Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick question: DS vs. Strafe

Banned

Default Quick question: DS vs. Strafe

Which skill is faster ? I've heard people say strafe is faster (the majority), but a few people on basilmarket said DS is faster.

If it follows the same trend as mage skills, then DS is faster. Anyone 70+ care to comment ?

I tested this out myself recently. Factor in a couple shots out of this, but as for GMS (since apparently SEA got their Strafe speeds upped), I managed to get 14-16 Strafes in 10 seconds and 12-15 for DS. Although the range is close because the bumped Strafe's speed down, Strafe is still faster than DS, especially over a long range of time.

Shoot Strafe for 10 minutes or so, then try to revert back to DS. You will most likely notice an uncomfortable feeling swelling up from somewhere deep in your mind.

You're not sick-- you're love sick.

there is no speed difference. the interval between strafe shots is shorter than DS shots because strafe has a longer animation duration.

if the arrows go flying forever, this is what you would see...

Code:
    <empty space><strafe><empty space><strafe>
    <  empty space  ><DS><  empty space  ><DS>
    you see, it is an illusion that DS is slower... the longer empty space between DS is due to the fact that DS is a very very simple animation of just 2 arrows flying off the bow while strafe has the initial blue rim followed by 4 arrows stretched out that flies from slightly behind the shooter.

Banned

So are you saying that DS is faster or that they're the same speed ?

Along the same lines, if strafe is faster, should I start using it to train at lvl 70 when I get my first point into it, or should I wait till like 73 when it's damage % is higher than DS ?

Strafe is faster, but not as fast as it could be.

Strafe used to be 88 shots per minute, got nerfed to 81, now for MSEA its back at 87 or so.

GMS is stuck at 81 or 84 shots.

But bottomline is Strafe is faster, the difference much less obvious for Snipers.
    Julliant - Lv130 Bow Master of Bootes

Also, wouldn't it be common sense (although there are a lot of wacky things in this game so maybe not) that a third job skill would be faster than a first job skill?

Anyways, like Julliant said as well as I, the Strafe is faster, but it's not as noticeable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
    Also, wouldn't it be common sense (although there are a lot of wacky things in this game so maybe not) that a third job skill would be faster than a first job skill?

Anyways, like Julliant said as well as I, the Strafe is faster, but it's not as noticeable.
    It would be common sense, but look at mage skills. Ice strike is much slower than lightning.

So should I switch to strafe for training right away at 70 or wait till 73 when it's % damage is higher ?

On a side note, gratz to julliant for hitting 124. Personally, I would've kept it at 123 cause it's a cooler number, but now you'll get even more points for 4th job. :D

It really depends. The moment I hit 70, I got Strafe, and even though I swore myself I wouldn't use it as my main attack (I was pretty much broke and my general consensus was that a level 1 Strafe makes you lose mesos, which isn't really true...), the speed alongside with power is enough to make the switchover from maxed DS to a level 1 Strafe. Even though the percentages don't say it, I found my maxed DS and level 1 Strafe hitting damages that were on par with one another. There wasn't anything too significant in which one damage was obviously better than the other.

So my suggestion: switch over if you want to. It won't make too big of a deal whether or not you do.

But also keep in mind whether or not you are FA-less or not. I forgot what level the Strafe % beats the maxed DS+FA % damage, but it's something to consider. Although the issue here is speed. Even if your DS+FA can hit higher, you could probably stick in enough Strafes to deal the same % damage that DS+FA can deal overtime.

SOOOOO, yea. It doesn't really matter. The pros and cons are pretty much even. It's sort of a win-win situation. Although I can assure you, if you use Strafe for a day or two, you will certainly feel the awkward slowdown of switching back to DS, which will probably push you forward to using Strafe as your main attack, even at level 1.

Also, don't listen to people who say you lose mesos with a level 1 Strafe. Unless you are killing things that take like 5+ shots or whatever, the least is that you will break even with mesos.

Banned

Mesos aren't much of a problem. I've got 30 mil on my xbow right now, my equips (not including bow) are good enough to keep to at least 80 and I can get my bow + 7x 60% scrolls for under 5 mil.

I'm only concerned that your damage won't be similar to mine because I'm an xbow. Because my damage is greater, does that mean I'd have an easier time using strafe at lvl 1 than you did ?

Just use Strafe. I have to admit, I used Strafe a lot more often than I wanted at Lv 70.

BTW I'm 126.
    Julliant - Lv130 Bow Master of Bootes