Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: THIS is why religion is ass

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post
    Good for him.

If god is a nice guy, then god wouldn't want him dead.

In Heaven...

Boy: God, why didn't you save me from my fatal disease?

God: I tried to, Boy. However, the final decision rests on you. Free will comes into play. I give you a choice; you act on it.

Boy: But I did follow your will! I remained pure! I had faith that you would save me!

God: The transfusion was my way of saving you. Do you know how lucky you are to even have that transfusion? You literally commited suicide. What did you expect me to do, click my fingers and wish your disease away?

Boy: ...

Moral of the story: Science pwns you. Whether god exists or not, science is still de fuhrer of this world.

Science as we know it are the laws of he universe. That much we know. Maybe they are God's rules for the universe. Or maybe, billions or people worldwide are misguides *******s. The latter seems cooler.
    The flip side of this story is

Boy: Why didn't you save me?
    God: You're better off here. :p

Don't be so quick to judge people by their beliefs. You'll miss a lot of interesting ideas if you close yourself off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saighan View Post
    It would suck more if there was a person on the waiting list denied the transfusion because of this.

Ah well. Let the gene pool be cleansed!
    Careful with the last statement. Go far enough with it, we'll all end up emotionless machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    Yeah, I'm much less sympathetic about him than I am about the mother's children in the original story. But the fact is that a 14-year-old is not old enough to make this decision. Before there's an outcry from the teenagers on this site, there is a simple fact you must come to terms with: Your brains aren't fully developed yet.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...evelopment.htm
    "Although many teens have fairly advanced intellectual and reasoning ability, recent research has shown that human brain circuitry is not mature until the early 20s. Among the last connections to be fully established are the links between the prefrontal cortex — the seat of judgment and problem-solving — and the emotional centers of the brain. These links are crucial to emotional learning and high-level self-regulation, explains the Harvard Mental Health Letter."

There's a reason that people are not considered adults at 14 and not tried as adults in court at 14 and are still ruled by their parents at 14. This boy was not an adult and the judge ruled very poorly. However, his parents might have chosen the same, I'll admit.
    It death or a lifelong fight with a crippling disease that will eventual lead to a painful death. I'll just leave it a the fact that he chose the easy way out.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

is this turning into a discussion of free-will or predestination? 'cause i hate those... >.<

Spoiler!

Would Lutheran Hospital be considered an oxymoron?

Yeah, I'm much less sympathetic about him than I am about the mother's children in the original story. But the fact is that a 14-year-old is not old enough to make this decision. Before there's an outcry from the teenagers on this site, there is a simple fact you must come to terms with: Your brains aren't fully developed yet.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...evelopment.htm
    "Although many teens have fairly advanced intellectual and reasoning ability, recent research has shown that human brain circuitry is not mature until the early 20s. Among the last connections to be fully established are the links between the prefrontal cortex — the seat of judgment and problem-solving — and the emotional centers of the brain. These links are crucial to emotional learning and high-level self-regulation, explains the Harvard Mental Health Letter."

There's a reason that people are not considered adults at 14 and not tried as adults in court at 14 and are still ruled by their parents at 14. This boy was not an adult and the judge ruled very poorly. However, his parents might have chosen the same, I'll admit.

Yes. Very true.

However, kids (I am a kid! I'm not a kid the day I earn my own $) can mature faster if they are put in a group of mature adults/mature kids.

In a group of people the same age, the dominant person, the leader, the one the others look up to, will influence the others. If he is more mature than the rest, the rest will also be influenced to become more mature.

However, it also happens the other way. If the leader is some dork, the others will become like him too.

So, being in HS is good for your maturity, while being in Basil is not.

Phantom Watch

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt
    However, kids (I am a kid! I'm not a kid the day I earn my own $) can mature faster if they are put in a group of mature adults/mature kids.
    that is an illusion. as uly sourced, the connections simply aren't there yet.

And my connections will never be there!

There's some surprisingly wise and brilliant "kids" on this forum. ^.^
    Some people, including their brains, mature faster than others. I posted that because the law should not have allowed that kid, who most likely did not have the mental development, to make such a decision.

various disguises

There's some surprisingly wise and brilliant "kids" on this forum. ^.^
    u r tlkin abt me amirite???

Just kidding ;)

Anyway, I agree with Ulyana here. At 14, a child should not be given the option in a life/death situation like that.

This depends on how one measures maturity. I'd agree with you if we establish that a functioning member of society is "mature", but as far as my measurements go (realization of the "footprint" you'll leave on the world, establishment of a rational worldview [including beliefs on society, religion, and happiness], assigning the role emotion and reason both play in your life and others' lives, and most importantly, the ability to think for yourself), looking up to a "role model" is, in fact, a great way to become more immature. Respect is one thing, but imitation of some figure does not make one mature, it makes them a zombie who portrays the illusion of maturity.
    Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post
    Everyone is gay for SOG.

Quote Originally Posted by EgrazCarn View Post
    is this turning into a discussion of free-will or predestination? 'cause i hate those... >.<
    There is a very simple solution for that. Guess.

I guess, whendoom, that the question we should ask ourselves, is "where do we draw the line?" Are you one to compromise, or one to hold staunchly to what you believe in? When will that attitude become outright foolish, and when is it admirable?
    Randland Parody
    Stupid cow. Stupid, stupid, stupid cow.

The faces of Hidden-Street, through the years

In general, it is the choice of each person to believe him or not. Every religion has its own rules and some laws that must be observed. Even people who believe in otherworldly forces also adhere to their laws. In general, I somehow had to face them and then I decided to turn to psychic reader, which I found on a very useful site.

Jr. Necki

Well, for some people, religion is salvation, and it helps them cope with many things in life, so I get it. For me, it's meditation and many other things, I even learn how to become a psychic because I have a strong source of energy. And I think all of it is okay as long as you don't force others to believe it.