Thread: Can I borrow your shoes?

Default Can I borrow your shoes?

Previously posted on SW.net, this is stupid and fluffly.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~

CAN I BORROW YOUR SHOES?

So there they were. Gleaming in the perpetual sunlight of Amoria's Purple Plains.

Red Moon Shoes.

I couldn't believe my luck! I'd been hunting for days for a pair, for no practical reason other than I really, really wanted a red pair of shoes to match my Starlight.

Over the other side of the hunting platform, my sister Amara squealed. 'Dessy! Look!'

'I know!' I called back to her. 'My shoes!'

I ran forward to pick them up, batting a few errant sakura cellions out of the way. I feel really bad about killing those things. They're so utterly adorable, as are most of the monsters, if I'm honest.

But now wasn't the time to ponder about monster rights. My shoes were there, revolving gently in the breeze. I reached out my hand and gripped the soft leather of the tops. I grinned. Hot diggety. Those shoes were MINE!

Amara came scurrying over. 'Oooo Dessy, they're real nice.'

'And they're mine,' I said, clutching them to me. 'C'mon. Let's go back to town, I wanna put them on.'

We hurried back to Amoria village, bracing ourselves incase there was a wedding happening at the chapel, which there usually was. But today, all seemed quiet, except for the odd permanent muzak that seemed to come from nowhere. It did that in all the towns.

'I swear if I ever find out where that music is coming from, I'm going to shoot a holy arrow through the person responsible,' Amara growled, hitching up the hem of her Starlight as we made our way to the dress shop.

I laughed. 'Ditto,' I said.

Once we'd reached the dress shop, and were inside one of the changing rooms, I slid my feet out of my tatty blue magicshoes and placed my wonderful silky red moon shoes on them.

Amara sighed. 'Oh Dessy,' she said, sitting down on a stool, 'they suit you so very well.'

'I know, right?' I grinned and observed myself in the mirror. 'Eee! They're so lovely!'

It was then I heard crying coming from the next cubicle. Puzzled, I tapped on the wall. 'Is everything ok in there?'

'Oh, I'm fine,' came a voice, the kind of overly cheerful voice that people use when they've been sobbing their eyes out but don't want people to know. 'I'm ok, really.'

I exchanged a look with Amara. 'Yeah right. Come out.'

The cubicle curtain swished back and we saw a red-eyed, sniffling girl in a red dress. By the look of the stuff in the cubicle behind her, I guessed she was an archer. She smiled at us. 'Hi. I'm Sky.'

'Dessy,' I said, my gaze drawn to her feet. 'Um, Sky... just a fashion tip. Snowshoes don't work with that dress.'

Sky burst into tears. 'Oh I know!' she howled. 'I'm getting married in an hour and I have to find a pair of red shoes to match my dr-' Her eyes locked onto my feet. 'Can I borrow your shoes?'

'Nuh-uh!' I stood firm, thinking that she'd rip the shoes from my feet. 'I just found these! 'Sides, they're wiz shoes and you're an archer.'

'Hunter,' Sky corrected. I sighed inwardly - she was one of those people that had obviously just advanced and was still tetchy about being called an archer.

'Well, hunter or whatever, you can't have my shoes.' I sat down. 'So there. SOrry but... you can't have them.'

Sky's lip quivered. 'B-but I'm getting married! I have to have shoes that match my dress!'

Amara had been digging in her pack the whole time this conversation had been going on. 'Here,' she said, shoving a pair of pink whitebottom boots into Sky's hands. 'Have these. Dessy, let's go.'

We hurried out of the store, leaving Sky holding the boots and looking utterly baffled.

Once we were at a safe distance, I questioned my sister. 'Well,' Amara said, 'I'm never going to wear them again. And they're almost red. Besides, you were going to lynch her if she touched your shoes.'

'True,' I conceded, sinking down on a bench. Amara sat down beside me.

We sat in silence for a while, watching people walk past on various errands.

'Dessy?'

'Yeah?'

'Can I borrow your shoes?'

I turned to my sister. 'Not. On. Your. Life.'

~FIN~
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

That made me go LOL!
    Monster Hunter Tri Status:
    - Hunter Rank: HR1 (Yay, me noob)
    - Favourite Weapon: Switch Axe
    - Current Most Proficient Weapons: Switch Axe, Hammer
    - Current Armour: Barroth Set + Lagiacrus Set