Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolen Threads: The Secret Guide that Groupthink Hid

Quote Originally Posted by Tolinar View Post
    LUK can also serve to aid a warrior. It does increase one's accuracy, although it does not improve their damage. A minimum LUK of 25 will greatly reduce the penalty from death, and higher amounts of LUK make certain enemies miss much more often. There are a number of excellent reasons for going with a 'LUK build'. A single extra point or two of LUK is certainly not a waste, it will decrease death loss and still contribute to both accuracy and avoid. However, you are looking at a significant decrease to STR if you try to get all your accuracy from LUK.
    Do not try adding luck. First of all, your avoid in total is too little to matter much at all. Secondly, the avoid from luck is only significant in the earlier levels. At higher levels you will need much much more luck to get a miss. A single extra point of LUK is definately a waste.

But there IS another source of money. You could always break boxes.
    Breaking boxes, you scoff. What kind of money is that.

... Breaking boxes is worth about 8k an hour. Much more than you can make for quite a while at the start of the game.

In Amherst, is a house with 2 boxes. Channel surfing that house in Amherst and looting the boxes will yield some mesos. But it will ALSO yield a LOT of apples, red, and orange potions. The resale on everything comes close to 8000 mesos an hour. You could also KEEP the potions, retaining the added value.

While the drawback is, you will not gain experience... time and again I will demonstrate that the fastest road to experience, is not the best road to take. A view that includes all real concerns is the single most successful, and that includes MONEY.

By breaking boxes in Amherst for 1 hour you will make 8000 mesos. This will buy you a starting weapon, and supplies. For a warrior it can mean a set of armor, and armor raises profits.

I'll be doing this for TWO hours. I don't mind spending an extra hour to have a big buffer.
    You make it seem as if it makes sense. But if you look at it carefully, if you spend that 1 hour on training, you would be about 3 levels higher. You may be using poorer weapons, but in all you will gain more exp AND more money.

Unlike EXP, when you earn your money does matter. The 8k you get from 1 hour? You can get that in 2 minutes when you are level 100. Earn as much as necessary, do not always go for the best equips, it is not necessarily worth it. Training with 2nd grade weapons for 3 hours is better than training 2 hours with top grade weapons.

Do not waste time.

========
    LEVEL 11
    ========
    With 1 point in Power Strike, time to raise Slash Blast.
    It would be more advisable to learn HP Recovery followed by Improve MaxHP Increase. This will have a significant influence on how much HP you have in the future. It will also mean that you will start using % based potions about 1 or 2 levels earlier in the future. That can potentially save you a huge amount of mesos.

Even though I suffered a loss looting Amherst, compared to usual, I probably improved my position considerably by doing it.
    I can only imagine that your "improved my position considerably" was something along the lines of "I need to go to America from Britain but I only have enough money for a ship ticket. A ship takes 3 months which is longer than I want for the trip. So, lets spend 5 months to earn some money by collecting scraps and selling them so I can afford an air ticket that will get me to America in only 1 day!"

I tell you. Go train without the box hitting. It will be slower than if you had the resources for pots and equip, but you have 1 hour more to do it. In the end, it will get your faster.

About looting Amherst and making money 'whenever'.

As conjecture:

Let's say training at your level is terribly inefficient. You will always lose money. Training 10 levels below your own will make about 100k an hour.

You need 100k for a weapon upgrade. The upgrade will speed up your training by 10%.

You can train for a month at your level and never get your weapon upgrade, because it is not profitable.

Or you can train for an hour at 10 levels below your own, get your weapon, and start using it. You will end up 3 days (minus 1 hour) ahead of the person who never moves from their spot.

As actual example:
    Slimes are poor money unless you have enough armor. This is because slimes deal a base 20 damage a touch, and the good places to train are basically wading pools.

Every 5 touches is base 100 mesos damage. And at that point you will lose money if you try to use potions, because you are not making enough mesos per-hour.

A quality suit of lv15 armor and a standard spear or polearm weapon is 25,000 mesos, and for most players it's the first armor you ever put on. Getting that much by the time most people want to train on slimes, can be very difficult.

This means players have to do one of three things.

1. They stop and make money.

That's killing snails, and killing snails is worth much less than 8k an hour money-wise, closer to 3-4k on a good day.

If a player just backs up and kills snails for 2 hours to make 8k armor money, he will also gain experience.

But it has to be compared to the player who loots Amherst 1 hour and trains at slimes for 1. Would he grow any faster?

And to make things more imbalanced, the looter will have money from 1 hour of slimes after 2 hours. The snail hunter will be broke. Money advantages snowball. If you get ahead, it's easier to stay ahead. Good money makes for good armor, which makes for good savings, which makes for good money.

2. They limp it with the relaxer. Every 100 damage (5 touches) equates to 20 seconds of training time lost.

If a player gets hit 5 times every 10 seconds (once every 2 seconds) he loses 2/3rds his training time recovering. This example is a little drastic because people will often avoid damage, and have a little better armor.

A person taking 15 damage a touch and getting hit 5 times a minute (which is pretty pro for a crowded place like slime tree) will take 75 dmg a minute. Every 2 minutes, he loses 30 seconds.

That's 1/5th of the training speed lost to the chair. The chair player gets 4/5ths the mesos and 4/5ths the EXP as a looter. If he trains at slimes a total of 5 hours or more, he will be flatly surpassed.

3. They use external funding.

It does not apply to the example, because everyone must start somewhere.

Most players eventually use armor to save and earn mesos...
    the sooner you have the armor, the more you save and earn.
    Having it as you start the monster is the best plan.

REAL-WORLD SCENE:

As my level 15 report will reveal, my extra money was spent on full armor (slimes now do 1 dmg) and a 40-dmg Fork I bought from another player.
    And I still have money left over.

Leveling up is naturally advantageous.
    But it is not the only advantage in the game....

I am not saying it is a good idea to stay in Amherst and try to make 100k, or fund your character to level 60 by looting Amherst.

I am saying it is a good idea to loot Amherst to cover a wealth gap which occurs from the needs of a character that has no money, does not make money quickly, and needs money to make more money in the future.

Crib notes from 15...

Slimes for 1 feels good, it's familiar. I'm going to make good loot.
    Need to collect slime omoks now that you need 100 to make a set.
    16 would be a good time to get branches for quests.
    Buddylist: 7.

No training Friday, sushi dinner and a night on the town.

Mardia Server.

This sucks even more than I thought...No Max HP Increase at level 12 for what reason...efficient training?!?!

I thought this would be interesting but now it's just a disillusional dream on the monitor screen.

Dex adds 1.6 times more Accuracy than Luk so what's so fun about having it....

You are over complicating a simple idealogy.

Being retarded is unique and special but at the end of the day he is still a retard.

Maybe MS is the wrong game for someone like you....
    PROBLEM SLEUTH COMICS:

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by chaz_jo View Post
    This sucks even more than I thought...No Max HP Increase at level 12 for what reason...efficient training?!?!

I thought this would be interesting but now it's just a disillusional dream on the monitor screen.

Dex adds 1.6 times more Accuracy than Luk so what's so fun about having it....

You are over complicating a simple idealogy.

Being retarded is unique and special but at the end of the day he is still a retard.

Maybe MS is the wrong game for someone like you....
    First.

Don't you even USE the word retard in my presence.
    It's insulting and it makes you look stupid as well as devalues every intelligent argument here.

If you want to flame, GTFO my thread.

Now then.

The cost of taking Max HP Increase later is about 325 HP.
    If you can live without an extra 325 HP, you can level a bit faster.

But the main point I've been driving at.
    Neither benefit is life-critical.

325 HP will not make or break a warrior's growth. We are NOT an assassin or a mage.

If you do without to start with, you will level faster for about 10 levels, as much as 15 hours. It adds up to at most a couple days trimmed off your time.

Those 15 hours are ALSO not going to make or break a warrior's growth.

Neither option is inherently much better than the other.

The 325 HP increase is permanent and continues to benefit you in the long run.

However, in the long run it also matters less. At level 70 it's less than 10% increase out of the HP a Warrior should easily have at that time. Its biggest advantage is RIGHT AWAY, when 325 HP is a sizeable chunk of health.

Increasing your attack ability right away will level you faster in short term, but provides no benefit at all in long term.

The two advanced arguments of the options are:

1. Ultimate advantage says that whatever gain you have from a temporary benefit is overshadowed by long-run benefit. In addition, elixirs will give you an extra 150 HP when using this skill.

2. If you never make it to 'the long run', then the 'long run' doesnt matter... and a wide majority of characters never get that far... hence a wide majority of characters will benefit more from improving attack skills first... especially if the boost improves chances of even reaching 'the long run'. In addition, a HP increase is pointless if you never take that much damage, because 50 damage will always require one red potion to heal regardless how much HP you have. As long as you are not using % recovery items, the only 'real' statistical advantage to be had is a slight improvement to leveling pace by putting off HP Increase.

The impact on a character from this decision is really minor, and there are arguments both ways.
    And if you're going to preach perfection on a thread about imperfection being playable, you'd better knock off the name calling.

Mardia Server.

Retard was the wrong word I guess. I wasn't calling you that indirectly either just to clarify that.

I've lost interest anyway, do what you wish. This just looks too boring to care for.

Good Luck, anyway.
    PROBLEM SLEUTH COMICS:

Spoiler!

Now Tolinar, what is your Mardia IGN?
    Currently disinterested in maple.

Lurking all day long... ...

Quote Originally Posted by dZHi View Post
    Now Tolinar, what is your Mardia IGN?
    It's Tolinar.

Mardia Server.

various disguises

It's Tolinar.
    Lmao. That was funny for some reason.

Anyway, I've been keeping up with this, and while you take an interesting stance regarding early lvl playing styles, I'm curious as to what your plan is for the future. So keep on updating ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post
    Everyone is gay for SOG.

You make a sound point with the money vs training. The only thing I have to say is that in actual fact, there will be no such scenario where you will get ahead by hitting boxes.

Yes, sacrifising some exp for some money is reasonable. It is like balancing 2 variables and trying to maximize the product.

Exp Rating: 1 (very poor) to 5 (very good)
    Money Rating: 1 (losing money) to 5 (earning alot of money)

How I rate training at snails is 3 x 3.
    How I rate training at slimes without good armour is 4 x 1.
    How I rate hitting boxes is 1 x 4.
    How I rate training at slimes with good armour is 4 x 3.

Now, if you go straight for slimes for 2 hours, it would be 4 x 1 x 2 = 8.
    If you go for snails for 2 hours, 3 x 3 x 2 = 18
    If you hit boxes then go for slimes = 1 x 4 + 4 x 3 = 16

As you can see, you may tweak the values in any way you like, but this is the way i see it. Overall, hitting boxes just drags you down, even if it pushes you over to the better side after a while.

If you like, I wont mind playing a warrior and charting its process by the hour and compare its progress with you. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiraeaKozak View Post
    You make a sound point with the money vs training. The only thing I have to say is that in actual fact, there will be no such scenario where you will get ahead by hitting boxes.

Yes, sacrifising some exp for some money is reasonable. It is like balancing 2 variables and trying to maximize the product.

Exp Rating: 1 (very poor) to 5 (very good)
    Money Rating: 1 (losing money) to 5 (earning alot of money)

How I rate training at snails is 3 x 3.
    How I rate training at slimes without good armour is 4 x 1.
    How I rate hitting boxes is 1 x 4.
    How I rate training at slimes with good armour is 4 x 3.

Now, if you go straight for slimes for 2 hours, it would be 4 x 1 x 2 = 8.
    If you go for snails for 2 hours, 3 x 3 x 2 = 18
    If you hit boxes then go for slimes = 1 x 4 + 4 x 3 = 16

As you can see, you may tweak the values in any way you like, but this is the way i see it. Overall, hitting boxes just drags you down, even if it pushes you over to the better side after a while.

If you like, I wont mind playing a warrior and charting its process by the hour and compare its progress with you. How about that?

I always appreciate additional viewpoints. :3
    I've been keeping hourly tabs on how long it takes me to level, but the figures are sort of padded because I am an extremely CASUAL player.

Be aware, though, I haven't played all my hearts yet. =D

Amherst went really poor for me this time. Looting Amherst is usually worth 8k to 10k an hour depending how focused you are, and in gross, that's 12k to 18k. If you get a couple lucky drops on your way up the ranks, the wealth gets better.... instead of needing to resale your potions, you can keep them to use and they double in value.

But my level 20 looting spot was golden as usual; 40k+ an hour easy. I think that's about double what an average lvl20 makes while training, and if there are gaps in your armor, like I had, it's a great way to patch em up.

You just need about 500 HP to survive some rough hits getting into position... then it's one of the richest loots in the game. No exp, but great money.

But I can go over Looting Coconuts at Florina later.
    bedtime.

Mardia Server.