Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old?

Default How old is too old?

How old is 'too old' for playing Maple Story? Is there a 'too old'?

I've been playing for 3 or 4 weeks now, and absolutely love the game. I am 32 years old and it is a game that appeals to me because it is a mostly 2D (the backgrounds add a 3D at times) side scrolling game reminiscent of the video games I started on (original Nintendo - Contra, Super Mario, etc).

However, I get asked a LOT how old I am and get some not so nice responses when kids find out I'm 'an old lady'. Basically I've been told more than once that I have no business playing MS.

I was wondering if that was a general consensus?

Mushmom

I would say as long as you can live, there is no too old. Heck, half the kids that say that aren't even supposed to be playing.

Nah, just ignore anyone who uses age as an insult. Video games are meant to be fun for a certain age and up or all ages, and almost never a certain age and under. If a video game is for a certain age and under, it's most likely a pretty terrible game. You have every right to be playing this game, as do most people on this forum. If you didn't know, Maple Story is one of the most popular free MMO's currently existent, and as a result the community of the game is swarmed with ignorant and immature children. I can also relate to how it reminds you of Nintendo's earlier games. Brings you back...

wishing to be back in London, UK! but stuck in NJ

...That's the reason why MS appealed to me. The 2D platform - brought me back to the good 'ol days!

Ignore the lil brats! The kids on my BL that know my age just call me Momma Maple! or Big Sister :P
    lv15x Bishop - Scania GMS

Mushmom

You know what the funny part about little kids is? Telling them a very complicated word, that takes them forever to find out XD

Lol, im 18 almost 19 and really love this game, I am an addict to it, its a blast reminds of of sonic and everything else with more depth and such. But yeah, screw them have a blast at it and outdo them because you can stay focused for more than 10 minutes at a time :]

also, I like the older players alot because they add more maturity to the game.

yeah it doesnt really matter how old u are. What really matters is if u have fun playing it and u like it alot. But i do think that when u get older u shouldnt really play video games that much cause u could be doing a lot of other cool grown up things.

~Hopefully I get to fourth job soon.......

You're young compared to a few members here heh.

All these kids somehow think that they play MS because they are entitled to since they are kids, and that once they are "grown up" (OMG 18!!) they stupidly believe that suddenly they will be mature, good looking and total party animals. So it's a pretty common way to "insult" for these kids to go "OMG wen im 18 ill be doing betta thins in mah lyf den play ms"

Haha poor runts.

Glad to see some support.. and really glad to see at least one other 'old lady' (So I'm not completely cuckoo)

Not that it would have stopped me from playing, I am enjoying myself too much, but I would probably be less inclined to talk to other players.

Unrelated question: Is there a way to change your character's IGN?

There is no actual method of changing a character's name, but you can always resort to restarting if you haven't gotten too far, and if you have statistics that don't match your class, there's even more of a reason to restart your character. Besides, I don't think anyone here made one character when they first started playing and just went along with it. I know I didn't.