Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncensoring words.

I had to clean up my language when I joined this place.

But Sleepywood brought out my foul-mouthed side again.

For everyone's sake, keep the curse filter on. It's amusing seeing a string of **** when you're trying to say ****
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    How many other words? I doubt it censors ALOT of words that shouldn't be.
    it does. If it finds it in the word, then it gets censored. Like one member had the name Hitsug@ya (with an a, not @)
    The filter sees g@y in the word so it displays it as Hitsu***a

Also does it with links too, so sometimes the link wont work cause it has **** in it
    Spoiler!

censoring is necessary on some cases. and unnecessary in some cases, such as what is actually happening in your government. (cough america cough)
    Release thy rage, destroyer ov lies.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit <3 View Post
    censoring is necessary on some cases. and unnecessary in some cases, such as what is actually happening in your government. (cough america cough)
    Those kinds of shots are not welcome here. Don't let it happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyxdude View Post
    it does. If it finds it in the word, then it gets censored. Like one member had the name Hitsug@ya (with an a, not @)
    The filter sees g@y in the word so it displays it as Hitsu***a

Also does it with links too, so sometimes the link wont work cause it has **** in it
    That's the standard swear filter. I'll take a gander and see if I can get it to be more "accurate" but chances are you won't notice much of a change. It still needs to cover "****as****" when you want it to allow "****ake mushroom". I promise nothing other than looking, so deal with it.

Since your pointing out very isolated cases, the forum hasn't exploded into flame and the world isn't ending, it's not really that large a problem. I'd be more worried about the fact you can't find a way to express yourselves without swearing.
    Irc

FRAGZ: 3
    Honor kills: Waxxup

I think the filter should be revised, just a tad bit.
    Some words aren't exactly vulgarities when used in a different context.
    The words a^nal and g^ay for example.
    In lieu of that, shouldn't we just revert to the warning system in the case of people using the words in an offensive context?
    While I'm not saying that the mods aren't doing their job (on the contrary, you guys are excellent), I think there should be more vigilance in curbing filter bypasses.

Exhibit A:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRider View Post
    fck you =_=
    Source:http://www.hidden-street.net/forum/s...598#post310598
    Randland Parody
    Stupid cow. Stupid, stupid, stupid cow.

The faces of Hidden-Street, through the years

i fail to see how its not welcome seeing as im just voicing my opinion.

and you cant even begin to say that your government tells you everything that is going on.

Saighan, problem is those words are very rarely used within context, so rare it's silly to not censor them, as sad as it is.

and you cant even begin to say that your government tells you everything that is going on.
    1) It's as offtopic as hell.
    2) It's just close enough to being unpc. It's like saying the hospitals should be closed because you believe in herbal medicine.
    3) It's not welcome. It takes just one user to complain to become a problem, and I'm that one. This is not a forum for you to shoot your mouth off about the government holes you found on youtube, so unless they start stealing your meso to fund the war, keep it to yourself or take it to basil.
    4) I like to nib things that could become a problem later in the butt early.

If you have more of a problem, take it to pm where I can repeat the same thing for a week.
    Irc

FRAGZ: 3
    Honor kills: Waxxup

For one, the forum is not america. For 2 the forum is not a democracy. For three, censorship needs to exist (see calling fire in a theatre). For 4, comparisons between a forum and a government do not work. Forums are private property, forums are run via dictatorship, and you do not have your amendment rights on a forum.

That said, say perchance we would compare it to the constitution. Freedom of expression does not give you the right to say "*** ***** **** *** of a *** *** ********* *** for a *** ***."

(and no i didnt actually type something). Rudeness and profanity are not guaranteed in the your freedoms. And try saying something like that in school and see what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why Daos should never ever go away:
    Spoiler!

Just chipping in my two coins here...

I think the word filter's a good idea. However, it's way too strict. Not being allowed to use words like *** (g@y) is simply ridiculous. It's not even a swear word. How are we possibly going to have a discussion on, for example, the *** marriage in France (pretty recent, I believe)?

I don't know how many other unnecessary words are filtered, and I'm not bothering to try them all out. Who knows, there may actually be no other words that are unnecessarily censored.

Anyway, you should at least remove "g@y" from the list. It's harmless, not offensive, and the taboo's pretty much lifted by now (where I live, anyway).

Also, a list of words censored could also help. It gives members the chance to see what words are filtered, and as such are pointless to use.

well. i was simply comparing the word filter on the site to a filter in real life. no reason to flip a ***** switch.

and im not really 'shooting my mouth off' i was just making a legitimate reference.