Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Default Frequently Asked Questions

Created, in part, to minismise the number of repeat threads in this section of the forum. This thread aims to answer most of the general questions that bug the average Magician. These questions can be proven by empirical means. Of course there will be other questions that hinge more on the player's preferences and style of play.

The current roster of contributors answering the questions:
    au2k5
    ElderDragon
    BigFuzzyDoor
    whendoom
    penguin4tor

On to the questions:
    ==============

Q: What's the difference between INT and Magic Attack:
    A:
    As its name implies, magic attack counts for the magic damage that you are able to inflict. INT on the other hand is equivalent to 1 point of Magic Attack and 1 point of Magic Defence. It's also been said to affect accuracy, but it's specualtion for the time being.

Q: What affects MP growth?
    A: Your base INT and the level at which you started adding points into the MP Increase skill.

Note on MP increase: As the skill descriptor says, it gives additional MP every time you level up. Therefore, the best way to utilize this skill is to master it as early as possible.

Q: Staff or Wand?
    A:
    The difference mostly in the fact that they have different weapon swing speeds, with wands being faster than staves. Weapon swing speed, in turn, is only relevant when casting Explosion (F/P Mage skill). Otherwise, weapon swing speed doesn’t really affect the casting speed of your other spells (That’s the department of Spell Booster). The choice then, is up to your own aesthetic taste and disposable income.

The most pertinent factor when choosing a weapon for your character is whether it gives you a high overall Magic attack, because this is what ultimately determine the damage year are dealing out.

Q: What are Luckless/Capped Luck/Low Luck mages?
    A:
    Luckless mages refrain from adding points into their Luck stat, only adding into INT. This makes them stronger than the average mage. The downside is that they will be unable to equip normal gears. Ideally, they try as much as possible to get their Luck stat down to the minimum 4 points to maximize the effect.
    Here's a Pure INT/Lukless mage in action:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXW3O9v--Aw[/youtube]

A capped luk/low luk magician is one who caps their luk and begins to add only to INT at a certain level. Precisely when this is depends on your equips and what weapon you want to use permanently. The key is to cap your luk for the weapon you'd like to ultimately use forever, keeping in mind that luk from your gear DOES count towards its luk requirement. The lower you can keep your base-luk the better. Now that shields are scrollable for luk in GMS, if you get a shield with a good amount of luk on it, you can keep your base luk that much lower, and thusly your base INT (and therefore magic attack) that much higher.

Low luck mages add points lower than the stat requirement for the weapon they wish to use. The missing Luck points are made up through the +Luck bonus of the gears they are wearing.

Q: What does the Luck Stat do for Mages?
    A:
    The Luck Stat is mainly needed to meet the Stat requirements for wearing equips. It's also used to keep the exp loss% to a minimum whenever you kick the bucket during training (5% if I'm not wrong).

Q: Does accuracy affect a mage's likelihood of hitting a monster?
    A:
    No, there is a separate Magic Accuracy that calculates the likelihood of hitting a monster for mages, but it is not shown. Magic Accuracy can be raised by LUK and INT (LUK gives slightly more than INT).

Q: Does the Cleric skill Heal heal 300% of your HP, like it suggests in the description?
    A:
    No, it does not heal 300% of your mage's HP. It is actually based on Magic Attack, but no [official] formula exists yet, so there may be other factors as well.

Q: Should I get Magic Armor or Magic Guard? Magic Armor seems to help more.
    A:
    Definitely Magic Guard. The difference is this: MA gives a set amount of extra defense, and so will decrease the damage a monster does to you by a certain set amount. MG, however, will decrease the damage a monster does to you by a certain percent. This will not be as much as MA helps you at the beginning, when monsters do little damage. But later, MG will protect you from a lot more damage than MA will be able to. So max MG and skip by MA.

Q: Should I skip maxing/putting points into Teleport?
    A:
    Not for any reason.
    At level 1, Teleport's MP cost is just too high. You'll run out of MP fairly quickly and that's gonna eat into your pot cost.
    With Teleport, you are able to Telecast which is arguably one of the most essential techniques for a Magician of any level as it allows you to quickly get a hit in and escape the attacking range of an aggroed enemy, especially those that use projectiles (ie, Viking's Cannonballs. Hey, You can even dodge Lupin bananas) This saves you from damage more often than not.
    Teleport improves your mobility by a considerable margin. Only Hermits with Flash Jump have greater mobility. This means that you are able to get to one end of a map to the other end fairly quickly, allowing you to train faster.
    For Priests/Clerics, teleport allows you to reach party members quickly for their buffs and heal, especially when they are very far apart.

Q: MP Eater. Huh?
    A: There's no need to think so much about it. It has a 30% chance of absorbing MP from a target. When you use a multi target attack like Ice Strike, each monster has a 30% chance of giving you MP.

Q: How does Holy Symbol work?
    A: Credits to Daos
    ==================

Currently, the thread is sparse. If you have any more questions (And I bet you do), feel free to ask, and our contributors will answer to the best of their abilities.

Do note that questions pertaining to Training Places should be asked at the relevant Sticky Thread. If you have any suggestions for rooms of improvement on this thread, do PM me.
    Randland Parody
    Stupid cow. Stupid, stupid, stupid cow.

The faces of Hidden-Street, through the years

Small little thing. Wand on average only requires lvl +2 luk to equip as oppose to staff which requires lvl +3 to equip.

Sidenote: thanks to Saighan for starting this and for including me. =P

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

I have a question about those who cap or go low luk. How much of a difference does it actually make to add those points in int instead? particularly for NO luk, lets say they get stuck using a lvl 8 - 2x wand depending on how well scrolled the gear is, wouldn't that inability to use the highest levels wands or staffs once they are higher level greatly decrease their total magic attack?

Quote Originally Posted by osayidan View Post
    I have a question about those who cap or go low luk. How much of a difference does it actually make to add those points in int instead? particularly for NO luk, lets say they get stuck using a lvl 8 - 2x wand depending on how well scrolled the gear is, wouldn't that inability to use the highest levels wands or staffs once they are higher level greatly decrease their total magic attack?
    Well, the concept behind the LUKless magician is simple. There are a few weapons, such and maple weapons and umbrellas, that add magic attack but don't require any luck which allow them to still have decent weapons.

The second part is the fact that 1 MATK on a weapon is equal to exactly 1 INT (Attack power wise). Because of this and the fact that the difference between the average magic attack of any two weapon is equal to the difference of the required amount of luck (there are exceptions [ie. the blade staff]). Now if you look at that carefully you'll notice that the amount of if the amount of luck needed is equal to the amount of MATk gained, that the amount of MATK gained if you were to put those points into INT instead is exactly the same.

All in all, because of a slight advantage that LUKless magicians gain in the beginning, they tend to have a greater MATK then normal LUK mages. However, LUKless magicians are eventually overcome by normal luck magicians because of the INT bonuses on equips (that LUKless mages can't wear) and equips such as the zakum helm which allow them to add less LUK.

I hope this helps... I didn't reread it or anything so some of it might not make sense. If you have any problems/misunderstandings just state them and I'll try and fix it.

Nah it made sense, and i'm glad i went normal luk.

Banned

Thanks for starting this saighan, I hope it gets stickied and grows.

Quote Originally Posted by osayidan View Post
    Nah it made sense, and i'm glad i went normal luk.
    I think you're getting the wrong impression from thathurt's post. While everything he said (assuming the math is done correctly) is true and luk mages will overtake luk-less mages, luk-less mages remain stronger up until 8x-ish. Even then, with proper gear, a luk-less mage can maintain his bonus in power well into 1xx. This will only hold true up until 1xx+ weapons become more well accessed.

Not to mention that luk-mages require less equips and are thereby cheaper overall.

Updated.

I wonder if I should include brief descriptions of the class specific builds also.
    Randland Parody

Quote Originally Posted by Saighan View Post
    Updated.

I wonder if I should include brief descriptions of the class specific builds also.
    Pros and Cons of the route is a good idea. Example the poison first route, lightning first,... etc. Specific build you can always argue in the stickied guide thread.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

Well, we can always fine tune it later :D
    Randland Parody

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whendoom View Post
    Pros and Cons of the route is a good idea. Example the poison first route, lightning first,... etc. Specific build you can always argue in the stickied guide thread.
    I like this idea. Keep it general so no one can say we're flaming anything.