Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: THIS is why religion is ass

Default THIS is why religion is ass

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7078455.stm

Hmm, let me think, my life vs eternal damnation for not following my religion's rules.

I'll take my life, please.

Discuss. Nicely.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

Arch-conservatism. tsk tsk tsk.

Interestingly, this has been covered lots of times in various media, the last one I remember being on Judging Amy, where I think it was whether or not the couple was guilty of manslaughter/neglect for refusing their child medical treatment.
    Randland Parody
    Stupid cow. Stupid, stupid, stupid cow.

The faces of Hidden-Street, through the years

Quote Originally Posted by CountessZero View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7078455.stm

Hmm, let me think, my life vs eternal damnation for not following my religion's rules.

I'll take my life, please.

Discuss. Nicely.
    Improbable!

That's ridiculous and disgusting, though. Those kids have to grow up without a mother and of course their church will take no responsibility, despite the fact that they indirectly murdered the woman with their brain-washing.

Caution - Nerding out now:
    It reminds me of the Babylon 5 episode "Believers." An alien family comes to the station and their son is dying of a very serious but easily curable issue with his lungs. Their religion says that they are not allowed to undergo surgery or they'll be contaminated or something. The doctor ends up defying their wishes (and his orders) to save the boy. The children then murder the boy because he's a hollow, demon-infested shell.

The show ends in a way that you end up questioning what you would have done in the doctor's position.

I was under the impression that Brits used "arse", not "ass".

As for the topic at hand, who cares. They're not hurting anybody, so let them. Each person has the right to do to his or her own body as he/she pleases - or so is my belief - so why bother commenting if someone makes a rather unusual (unusual for us) choice? It's all culturally defined anyway.
    I gave up Maple in exchange for an active sex and social life.

She left her children without a mother and effectively forced doctors to break their oath. All because she couldn't let her beliefs slide for one second.

That is selfish. Really selfish. I couldn't do that. If this was in America I'd just be like 'eh' but cuz it's Britain it really made me go WTF?

Stupid woman.

Yeah, Square, this isn't a discussion about tattoos or smoking marijuana, this is about life and death. It also affects her family very negatively forever. What does their father tell them when they're old enough and asking, "Where's Mommy?" "Well kids, I let her die because this book said so. I'd do the same for you."

I wouldn't really call it selfish. It's just a matter of how strong your beliefs are. In our parts they aren't that strong, usually, which is why this amazes you. But in India I've met people that have lived for 6 years in a cave in the Himalaya, without any human interaction whatsoever, just for their beliefs. I've met a guy that stood up right for 6 years, just for his beliefs. He even slept that way. His legs looked like tree trunks.
    Point is, people do crazy things for their beliefs. Some people believe stronger than others. I say, let them, they're harmless.
    You said it yourself, if it would've been in America you'd go "meh". So it IS culturally defined. This sort of thing happens everywhere, just more in certain cultures than in others. In the cultures that it happens least we think it's "not normal" or "weird", but doesn't "weird" actually mean "rare"?

My reaction still is "meh". Don't care. I've accepted that there are people who do things for their beliefs that I don't understand or that I find unreasonable, and I've made peace with that. The universe tends to unfold itself as it should. It's all very zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    Yeah, Square, this isn't a discussion about tattoos or smoking marijuana, this is about life and death. It also affects her family very negatively forever. What does their father tell them when they're old enough and asking, "Where's Mommy?" "Well kids, I let her die because this book said so. I'd do the same for you."
    No **** it's about life and death. But I happen to think that if a person wants to die they have the right to. Who am I or are you to decide about another person's life? No one can but themselves.

And I'm sure their family shares their faith and thinks it was the right thing to do.

I don't think you quite understand how these people think. They don't think they killed her or let her die, they think that god took her life, and that artificially keeping her alive would be trying to play god against god's will (although that's a paradox, because nothing can really oppose god's will, but this is not the time to point out inconsistencies in the bible). So that answer would be more like "God really missed your mother and called her towards him", or something of the sort.

We don't normally get nutters like that in Britain though. Your 'meh' attitude just shows that you really don't care, and that's sad. Imagine if you were those kids. Yes I know they'll be brought up as Jehovahs whatsits too but they will have no mother. They'll be told 'Mummy died and went to heaven because God told her it was better to die than be unpure.' I dunno about you but that would seriously make me think this whole religion thing is BS.

On that topic, I saw an amazing sticker in London on Friday night, I'll post the photo when Squeaky sends it to me.

It's not about not caring, it's more about:

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    I've accepted that there are people who do things for their beliefs that I don't understand or that I find unreasonable, and I've made peace with that.
    Your OMG-attitude shows that you can't see the world from a different perspective than your own, and that is sad. ;)

No, seriously, that's not sad, it's understandable, and you think you do the right thing by feeling how you feel, so actually it's praiseworthy. The problem is, those people feel they do the right thing too..

Oh, and it's not about being unpure, or "better to die than be unpure", they just think they'd go against gods will by artificially putting blood in her body, they think god drained her blood himself. Going against god's will is a sure ticket to hell. It's not an option for those people, since their whole life was a life in god's service.
    Their attitude is more like "We don't understand why god wants what he wants, but when she needed that bloodtransfusion, that was god's way of telling her "Come here!" and when god tells you to come, you come. Because he's god. We don't always like it, but that's the way it is."

I just don't understand how someone can put their beliefs before their own life. This is worse than suicide bombers in a way, although it's still brainwashing.

I guess because I have a strong self-preservation instinct I don't understand people like this. I think I'd agonise for about a second of 'oo, death or life' and then scream for blood, he he.

I think the doctors should have intravened and saved her. Same with switching off life support machines, it shouldn't be done because the person might, MIGHT pull through. I don't like animals being put down either, although there at least I acknowledge that it is often kinder to end their suffering. I've held enough horses as the vet injects that final dose into their heart, but I still cry like a baby :(

LIFE IS LIFE. SCREW RELIGION if it means you're gonna die.