Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Anyone Know why there are so many hackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    My theory is that the American mentaility of convenience and speed is a very strong factor in the hacking problem of GMS
    This of couse is pure speculation, but I always assumed Europeans were the main hackers, not US citizens (just check out EMS). Many Europeans play GMS since EMS wasn't out yet at the time they started playing, and they don't feel like starting their characters over again in an empty world that is buggy and hasn't got features like Aquaworld or Ludi yet (I'm one of them).

And I assumed the reason many Europeans hack is because of the strong anti-authority sentiments here (which could explain why many European hackers don't respect the rules). Many Europeans make fun of their governments/leaders, and hate cops, for example. Making fun of your government in the US is considered un-American, and not done, especially in this time of war and all this "Support the president, you unpatriotic f*cks!" and all.

I could be wrong, but that's how I always saw it. Rebellious authority-hating Europeans and authority-worshiping respect-your-superiors-and-follow-your-orders Americans.
    I gave up Maple in exchange for an active sex and social life.

Slime

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    This of couse is pure speculation, but I always assumed Europeans were the main hackers, not US citizens (just check out EMS). Many Europeans play GMS since EMS wasn't out yet at the time they started playing, and they don't feel like starting their characters over again in an empty world that is buggy and hasn't got features like Aquaworld or Ludi yet (I'm one of them).

And I assumed the reason many Europeans hack is because of the strong anti-authority sentiments here (which could explain why many European hackers don't respect the rules). Many Europeans make fun of their governments/leaders, and hate cops, for example. Making fun of your government in the US is considered un-American, and not done, especially in this time of war and all this "Support the president, you unpatriotic f*cks!" and all.

I could be wrong, but that's how I always saw it. Rebellious authority-hating Europeans and authority-worshiping respect-your-superiors-and-follow-your-orders Americans.

Not really. Its a stereotype of the "ugly american". Americans are every bit as cynical about government and authority. We just have that reputation of conservative patriotism because of the current administration and the current world policies. I will say that there does seem to be a touch more nationalism than in Europe though. In other words, Americans don't like foreigners criticizing the country and government. That's THEIR job to say what a total prick their government is....:D
    I don't want to be a god. I just want to bring fire to the people.
    And I want my cut.

That's such a good explanation :D

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post
    Since so many hackers have become corrupted and started disrespecting legits, acting "smart" or "pro", and actually knowing nothing, it's been a normal stereotype or mindset to assume all hackers are some ugly kid with no friends or a life who sits in front of his computer and downloads hacks all day long.
    With pimples. Don't forget the pimples. :D

You make a very good point but i do feel that there are many Americans, such as myself that do look at our government with a good amount of cynicism. Anyway, the hacking issue is caused more by Meso Seller's then lazy players, but both are factors.
    every time someones says "CC PL0x", a kitten dies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post
    Since so many hackers have become corrupted and started disrespecting legits, acting "smart" or "pro", and actually knowing nothing, it's been a normal stereotype or mindset to assume all hackers are some ugly kid with no friends or a life who sits in front of his computer and downloads hacks all day long.
    Isnt that what ever legit person does to hackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Leizal View Post
    That's such a good explanation :D
    Why, because its flush with your irrational view of the referred-to nations?
    END WORLD HUNGER - EAT THE POOR
    -===-
    I am Djagonhammer: destroyer is galaxies. Ja.
    -===-
    [Join Timelapse, My Scanian Guild]

Mushmom

Quote Originally Posted by Slerotin View Post
    Not really. Its a stereotype of the "ugly american". Americans are every bit as cynical about government and authority. We just have that reputation of conservative patriotism because of the current administration and the current world policies. I will say that there does seem to be a touch more nationalism than in Europe though. In other words, Americans don't like foreigners criticizing the country and government. That's THEIR job to say what a total prick their government is....:D
    You made that stereotype upon yourself as an American. Your patriotism led to that incident in Virginia Tech. Guns are legal in the states for rights to defend oneself? That's why the crime rate down there is like 10 fold of ours here in Canada. And why did you vote for Bush again? I mean he's spending so much money on the war for 7 years now? He didn't capture Bin Laden yet nor has the news update on that. Oh wow Sadam got captured and killed so what? Is that suppose to be a substitute to what Bush didn't finish at the start? To keep Americans think that supporting the war will ever bring justice?

Plus Europeans aren't the only hackers hacking games, Maple Story in particular. Consider Japan and Korea and how they dealt with their hackers. They have a way better system of GMs frequently active. Those GMss were actually average players who grown to be loyal to the game. They have a way (much) better anti-hack program and some kind of log tracking device link to IP usage. (It's like a banlist on Warcraft 3 but instead of tracking names, they track and identify the IP address and suspend/ permanently ban the IP and the account) That's why you don't see people spamming hackers nor advertising scams or sites on these servers. They're a much friendlier environment as well and are actual pretty fluent in speaking english.
    "Finding your passion and making it your career is the dream, the six figure salary is just a bonus."
    Check out my Ludibirum Maze Quest Guide!

Slime

Dude, you REALLY lost me and went WAY off tangent. I was answering Square's comments on the idea that Europeans have a more cynical view of authority, while Americans seemed to follow it more. I made the comment that that was a stereotype. Americans are every much as cynical of authority. Pick up any newspaper, turn on any news channel, you'll find LOADS of criticism on the American government. So I don't think a how people's view of authority is really that much different enough to explain the view that Europeans hack more.

Now as for issues of gun control, crime rate, Bush's re-election, Saddam, Bin Ladin, and the war that you brought up....That has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

You want to debate those topics? Start your own thread about these things and I'm sure a lot of folks will debate them. We're talking about hacking, hackers, and their mentality. I'm from a long line of pacifists, beatniks, artists, and if I could do without electricity, I'd be a carriage ride short of Amish. (hmmm...that does explain my wardrobe these days though...sigh) Please keep me out of whatever beef you have with the U.S.. And btw, Bush's approval is in the 30%, one of the lowest in history. Please don't condemn the 70% of the population who view the government with extreme cynicism (maybe they hack Maple too! :D )when its the 30% who insist on being mindless sheep.
    I don't want to be a god. I just want to bring fire to the people.
    And I want my cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    You make a very good point but i do feel that there are many Americans, such as myself that do look at our government with a good amount of cynicism.
    Of course, when generalizing you can not forget that not everyone of one group thinks alike. Not all Americans think alike, and not all Europeans think alike. Both groups consist of individuals with individual minds, thoughts and opinions.
    I should have added "the majority of Americans/Europeans" in my post, but even that would be incorrect, as Slerotonin demonstrated above.

But we're digressing, politics is not the issue here.
    I gave up Maple in exchange for an active sex and social life.