Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Wrinkle in Time

Default A Wrinkle in Time

Because my sequel failed TERRIBLY, I shall start on a new one. Whether this is going to be related or not to my previous one (or two) depends.

Prologue
    Walking down the streets, I heard only the swish of leaves beneath me, in the cool autumn night. Surprisingly, this autumn was colder than Iceland, which was saying something, since this was in the middle of a series of rocky mountains. Striding down a narrow alley formed by two rows of tepees, I glanced briefly at my wrist. The steel armband shone, and as I continued on my path, I sensed movement behind me.

Not breaking from my stride, I slowly drew my spear, which was pure black in color. The people following behind me didn't increase nor decrease in speed. I increased my speed marginally, and the people tracking me followed suit. Tiring of the game, I stopped and felt the people remain fifty meters behind me. Gently, I raised the spear vertically and whispered two words, so soft that they were covered by the whistling of the wind, even to me.

A purple dragon formed from air, and coiled around me. Opening its mouth, it let out a muted roar. Immediately, my pursuers gripped their ears and fell to the ground, injured and unable to move. Golden wings appeared out of my back, and I turned towards my enemies. To my surprise, they were mere weaklings, holding a blunt dagger, apparently attracted by my wristband.

Turning to leave, I was held down by a strong pressure to my body. The shocking force of it rooted my to the spot, and I could not help but choke. From the shadows, a fully dressed ninja walked out. His dagger was sharp, and he wasn't hesitating to kill me. Pointing it at me, he held his arm parallel to the ground and vanished. I wasn't prepared for what happened next. He vanished and appeared, leaving both of my arms with holes in them.

"Boomerang Step..." I mused, my Dark Fairfrozen touching the ground. I was trained to withstand this kind of attack, but I'd just sacrificed a third of my stamina using Dragon Roar. Raising his arm, the Shadower threw the dagger straight at me. It shot through my right shoulder blade, cleaving it cleanly in two. As I fell backwards, I saw, all around me, the night life, the nocturnal animals scuttling about their business, oblivious to my suffering.

The sky was more illuminated than I'd ever seen. The Aurora rippled over it, casting a greenish hue on the Milky Way. Far above me, the lodgings of Dances with Balrog shone, the torches on the door illuminating the rocky prairie around me in flaming red. Tilting my head slightly, I saw the blue of the sea, just behind a sharp drop from the rocks. The clashing of red, green and blue made me calmer. I was going to die, and vanish, to be one with Nature. The world slowly turned black, imprinting the waves of colors in my eyes.

There was a sound of thunder.

Chapter 1: A Sound of Thunder
    My eyes flew open. I was lying on something soft, and as I prodded it, I realized that it was spongy, but wet. My first thought was that I was lying at the bottom of the sea, on a giant sponge, but I had no difficulties breathing. Gingerly, I pushed myself off the ground and looked around. Sunlight filtered through a misty cover, slightly illuminating the clouds below me. Turning to the right, I saw a sign in Greek. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried my best to translate the sign.

"It says 'Welcome to Orbis' on the sign," a gentle voice said from beside me.

Whipping around, I came face to face with what I thought was an angel. Her appearance was like one, at least: She was wearing a White Requirre, and her staff was white in color. Compared to the black equipment I used, we were contrasting elements, clashing entities. She didn't seem to think that way though, and said, "What're we standing here for?" in a friendly way, and walked towards the sign.

Before I could move, I heard a growl behind me. Turning, I found a bunch of black cats growling. They lowered their heads and red lightning began to spark around the horns. Raising her staff, the girl held her right arm out and said one word, casting the magic that any would run from.

"Genesis."

Beams of light appeared from mid-air and smashed with amazing force into the ground. Where they hit the mob, the cats shrieked and disappeared. When the carnage was finished, all that was left was a few sacks of money and a few tails. Lowering her staff, the girl reached out her left hand, and everything vanished; her bag shimmered.

Turning around, she smiled at me, and I looked at her curiously. Smiling wasn't an expression one held after killing a bunch of monsters... I felt odd. She seemed familiar, somehow... Where had I seen someone as cheerful as that? Ignoring the feeling for the moment, I ran after her. This was the fourth time I'd been in Orbis. The first two times was when I had to go to El Nath and back for the third job advancement, and the other two when I went to Leafre to help out Chief Tatamo.

I'd never taken the time to appreciate Orbis before, and seeing my expression, the girl opened her mouth to begin speaking, but before she could, I interrupted her. "What's your name?"

"Lacus..." she replied, somewhat uncertainly.

That name struck a chord in my mind, but I was not sure why. I had met her before... my thoughts were interrupted by her as she began explaining the etymology and history of Orbis. Apparently, Orbis meant "circle", and the floating clouds were kept up by special rocks mined from a desert. The manufacturer was unknown, but it was said to be a city that even the Archangels couldn't penetrate, protected by technology yet unknown to anyone. After her explanation, we walked in silence up the hill. For some reason, I was following her, and she wasn't in the least bit opposing.

"By the way, what am I doing here?"
    "You were the... um... recipient of a Shadower attack. I was in the area, so I healed you and brought you here. I had to set you down because I had to get some stuff out of the way."
    "You... flew?"
    "Yeah. Every mage can."

AN: In case you haven't noticed, the lack of technology sets this in the past, about the 16th century. Supposedly, the advent of technology crippled some abilities. Readers of His Dark Materials can compare this to the daemons vanishing.

"Oh. So... you carried me... here?"
    "Yeah. Your Dark Fairfrozen broke though. I patched it up the best I could." Blushing, she took out the Dark Fairfrozen. Save for a small crack, I couldn't detect any differences. I took it and admired the handiwork on it. She was an all rounded person, really...

Suddenly, I was aware of a slight tinge to my cheeks. Grinning slightly, I thanked her and sheathed the spear in my hip sheath. Turning towards her, I said, "By the way, my name is..."

"Kira. Kira Yamato." She interrupted.
    "How did you...?"
    "Know?"
    "Er... yeah."
    "By making eye contact with any person or object, I can find out their names and date of birth."
    "Really?"
    "One of the advantages of being an angel."

So I was right... she was an angel... I thought. Shaking my head, I berated myself for getting emotions into the work. Before I could say anything, the sun began setting, and in fifteen minutes, the entire town was bathed in moonlight. Walking on the silent streets, I saw the inhabitants of the town fly by, their wings emitting pale light, just enough to shine a little ahead and act as a warning for those behind. The stars in the sky began glittering, and as I walked, I noticed the Great Dipper, part of the constellation of Ursa Major, the Great Bear.

From regaining consciousness till now, I had never thought of anything but the present, and now, two thoughts suggested themselves heavily to my mind: that of how I was going to return to Victoria Island, and where I was going to stay for the night. Catching my eye, Lacus replied, "We're going to my house. I'm sure that my family would willingly give up a place for you to stay. As for how you're going to get back, we'll plan tomorrow, okay?"

Her smile was so convincing that I could not help but agree with the plan. As we walked, I began to notice a sudden thunderstorm happening beneath me. The ground was trembling, albeit too slightly for anyone who was not feeling for it to notice. Passing by a shop, I was arrested by movement in a shop. The shop owner was changing the date on a poster, and when he was done, I was left staring at the date.

It said clearly, 14th February 1558.

"16th Century!" I exclaimed.
    "Yeah. Didn't you know?"
    "But you said you saved me..."
    "Yes."
    "But I was in the twenty-first century... wasn't I?"
    "No. I found you in Perion." She looked at me oddly.

The clock above me chimed twelve midnight. To my surprise, there wasn't a ship departing, the ship that left every fifteen minutes. Come to think about it, I didn't even notice a station. Before I could make head or tail of what was going on, thunder echoed. The same resonation I had heard just when I'd fainted. Taking three steps forward, I looked around. Orbis was filled with streetlights and bustling with hundreds of people. Pink hearts decorated the sky, and there was a loud horn as the ship prepared to leave the station.

Walking silently through town, I thought about what was happening. Walking past the archives, I saw a sign saying that it was open 24 hours for a week. Stopping in front of it, I deliberated for a minute before opening the doors and walking in. Heading straight for the name archives, I looked at the name-list of residents from 1558. Flipping to the ledger named "Angels", I was prepared for a long search, but one look rendered that useless.

At the top of the page was the name "Lacus Clyne."
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Jr. Necki

Sounding very good so far jia

keep up the work

bai :D

Great Work

what kon thinks when looking at RE
    Kon. says:
    there is leon shaving uuuh saving her
    http://timbucktoe.myminicity.com/
    please help me grow
    http://timbucktoe.myminicity.com/ind

Spoiler!

Jr. Necki

So you decide don a name then lol

wait you mean the merceanary failed???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Always looking for guildmates.

Fave series: Artemis Fowl, Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Harry Potter, Leven Thumps, and er.... Hunting for others. Please recommend series. NOTE SERIES!!!!!

Goals!!!!
    30[x] 35[x] 40[x] 50[] 60[] 70[] 80+[]
    solo pap[] solo mm[x] solo zmm[] solo king slime[x] 1st mill[] max out buddies guild[x] get nx[]

Spoiler!

It was, is and will remain dead. RIP.

Chapter 2: Lacus Clyne
    I knew, from my obsolete knowledge, that angels were regarded highly during that time, and there would be legends and biographies of them. A small number was beside the name, and I guessed that it was the vault number. Putting the book neatly where it belonged, I walked towards a steel door. It required identification of job, but when I stuck the Dark Fairfrozen in, it was thrown out. Jumping, I retrieved it and tucked it neatly in its sheath. Rolling my eyes at the rejection of modified weapons, I took out a regular Fairfrozen and jabbed it into the slot. The door slowly swung open, and I walked in.

Running to the end, I saw the number X20, and began searching backwards. The vaults were arranged in order from 1 to 19, and each of them had a letter before and after it. The higher the number and letter after it, the higher the rank was. The letter before, X, was the letter designating angels. X20 was reserved for the Archangel... I wondered who it was. Chanted the numbers under my breath I walked, checking the numbers. 19F, 19E, 19D, 19C, 19B... There it was. Opening the door of Vault X19A, I was greeted by a blast of frigid air. Apparently, the vault masters had mastered the art of freezing the parchments, preserving instead of destroying them.

AN: Yes, I completely know the meaning of X19A.

Shutting the door behind me, I carefully picked up a parchment and started reading. It was, surprisingly, a document saying that she was under trial for aiding pirates. Confused, I read and read, and by the time I was done, a clock on the wall read 6 A.M. According to the parchments, Lacus had been a prominent angel, but met someone who she stuck to, and eventually helped when he got into trouble as a pirate. The name of the boy wasn't written, though...

Walking slowly, I began to understand what was happening. I had somehow traveled through time, meaning that if I tried, I could repeat that feat. Concentrating, I took a deep breath and started walking back and forth. Twenty minutes later, I was leaning against the glass wall of the vault. Panting, I wondered why I was bothering. Why did I want to go back? I remembered her face, her wings... I thought about the only person I'd ever been close to. Reaching inside the Battle Road I wore, I pulled out a small pendant. Opening it, I saw the picture of her... she looked so like Lacus, and yet so different. That picture and the armor was the only memory I had of her; she had given them to me just before she vanished from the face of this earth.

I noticed that my fists were clenched, and tears were rolling down my face as my heart spasmed painfully. I remembered every crossing in our lives. We had been students in the Warrior Academy, but she had advanced faster than me. Halfway through our studies, she had been blamed for a crime, and the evidence all pointed towards her. When she asked me whether I believed her, I couldn't answer properly, and she left to prove herself innocent. The only things she had left behind were that pendant and the armor she'd given me on my advancement.

Just then, the sound of thunder roared again, but not as strongly as before. I appeared in the middle of the town square. The floor was covered with planks and formed bridges over the clouds. Looking into one of the shops, I saw a sign that said, "14th February 1558". I was back. I ran eagerly towards the hill, and scaling a wall, suddenly realized that I didn't know where her house was. I was going back down Orbis Hill when someone covered my eyes from behind. Grinning slightly, I pulled her hands off and turned around to find Lacus grinning at me.

Laughing, I apologized for my sudden disappearance six hours ago. To my surprise, she didn't mind, and instead led me to her home. The size of the house was impressive, and I could only stand there, dumbfounded. The adults seemed pleased with me, and the children were friendly. One of the people about my age wanted to duel with me, and when I accepted, they led me to a training area they had built. They stood outside and locked the door, and the duel began.

Chapter 3: Surprise! Duel with an Expert
    Intending to surprise the boys, I held the Dark Fairfrozen vertically and casted a Dragon Roar. Once again, the purple dragon coiled around me, but the boy didn't seem in the least bit surprised. The moment the roar ended, he stepped up, held his Serpent's Tongue and slashed towards me. The Final Attack caught me by surprise, and managed to push me back slightly. Gripping the Dark Fairfrozen tightly, I stabbed towards him thrice, and all three times, he evaded. This was becoming tiring. Slamming the spear down, I created a shock-wave that shook the panels.

"Spear Buster and Dragon Fury... I've seen that before, but never experienced it in person."

Jumping, he slammed the spear down, and created a shock-wave equal to mine. Just who was this person? What was his ability? What allowed him... to copy? Jumping off the ground, I was surprised by the Dragon Roar. Landing, I found myself unable to move, and was easily taken down by the Spear Buster. By the time he was done, my body was slashed all over, and I was absolutely unable to retaliate in any way. Then, my opponent started to truly surprise me.

"Berserker."

His legs began glowing, and golden sparks covered his armor. He immediately said, "Hyper Body. Iron Will. Power Guard. Threaten. Holy Charge."

A mess of colors erupted around his body, and the only remaining traces were the sparks of Berserker and the golden glow that surrounded the spear. Slamming it straight down, he said one word, the one skill that was capable of utterly destroying monsters.

"Sanctuary."

The giant spear hit the ground with a power that I'd never felt before. There was a resonation, and a will about it, that made the damage quite shocking. Throwing the Dark Fairfrozen upwards, I took out a shield and blocked the wave, and to my utter shock, the shield split into four, and the shock-wave was only barely deterred. Jumping quickly, I flipped up a wall and launched off it, and grabbed the spear. Pointing it straight down, I casted another Dragon Roar, the third in the battle, reducing my stamina to 7%.

Landing, I knew that if I got another graze, I would faint. This was becoming a battle for my life. What I had underestimated as a young man around my age was actually a Dark Paladin, a morph between the elemental Page and strong Dark Knight. I was a mere Dragon Knight; how was I going to fight evenly, much less say win?

"This is a skill that I have mastered, and am willing to teach you, but on one condition."
    "Yes?" My voice was shaking with expectation.
    "You must not use this unless your life is in danger," Dances with Balrog said.
    "Understood, master."
    "Then let's begin. This skill is one that will increment your power dramatically, but at the expense of half of your remaining stamina."

Raising out my right arm, I said, "Final Berserker."

A glow emanated around my arm, and I felt drained. Any one below 5% of their stamina would usually faint, to prevent body strain, but I persisted on. My whole body was now glowing, and it reminded me of Super Saiyan Mode, but that didn't exist in the 16th Century... did it? I gave a mock punch, and an energy blast shot out. The person began to look interested, and gripping his weapon tightly, formally introduced himself.

"I'm Tim, 15. I'm a Paladin."
    "I'm Kira. Same age as you, but a Dragon Knight." I blushed slightly.
    "What's there to be embarrassed about?"
    "That a lousy person like me dared to challenge you."
    "If I remember correctly, I was the one that challenged you."
    "Then I underestimated you."
    "Maybe." He grinned, and added, "I note that you're barely at 4% stamina. Sure you wanna continue fighting?"
    "Yes."

I threw a punch at him, but he merely pulled out a soul shield and absorbed it. "Blocking is useful..." he said, and added, "Rush." Charging at me, he stabbed the Serpent's Tongue forward, which reminded me, oddly, of a snake preparing to strike. Reaching within range of me, he said, "Million Stab." The spear began jabbing so quickly that it looked like it was spinning. Neatly dodging all the stabs, I used Spear Buster, managing to land three hits that drained his stamina by 40%.

Rapidly calculating, I observed, "You managed to use Berserker at full stamina, but it cost you 10% stamina. Meaning... you're at half stamina now."
    "Interesting insight."

Again, he jumped, but this time, he drew four daggers from his pocket and threw them. Dodging, I was caught by surprise when he appeared behind me and said, "Million Stab." Landing neatly, he watched as I fell. To his astonishment, I pushed myself up and gripped my left arm. The light fabric over my chest tore, and revealed the glowing steel pendant.
    Spoiler!

See what I mean by "fail"? No one ever responds.
    Chapter 3 completed.

Chapter 4: Silver Pendant
    Tim was bemused, and stared at the pendant. Lacus was blushing, but I didn't care. Eventually, she turned her sight away from me and scurried off. A boy outside was grinning at her expression, and walked in, apologizing. "I think she likes you." Holding one hand over my arm, he said "Heal" and my wounds repaired themselves. Leaving the training area, I walked into the living room and sat down on the comfortable sofa, folding my top and putting it on the sofa. Looking around, I noticed that this house was beautiful, and was made of marble. The walls were pure white, and looking around, I realized that the entire congregation was made of students and masters of Holy Magic, with the only exception being Tim.

"Actually, I'm not part of the family. Nor is that guy who healed you," Tim said, when I pointed that out.
    "Yep," he interrupted, "I'm not. By the way, my name is Julian."

We walked out, into the setting sun. Lacus was following some distance away, and Julian surprised us by casting a Teleport of astonishing distance. Lacus wasn't fazed, replying by Teleporting an equal distance, taking his place beside me. Smiling slightly, I sat down on a ledge, watching the setting sun traveling below the horizon. Julian sat down on the other side of Tim and started telling of the story of the three of them. By the time he was done, the sun had nearly set and the last of the sun cast a beautiful carpet of red on the ground.

"So... when you found Lacus, she had amnesia, so you named her after an identification card she held?" I queried.
    "Yes."

My heart began throbbing. Could it be possible? But she didn't have any sign of being able to time travel, and so... it couldn't possibly be her... could it? They were looking at the pendant on my bare chest with interest, and so, I told them the story behind it.

"I first met her in the Warrior Academy. We were just 12 at that time, but she was strong, and we became friends quickly. By the time we'd reached the 2nd job advancement, we had already helped each other through hard, often life-threatening situations. We had become best friends, and trained with each other everyday. One day, a crime had been committed. The library had been destroyed, and it had left traces, traces of the spear I had modified for her. She had depended on me to trust her, but the evidence was overwhelming... she had felt betrayed, and left me two things before she left... the first was this pendant and the second was the armor I was wearing. Until now... she never used her real name... and I don't even know it."

Loosening my necklace, I handed it to Lacus. When she opened it, her mouth fell open. She stared at the picture for a long time, and she finally asked, "Who's... this?" Not waiting for an answer, she closed the pendant and lay down, staring at the stars twinkling above. The others all lay down, and after deliberating, I excused myself. The sound of thunder echoed again, and I was once again in the 21st Century. Running, I reached the archives and ran to the vault that contained the student record for Warriors.

Flipping to the ledger two years ago, I looked around and found my name. Above mine was the name and picture of the girl that had been my best friend and crush. Until then, my arm was supporting my weight of the table, and my hand was covering her name. Shaking, I slowly removed it.

"Lacus Clyne".

Chapter 5: Lacus Clyne
    AN: Repeat of chapter 2 title.

Teleporting back to the past, I arrived just as Julian was preparing to leave. Seeing me back, he promptly sat down and waited for me to speak. Wordlessly, I took out a pile of notes and handed them to him. Lighting his hand up, he slowly read it through. When he was done, he looked shocked, and yet he was smiling slightly.

"Well, Lacus gets a chance now, doesn't she?"
    "What do you mean?" Lacus asked, her blush evident in the moonlight.
    "Yeah, what do you mean?" Tim asked in a curious tone.

Julian leaned over and whispered what he'd read into Tim's ear, and when he finished, Tim was grinning as well. Both of them stood up and turned in the direction of Lacus' house. "We'll get going first... we may come back later..." Tim said. Whispering in my ear, he completed the sentence, "Lovebirds."

"What?" I was nonplussed, but they merely waved and continued walking.
    All that time, Lacus' hand was lighted and she was reading the papers, and now, she looked at me with an odd expression. "I'm... this Lacus? The girl you were talking about?"

"I... I... think so..." Trailing off, I looked pointedly out towards the expanse of the Cloud Park.

She remained silent for one minute, and said, "I need your help."
    "With?"
    "Regaining my memory."
    "How do I help?"
    "I need a strong memory. Something that you are sure I will remember."

Running from the Wild Boars, Lacus had sprained her ankle. Helping her up, I led her to a field of spikes and jumped in. The portal led us to a platform inaccessible by any other way. Opening a small chair, she sat down gently and leaned back, looking at the beautiful night sky. Opening the Relaxer myself, I sat down beside her and talked about that day's training session. Unsurprisingly, she wasn't interested in that, and she merely looked at me.

Heart beating, I slowly leaned over, and gave her a small hug. Both of us were blushing under that silver moonlight, and it was a perfect scene, one that lasted for... hours, it seemed.

"Well?" Lacus looked at me expectantly.
    Turning around, I faced her. I was merely inches away from her... reaching out, I hugged her close to me, and said, "I love you." Her expression was stunned, and yet carried a certain strength about it. Everything was quiet, save for her gentle breathing, which sounded in my ear rhythmically. After ten minutes, I gently pushed her away from me, and noticed that she was limp, her eyes shut. I felt a bit let down, but couldn't help smiling slightly. Lowering her body, I lay her down on the soft cloud. Lying down myself, I watched the progress of the stars as they spun in a circle around the North Star. Feeling myself getting droopy, I shut my eyes, listening to the rustle of the wind brushing against the wooden structures.

Tim's PoV
    The midnight breeze was cooling. I stood in front of Lacus' house, on top of Orbis Hill. Behind me, faeries were flying around Orbis, the light of their flapping wings casting pale shadows on the hill, splashing in front of me. The wind whistled, rustling the trees around me. Walking ahead, I reached a slope. Lighting my staff, I raised it high, and saw two figures at the bottom, lying down, evidently sleeping.

Turning on the spot, I vanished and appeared in a different Orbis, lighted up by electric lights.

Lacus' PoV
    I woke up to find myself sleeping on a patch of clouds, my face buried in Kira's chest. Blushing, I moved backwards, only to feel Kira's strong arms wrapped around me. Gently, I nuzzled him and he looked down sleepily. When he saw me, he looked startled, and immediately embarrassed, blushing and trying his best not to have noticed. Grinning, I removed his arms from around me, pushing myself up.

In the distance, the darkness of night was vanishing. Walking to the end of the clouds, I sat down and looked over the sea. In the far distance was Victoria Island, the rocky outcrops of Perion and the tall trees that made up Ellinia visible. Far below, I could see the base of Orbis Tower, and the port of El Nath. A ship was leaving the port for Victoria's Lith Harbor, and in the middle, a cargo ship was sailing lazily, leaving small, barely visible trails.

I sat down beside Lacus and felt her small hand holding mine. It was soft and small, which all the more accentuated her petiteness. I couldn't believe that those were the hands of a former Crusaderess, but it didn't make a difference now. I wondered what would happen if someone fell down from here into the water. It would probably cushion the fall, but a twenty story tower... I didn't think anyone could survive.

Suddenly, Lacus was gesticulating wildly at the sea, and when I looked where she was pointing, I didn't see anything but a ripple. Apparently, she could see more than I could, as she looked worried. The ripple began to get wider and faster in speed, forming small waves that rocked the ship in the middle of the ocean. It began to veer wildly as a shadow morphed into sight below the water, increasing in size.

Out of the blue, a ship with black sails rose out of the sea. On its mast was the Jolly Roger.
    Spoiler!

Jr. Necki

Yeah is that me I see woot, thanking you lots

sorry havn't been on on HS really had been busy

Nice

I don't exactly see how fanfics fail. Unless you think fanfics are supposed to appeal to the masses, that's slightly true if you were a big time writer. But it's mainly to let out whatever ideas that are in your head into a written form.

-shrug-

Wow, too bad the maple story anime isn't this good! T.T i think they should hire you to right it!! xD oh, btw... are they... lez...? o.o; (kira and lacus)