Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Quick question: DS vs. Strafe

Quote Originally Posted by ElderDragon View Post
    Why 560% ? Isn't it 4 shots of 100% at max ?

It may be an illusion, but it still seems faster, and that's reason enough to use it for me.
    Strafe has 4 Arrows.

Each arrow does 100% damage when it does not crit.

When they crit, its 200% damage.

The chance to crit is 40%.

Therefore, 40% of the time, each arrow does 200%. 60% of the time they do 100% each.

Therefore, each arrow has an average damage of 40% x 200% + 60% x 100% = 140%

Since there are 4 arrows in strafe, the average damage of strafe is 140% x 4 = 560%

Same concept for why DS is 340%.

Banned

Since there's a gauranteed minimum of at least 400% damage from maxed strafe, I prefer to consider that, instead of events that have probability.

Using that 400% damage for main calculations, then factoring critical damage at the end seperately, I believe, gives you a more accurate representation of the damage on could expect to see.

Overall, minimum damage is more important to consider when training with critical. Sure, theoretically I could do 800% damage to something, but I'd like to know the smallest amount of damage I'll do so that I can train normally on something.

Since there's a gauranteed minimum of at least 400% damage from maxed strafe, I prefer to consider that, instead of events that have probability.

Using that 400% damage for main calculations, then factoring critical damage at the end seperately, I believe, gives you a more accurate representation of the damage on could expect to see.

Overall, minimum damage is more important to consider when training with critical. Sure, theoretically I could do 800% damage to something, but I'd like to know the smallest amount of damage I'll do so that I can train normally on something.
    what if your crit is 99% chance? would you still consider the minimum of 400% or maximum of 800%? or the average of 796%?

the point is, average damage is what you should be looking at. it is ok to ignore the chances if they are very small (ie. less than 10%) or very huge (more than 90%), but 40% is something you must take into account of.

Banned

But see, it isn't 99%, it's 40%. The logic I present is used for this situation, I didn't say it applies to all situations.

Yes, average damage is good indicator, but overall, I'd like to know what the lowest I'll be hitting is. If you have a relatively high minimum damage, then that changes what you can train on, despite a relatively low max damage.

Why 560% ? Isn't it 4 shots of 100% at max ?

It may be an illusion, but it still seems faster, and that's reason enough to use it for me.
    It is tested to be faster.

Then yure wasting your critial by training only on monsters that you can 1HKO without critical.
    If you count this way, Pierce totally owns SOA.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalJoker View Post
    Then yure wasting your critial by training only on monsters that you can 1HKO without critical.
    excellent point. every single thing must be factored in.

min and max are important, but average is the most important.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FatalJoker View Post
    I think it does "own" it. I'd prefer a powerful skill with "piercing" capability to a machine-gun-esque skill that fires normal arrows for mp, albeit at a faster rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiraeaKozak View Post
    excellent point. every single thing must be factored in.

min and max are important, but average is the most important.
    Average is important, and it is a great factor in determining where and when you can train on something, but minimum damage is underrated. I'm not saying you should only train on stuff you only 1hko all the time (this is probably not even possible for some higher lvl people), but if I do enough to kill somethign relatively weaker in 1 shot, then I'd train on that instead of 2hko'ing coolies or something - too bad most of the stuff that give me the 0.01% coolies give me also 2hko and they give worse money/drops.