Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
My Daughter's First Language
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Daughter's First Language

Beginner

Default My Daughter's First Language

I want my daughter to learn Ido as a primary language. I'm looking for volunteers to assist me in helping her learn it as well. It's going to be at least 3 months before she starts speaking, I assume, so there's plenty of time to start now, even for me. If I have to do this by myself, I will. I just don't want it to be that way.

Easy Ido Course.
    Morfleduf Lv32 STR Cleric | Warripuf Lv21 Warrior | Ditduf Lv18 Thief

never heard of it

Broa
    Magictear-Active-5X Cleric

Sinzl3gacy-Active-3X Assassin

I'm going to learn it now. ^_^

~ LordNephras

Why would you do that >.>
    I believe, therefor I'm insane.

Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by The_Maple_Hero View Post
    never heard of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrisrox View Post
    Why would you do that >.>
    Ido gets questions like this, as well as the ever popular "English is worldwide" cliche. Ido is easy, really easy. That's all I should have to say, since it involves a child. Right? I don't want to be mean or anything so if I came across as such, sorry :S My daughter's future and ability to decipher as many languages as possible is paramount in my mind, and Ido would drastically facilitate that at least for romance languages. This is for my daughter, not the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LordNephras View Post
    I'm going to learn it now. ^_^
    Thank you for your help. Would you like to stay in contact via some type of IM?

Ido is used by at least 1000 people in the world today
    ...1000, you understand how small that number is? There are over a billion people that speak english. Ido as a main language just doesn't seem smart to me...of course in school she will probably also be taught english so w.e...

Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Torrisrox View Post
    ...1000, you understand how small that number is? There are over a billion people that speak english. Ido as a main language just doesn't seem smart to me...of course in school she will probably also be taught english so w.e...
    The number doesn't matter. If you need some push behind my words, there's no accurate number for how many speak it. The real reason why I say it doesn't matter, at least for her is;
    1. Yes she will learn English.
    2. It isn't my fault that Ido fell apart during WW1 when a major influential figure for Ido died in a car accident. That would kill most any language, let alone 'aux'lang.
    3. Ido is very easy...
    4...which will let us have our own private language.
    5...which will allow her to be bilingual with minimal effort.

But yes, at one point I did consider the small community. Like I said, you wouldn't be volunteering for the community, but for my baby. If you want to push with the community later, that's up to you.

Well I'd learn it...but I'm incredibly lazy and don't feel like learning new things...and I don't see how me learning it would help you o.O

Er. I'm not meaning to be rude, but shouldn't something like this be more appropriate on a forum dedicated to linguistics or early child development? I do realize that many people from around the world read this forum, and this is a social folder, but I don't think your average Mapler will be able to help with the Very Important Growth And Development Stage of your child.

I'm a linguistics major, myself, and only very vaguely familiar with Ido, which in itself is amazing considering how few people utilize it. Looking at the Wiki article (Wiki articles, mind, are not to be trusted as absolute sources of information), it seems easy enough. Word-to-word association, as in the bit about helping you learn the 'romance languages', will only carry you so far, but it'd be a tidy start. Impress the value of associating words with concepts and your daughter will be more likely to be trilingual, or any other number above.

Thats kind of like...really mean to your daughter. If that is going to be her primary language and only 1000 people at most speak it. Yeah you will teach her english too, but i just find that kind of mean, and like you are experimenting on her.
    I'm happy