(Ping-pong)! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009
    agreed. but to make money, you need to keep your job, something that you cant do if you are not doing your best in professional league.guys lets not turn this into a debate . lets keep this plain and simple sports talk.
    Well i think that if a player can go two seasons with sitting on the bench and not being able to show that he is good enough to play, then he doesnt deserve to be a pro sports player. Ok done with that.

Anyways, anyone see the niners win?
    WOO!!
    I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009
    Well i think that if a player can go two seasons with sitting on the bench and not being able to show that he is good enough to play, then he doesnt deserve to be a pro sports player. Ok done with that.

Anyways, anyone see the niners win?
    WOO!!
    hope bronco gets it right this season.