Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality of the forums

Default Quality of the forums

I've noticed a ton of you complaining about the quality of our forums lately. And i'm going to ask you all to stop and think about it.

Why is the quality degrading? A forum's quality depends on the quality of it's members. Why does it appear worse, because the members are getting worse. What can you do to make it better? Stop posting garbage.

Yes you. If all of you stopped bandwagoning, trolling, flaming excessively, and treating the forum as your own personal toilet, the forums would be fun to read again.

But you ask, what about the new users that are screwing up the forums. My answer is to educate them. Not in a know it all tone. You guys are excessively rude to new people. This is a large forum, it's confusing to new people. And maplestory is a game with a lot of aspects, which while you may understand it, a new person may not.

In short, I find you guys (old users and relatively new) to have become far less hospitable and more obnoxious than ever before. Old members are all high and mighty and new members are getting defensive because of it.

As lame as it is, treat people as you would like to be treated. Moderators alone cant make a forum good. It's up to you as members to resolve this situation.

/soapbox speech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why Daos should never ever go away:
    Spoiler!

To tell you the truth, I don't notice much difference actually. IMHO things have always been like they are now, more or less.

But what you're saying is of course undisputedly true: to get the quality of a forum up, it's up to the members. Also, I've noticed new users getting flamed, but that happens everywhere. That doesn't mean it's a good thing, and I don't support it, but it's nearly impossible to eliminate.
    I gave up Maple in exchange for an active sex and social life.

Yeah, flaming alone turns new forum posters away. I have a sleepywood account, however, I made a mistake and got harshly flamed. Rather than deal with internet smart asses, I just logged off. I rarely go there now, only when there's not much going on here, basil, or my guild's forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Wigum View Post
    In short, I find you guys (old users and relatively new) to have become far less hospitable and more obnoxious than ever before.
    I go.. oh, does he/she mean me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigum View Post
    Yes you.
    *eyes dart back and forth*

I enjoy reading/posting in forums. I enjoy the banter, information, and helping others. I sometimes enjoy reading moronic rantings. I do not enjoy getting in stupid flame wars or attempting to discuss a topic with irrational people.

As I've gotten older, the backspace button has become a close friend. Occasionally I still post before I have time to reconsider the reactions I will undoubtedly get (ie my Pyro thread). Anyway, I hope to be helpful and entertaining to the HS community... if I end up feeling disliked or undesired by the majority I'll just find the Exit. lol

Remember kids, people always prefer degrading garbage over clean, wholesome show. Just saying. I mean you dont have to watch the degrading crap, but in the end, people choose to. So people shouldnt complain about this at all. If they dont like the flaming, dont join. If you dont like the forum, quit. See if anyone of us care about some unknown people quitting. This forum is an option. You dont have to like it. You can always quit. Krn out.

P.S. Do you know what bandwaggoning means?
    P.S.S I cant remember last time we flamed someone new. Horus? Inderpaul? Charlie? Yup, they are good wholesome forum members alright.

Krn out.

I don't remember me flaming a new user ._. All I do is lurk at HotSands

And for those ppl who flame new users and all that stuff, its better to tell em
    "IF UR NOT GOING TO SAY SOMETHING NICE THEN SHUT UP" :) lol
    <--Scania<->Lv.9X Dragon Knight<->weapon311-->
    <--Mardia<->Lv.4X Page<->Machete32-->

I registered yesterday, and I haven't got flamed yet. Maybe it's getting better?

I like the Hidden Street forums now. :) We have nice members, good discussions, interesting arguments, and fun forum games. Someone should make a poem, goddamnit.

No my friend kon, Wigum likes to make things seem worse than it is. We welcome new members who isnt a retard. You, my friend is one of non-reteraded, forum friendly, member. Welcome to the family.