Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "FTW" .... wtf...

Default "FTW" .... wtf...

I migrated from SEA to Global. Everywhere I went since then, I came across three letters, 'FTW'. Shop titles, random conversations, topics on global boards, etc;.

Now, coming from SEA - I had no idea what this meant. SEA-speak made sense to me - I felt so foreign on global. I assumed at first, it stood for WTF, backwards. Like some kind of trendy net humor or something. Then I thought, maybe it stood for F-T-World. Made sense.

I was so off.

"For the Win". For the win? What is this, "the price is right"? Lame. I'll have a gender change before I use that phrase. For the win.... no whammies. I wonder what the origin of this terminology is. I'd like to know where to direct my confused anger.

"pl0x" also gets my blood pressure up.

on an unrelated note, doctors tell me I have misguided anger issues.

If anyone can shed light on FTW or pl0x for me, I'd appreciate it.
    [Viacom: MTV Networks Nickelodeon VH1 Cartoon Network Comedy Central -Maple Global?]
    [Now thats viable communication. Hooray commercial slavery!]

pyrofyr

Blame all popular net phrases ever used on 1980s IRCing.

LMFAO yesterday, no lies, I saw like 4 'FTW' Super Megas and publically announced to my guild that I would never use that phrase again.

Coincidences, huh!
    PROBLEM SLEUTH COMICS:

Spoiler!

pyrofyr

FTW is FTW. I use it all the time. The fact that others do doesn't stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    I didn't stop because of others, I just realised how stupid it is. I'd rather use words to explain my 'FTW' expressions anyway.
    PROBLEM SLEUTH COMICS:

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    It's not the fact that its so commonly used discouraging me from using it myself, it's the sheer cheesiness I feel when I think of it. For the Win!

It's like, "Go for it!", or some other outdated phrase that has the air of positive thinking + motivational implications. I'm way to cynical to not be bothered by FTW in 2007.

I dunno. Just seems like a queer phenomenon to me. This isn't 1978. FTW belongs inside of Special Olympics events, coming out the mouths of supporters of special athletes, not anywhere else.

"Hang in there".
    [Viacom: MTV Networks Nickelodeon VH1 Cartoon Network Comedy Central -Maple Global?]

Like Pyro said, ftw is ftw. You can't expect me to migrate to SEA and say Wtf? to all of their language terminologies that have probably been around longer then I have played MS.

pyrofyr

Well, all your points aside. I believe the English language needs cheesy yet usable phrases. I mean all of the other ones are outdated and used by previous generations, but this is ours, of our generation. I mean look, Japanese have tons of ways to do such things, but us... no wai. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Like Pyro said, ftw is ftw. You can't expect me to migrate to SEA and say Wtf? to all of their language terminologies that have probably been around longer then I have played MS.
    SEA speak is pretty straight forward. ftw is only ftw because its been in your face for awhile. That doesnt give it a right to exist.

I say all anti FTW folks should band together and cleanse the text of global by eradicating its use forever. Refuse to use FTW - and be critical of anyone you witness using it!

down with ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Korrupt View Post
    down with ftw.
    I think you mean FTWFTL?

you should start a guild... :-)