Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Lexy's look at Spearmen/Dragon Knights

Phantom Watch

Default 'Lexy's look at Spearmen/Dragon Knights

omfgintro
    For all of you who don't know me, my name is Alex, aka Lexy.
    I play a level 13x Dark Knight, AnaIysis [formerly NegiWarrior], in GMS Scania. Please don't stalk me. x__x

This is my third guide, my first two guides being...
    Warrior DEX
    Making Mesos

And, for your enjoyment, here's my picture autobiography:
    1x
    Spoiler!

2x
    Spoiler!

3x
    Spoiler!

4x
    Spoiler!

5x
    Spoiler!

6x
    Spoiler!

7x
    Spoiler!

8x
    Spoiler!

9x
    Spoiler!

10x....
    Spoiler!

11x.
    Spoiler!

12x
    Spoiler!

13x
    Spoiler!

Anyway, back on topic:
    THE GUIDE.
    This is my BEST guide EVER!
    possibly not.
    But oh well...

Anyway, this guide was made to help warriors, spearmen, and dragon knights in need.
    Since I'm not at all done with being a Dark Knight, I will not have everything on Dark Knights, though I probably will have 99.99% on spearmen and swordsmen, and ~99.98% on Dragon Knights.

*DISCLAIMER*
    I did not copy any part of this guide. These are purely MY ideas, unless linked to somewhere else or quoted. Oh, and please don't copy this guide unless you give credit to me...

Table of Contents [# = post number]:
    1 - Introduction [this post]
    2 - Debates
    3 - Training Table
    4 - First Job
    5 - Second Job
    6 - Third Job
    7 - Everything else...
    Spoiler!

Also, for easy access [Ctrl-F, and type these in]
    omfgintro
    omfgdebates
    omfgtable
    omfg1st
    omfg2nd
    omfg3rd
    omfg4th
    omfgfinal

...You can tell what they stand for, lol.

So... bere's the REAL introduction:
    Maple Story is a fun MMORP- wait.
    This is HS.
    If you found your way here, you know what MS is.
    Okay..
    *thinking*
    Okay.
    Gotcha.

Restart:
    Warriors are one of the four m-

Restart:
    H-

SCREW THIS, here's just a FAQ, okay?
    Jeez.

FAQ:
    Q: What stats do I need for warrior?
    A: You need STR and DEX. When you're rolling the die, hope for a 4 LUK/ 4 INT combination. If you can't get this, go for a 4/5 or a 5/4 combination of LUK and INT. Why? Because these are useless to Warriors.

Q: OMG where do I train? T_T
    A: Will be answered later.

Q: Which 2nd/3rd job should I pick?
    A: Will be discussed later.

Okay, this ain't working out.
    Let's just get on with the rest of the guide...

Phantom Watch

Default 2. Master Debates

omfgdebates
    Okay, so you PROBABLY have heard a lot about many of these debates, but I’ll clarify anyway.

Major debates going ‘round:
    1) Warrior vs. other classes
    2) Spearmen vs. Fighters/Pages
    3) Pole Arms vs. Spears
    4) Hybrid vs. Pure

There are more, specific arguments, such as the classic Dragon Blood vs. Warrior Elixer debate, but we'll get into that later.

Warriors vs. Other classes

[Pros]
    Spoiler!

[Cons]
    Spoiler!

In short, Warriors have high HP and weapon defense and low MP and magic defense.
    Our range, damage stability, and attack speed suck, but we hit hard.
    Our incredible HP and defense allows us to solo bosses and solo train at maps where others would die in the blink of an eye.

Spearmen vs. Other Warriors

[Pros]
    Spoiler!

[Cons]
    Spoiler!

HB puts Spearmen at the front for second job.

In third job, Dragon Knights are supreme.
    They are, without a doubt, the best class for third job.

In 4th Job, well... we'll get to that part soon enough, but just remember...
    All good things must come to an end, and that "end" for DKs comes at the end of third job.

Pole Arms vs. Spears

Pole Arms do more damage slashing:

and Spears do more damage stabbing:

The Slash to Stab ratio is 3:2, meaning that for every 5 attacks, on average 3 will be slashes and 2 will be stabs.

Although the ratio is true, Spears do more damage while stabbing than PAs do while slashing.
    And, Spears do less damage while slashing than PAs do while stabbing.
    ...meaning that Spears have less consistent damage.

Since PAs have more consistent damage, and have the 3:2 ratio on their side, PAs do more overall damage.

However, PAs have slower attack speeds than Spears [in 2nd job].
    For example: the Maple Scorpio [PA] has a “normal” attack speed, while the Maple Impaler [Spear] has a “fast” attack speed.

So basically, to sum it up:

Pole Arms
    Spoiler!

Spears
    Spoiler!

However, in third and fourth jobs, you can throw all of the above straight into the trash can, since stabs and slashes become forced with Fury and Crusher, respectively. I'll go more in-depth on spears and pole arms in the descriptions of Fury and Crusher later in the guide.

Hybrid vs. Pure

As you may all well know, “Hybrid” spearmen use both Pole Arms and Spears, and “Pure” spearmen use only one or the other.

Here’s a hybrid:

[Tiger] *RIP*

Here’s a pure [spear]:

[Builds] *Vegetable*

Added by request:

Pure Spear.
    [Majal] *RIP*

Hybrid Spearmen are the most common spearmen in GMS, due to the forced stabbing/slashing of Dragon Crusher/Dragon Fury, respectively.

However, early hybrids came upon a roadblock.
    Namely... “WTF, Y NO FINALE ATK!??!”

Final Attack
    ...is VERY useful to spearmen in second job. With FA, spearmen train much faster than those who do not have FA.

To solve this problem, some intelligentbuttocks aka smartass devised a “1.5 hybrid” idea, where a player receives the FA of one weapon, while losing points into both weapons’ boosters.

Usually, 1.5 hybrids go PA first, just because PAs do more damage on average in second job.
    They then switch to Spear at the beginning of Third Job to get Dragon Crusher.

How do I know this?
    I’m a 1.5 hybrid! omg didnt see dat comin atcha huh? lolz noob

Okay, so here’s Hybrid vs. Pure:

Hybrid

[Pros]
    Spoiler!

[Cons]
    Spoiler!

Pure

[Pros]
    Spoiler!

[Cons]
    Spoiler!

Here’s a bonus picture!
    Spoiler!

Phantom Watch

Default 3. Training Table

omfgtable
    Okay, here’s a comprehensive training table.
    If you have any questions on where to train, go to the sticky.

[MINI*-Dictionary]
    Spawn ~ Monster Density. How often monsters appear on the map.
    Exp ~ For this section, I talk about exp as if it were "exp ratio," meaning how fast is the exp that you get.
    Me ~ Author of this guide.

Format:
    Job

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other Methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

*** Note that these ratings are made in comparison to the other training spots available at the level range.

Example:
    Henesys Hunting Ground I Levels 10 to 20 [link; I'm too lazy to put one here]
    Snail, Blue Snail, Red Snail, Shroom, Slime, Stump, etc. [unimportant monsters = strikethrough'd]
    It's a really crowded place. Go to HHG2 or HHG3 by going up the rope at the top of the map for less people, but less spawn.

Got it? Good!

BUT.
    Before we begin, here's a small handbook to training, aka general training notes...
    • Vines, ropes, ladders, and the like are very good things to have in a training map. Often times, these can be used to go AFK on. Keep your position in mind though. If you're in a place that's unsafe, Murphy's law might come haunt you, and the next thing you know, you're dead. Also, look at what kind of monsters are in the map. There are many climbables at Gobies, but Gobies can swim around and kill you very quickly. If the ladder thing is attached to a safe platform, always choose the platform over hanging on the ladder. It's better to be safe than sorry!
    • In Aqua Road and El Nath, watch your health. The environment takes away HP at a constant rate, and if you're low on HP, you might just die. Yes, the environment doesn't just lower your HP down to 1. It goes the extra step to 0.
    • In Leafre, there are many Gophers that occasionally pop up and stun you. Now this is all quaint, but if you're on a mount, it's bad news...
      Spoiler!
    • After you get Berserk, do not get ****y. You will die at least once, no matter how cautious you are with Berserk, but fewer deaths should make you happier, neh?
    • Mounts are usually only useful in training in large maps and when you wish to jump onto a ladder. For example, Mounts are very helpful in the Blue Kentaurus Map, since it's enormous, and there are often times where you must walk long distances without attacking. Also, the vines there are long. If you mount, jump, unmount, and press up, you'll have gotten halfway up a vine in half the time it would take without using a mount.

THE TRAINING TABLE

Beginner

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other Methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

Swordsman [First Job]

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

Spearman [Second Job]

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

Dragon Knight [Third Job]

Note: This section will require a lot of format changes.

Changes:
    • Since Pole Arm and Spear DKs have such different skills, I cannot color-code the maps, but I will color-code "Spear" and "Pole Arm."
    • Potions become an enormous issue after level 70, so I will include the approximate level of pot-burn that each map reeks. This will be out of five stars: five (*****) meaning incredible pot-burn, and one
      (*) meaning low pot-burn.
    • Many good training spots are made better with Priests, and I will tell you which maps are party-able and which aren't. Solo maps will have nothing added, while party-able maps will have a special party icon [aka this] in front of their names. Of course, party-able means 'a map in which you have an equal or better experience rate when in a party.' Otherwise, every single map would be party-able.
    Example:
    Spoiler!

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

Dark Knight [Fourth Job]

Training grounds
    Spoiler!

Other methods
    Spoiler!

Where 'Lexy trained
    Spoiler!

Suggested training spots
    Spoiler!

MAPS, as promised.
    Sleepywood Dungeon [Forest of Gollem]
    New Leaf City [Gryphons]
    New Leaf City [Wolf Spiders]
    Haunted Mansion [Hoodoo/Voodoo/Jacks/Mares]
    Perion East [Boars, Masks] Ignore the 'WEST' title.
    Lith Harbor [Pig Beach] ...wat

Phantom Watch

Default 4. First Job

omfg1st
    Before you get warriorized, you must go through the appleland... [aka maple island]

Here’s my very, very outdated map of the island.
    Spoiler!

So all you need to know on maple island is how to get to points B and C.
    Disregard the A, that's just a map filled with Orange Mushrooms.

[Maple Island Checklist]
    Spoiler!

Once you get to Victoria Island, don’t talk to Roger [whoever that taxi guy is] yet.
    Go to Olaf [still in Lith Harbor, just to the right] and complete his quiz. Then, accept his “path of warrior” quest.

Next, go to Perion via the taxi dude right below the maple island/Victoria island ship, and go to the very top right corner of the map to find a portal.

Go in.

Talk to Dances with Balrog:
    to complete Olaf’s quest, getting 300 exp.

If you’re funded, now’s the time to go to Amoria and use 25 squishy liquids for 500 exp and a random hair change. Don't do this if you don't want to start over. This quest has been known to give mushroom hair.

Talk with Dances with Balrog at level 10, with 35 STR or more.

Yay, swordsman!
    Congratulations.
    Now you have twenty levels until 2nd Job, when things really start to heat up.

But before that... you need to know how to distribute your AP [Ability Points] and SP [Skill Points].

For AP distribution, do not add any points into anything except STR and DEX.
    For Dex information, read my guide on Warrior Dex [here], and determine a good personal build for yourself.
    Keep in mind that most people nowadays raise their Dex to around 50 or 60 by constantly adding Dex until around level 60 or 70.

For SP distribution... you have to follow a build:

Builds

A build is a set model for how to add Skill Points into Skills.

There isn't too much room for variation in Swordsman builds, but there will be many, many different ways to add SP for second, third, and fourth job, so you get off easy for now. :P

Format of these builds:

Title of build
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Improved HP Recovery: 1
    Improved MaxHP Increase: 2
    Endure: 3
    Iron Body: 4
    Power Strike: 5
    Slash Blast: 6
    Extra: 9000+
    [skills : skill points total]

[Commentary]

Example:

Traditional Build
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Improved HP Recovery: 5
    Improved MaxHP Increase: 10 max
    Endure: 0
    Iron Body: 0
    Power Strike: 20 max
    Slash Blast: 20 max
    Extra: 6

[insert commentary]

Oh, and before I get ahead of myself with Builds, I need to introduce the Skills, huh?

Okay, so a skill is an ability that does something beneficial to you/your party or something not-so-beneficial to a monster/monsters.

Skills are divided into three groups: Passive, Supportive, and Active.

Passive skills are skills that activate automatically.
    There are two types of passive skills.
    The first group of skills share one thing in common: they are always on [Improved HP Recovery, Mastery, etc.].
    The second group turn on only when certain criteria are met, like reaching an HP mark [Berserk], the buildup of an existing skill [Advanced Combo], or even being on a ladder [Endure].

Supportive skills have to be manually activated.
    Most supportive skills are called 'buffs' in slang, and do just that: buff you up.
    Some supportive skills do other things, like cancel the power ups of monsters [Power Crash], cancel harmful status effects like poison [Dispel], or allow you to teleport [Teleport, duh?].
    Most of a Spearman's supportive skills will be buffs, with the exception of Power Crash [Dragon Knight skill].
    Also, many buffs help all members of a party, such as Hyper Body and Iron Will.

Active skills are the bread and butter of your life on Maple.
    They are often attack skills, which hit more damage than a regular whack to a monster. Some examples are Power Strike, Dragon Roar, and Rush.
    However, many active skills fall in the miscellaneous category. A lot of these can be considered supportive skills and active skills. Some examples are Fire Charge, Beholder, and Combo Attack.

Well... I lied. There's another category of skills.

Healing skills are skills that heal HP.
    Well, skill*. There's only one.
    Heal is the only skill in this category.
    It's a Cleric skill that you will get familiar with as you party more and more with Clerics, Priests, and Bishops.
    For now, there's only three skill groups, 'kay?

And this all brings us to your first job skills...!
    They are linked to their corresponding descriptions on the Hidden-Street database.

============= Skills ==============
    =================================

As for explanations of the skills, here you go.

============ Analysis =============
    • Improved HP Recovery Passive
    This skill helps you recover more HP in ten seconds of not moving.
    Obviously, you won't be not moving for long, and with free chairs in Maple Island that heal 50 HP/10 seconds, there is no point in putting points into this skill...
    Except that 5 points into this skill are needed for a very, very important skill: Improved MaxHP Increase.
    • Improved MaxHP Increase Passive
    This skill definitely does not look like much. Its grammarless description doesn't help either.
    In short, this skill helps you get more HP.
    It ups the HP you get from leveling up, and it ups the amount of HP per AP you put into HP [which, by the way, you should not do until late 3rd or anywhere in 4th Job].
    Although I've described Warriors as having the most HP out of all the classes, that is only partially true. If a warrior doesn't have this skill maxed early on... well, I'd feel sorry for their thief-status HP.

This skill should be maxed as soon as possible.
    Do not delay and go put some SP into Power Strike or something unless you really want to get killed in two hits by everything later on.
    • Endure Passive
    When I started out on my DK [er, spearman. 'Dragon Knights' didn't exist], I read a guide on Spearmen.
    It said that Endure was of utmost importance, and should be maxed.

What idiotic days those were.

Endure is such a bad skill, I can't describe in words how much it sucks.
    But then again, several Swordsman skills have equal amounts of failure and suckage.

Endure gives you the ability to heal HP while on a rope.
    More points into this skill allow faster healing when on a rope.
    Obviously, the amount of HP healed depends on one's level of "Improved HP Recovery."

There are two main flaws in this skill...

1. Chairs
    Chairs heal more HP than a high level of HP recovery does, and they look much nicer. This makes HP Recovery near-useless.

2. Improved HP Recovery
    This skill itself is a flaw. The amount of SP given to you during 1st Job is 61.
    If you choose to max Power Strike, Slash Blast, and Improved MaxHP Increase like most people do [those are the core skills of first job], you will have six SP left to distribute in anything.
    Six skill points.
    That's enough to nearly max Endure.
    But if you go with Endure, your HP recovery on ropes will be low, since your Improved HP Recovery will be level 5.
    If you decide to find a happy medium of sorts, and put four SP into both skills, your HP recovery will be better on vines, but still really, really bad.

tl;dr: Endure sucks ass, but you can put one point into it [or three, for Iron Body] if you like to go AFK a lot on vines or something.
    • Iron Body Supportive
    This skill sucks too.
    It adds weapon defense, up to 40.
    Weapon defense is pretty unnecessary, honestly.

I suggest one point into this for the effect, which is pretty nice.
    • Power Strike Active
    Power Strike will be your main weapon for all of second job, so do not skip this skill. It does 2.6 times the damage of a regular attack.
    • Slash Blast Active
    Like Power Strike, Slash Blast is a must, since you'll be using it for all of second job.
    It does 1.3 times the damage of a regular attack... on up to six monsters.
    It's also the only attack that targets more than one enemy for all of the first jobs.

==================================

SO...
    Here are the first job builds for warriors!!!!!! ^_^;

Traditional Build
    Spoiler!

________Results________

In this build, you get either Power Strike or Slash Blast first, depending which you prefer.
    The 6 leftover points can be used for any of the following skills:
    * Improved HP Recovery
    * Endure
    * Iron Body
    I recommend putting 3 points into Endure in order to get a few points into Iron Body for its lulzworthy effect.
    I personally put the last six points into Improved HP Recovery, because... well, the chair wasn't out yet.

Fast Leveling Builds

Build A
    Spoiler!

________Results________

Build B
    Spoiler!

________Results________

In these power builds, active skills [Slash Blast and Power Strike] are maxed first, allowing you to deal more damage earlier. However, these builds, especially build B, result in a large HP difference as compared to users of the traditional build. I really don't recommend this type of build.

Defense Builds

Build A
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Iron Body: 20 max
    Power Strike: 0/20 max
    Slash Blast: 20 max/0
    Extra: 3

Build B
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Iron Body: 12
    Power Strike: 15
    Slash Blast: 15
    Extra: 0

Build C
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Iron Body: 20 max
    Power Strike: 11
    Slash Blast: 11
    Extra: 1

Defense builds focus on one skill: Iron Body. This skill isn't exactly necessary, but it might be helpful in early levels. However, by following a defense build, a warrior is sacrificing a LOT, namely Power Strike and Slash Blast.
    Defense builds are incredibly varied, since the main goal is to get some points into Iron Body. But that's the only good thing I can say about them.

One Active Skill Build
    Spoiler!

________Results________
    Power Strike: 0/20 max
    Slash Blast: 20 max/0
    Extra: 26

This build is the general form of the Defense Build section’s Build A.
    In this build, a person goes with either Power Strike or Slash Blast.
    Now you may think that this build is omfgsuckage, but I beg to differ.
    You can CPQ to level 50 and LMPQ/PPQ/OPQ to level 70, when you can start using your next set of attack skills, all on a single skill.
    The only problem I have with this build is that there’s no point for it. The twenty-six leftover points can be used in Endure, Iron Body, and Improved HP Increase. The thing is, those three skills are useless, and you might as well get both attack skills anyway.
    I don’t recommend this build, but it’s not that bad.

So, in case you're wondering where to train, go to the training table in post # 3 [the post right above this one, duh]!

Anyway, so once you've reached level 30, go get your job advancement...

Phantom Watch

Default 5. Second Job

omfg2nd
    Okay, so you’re finally level 30.

You’re still a noob, believe me.

People [like me] will still call you “noob omgomg” [except I wouldn't say something stupid like "omgomg," since I am a very educate- OMGOMGOMG U R NOOB!!11222@2 person.]

What's in this section?
    Well, I put information about...
    * The Job Advancement
    * Skills
    * Builds

The Second Job Advancement
    So, how exactly DO you get your second job advancement?

Well, here it is in a nutshell:

1. Get to level 30.
    2. Go to Perion and talk to Dances with Balrog.
    3. Go to West Rocky Mountain IV and talk to the Job Instructor.
    4. Kill monsters in the job advancement map to get 30 dark marbles.
    5. Talk to the Job Instructor.
    6. Go back to Dances with Balrog.
    7. Choose your job.
    8. GRATZ!

And here it is in a coconutshell:

1. Get to level 30.
    Self-explanatory.

2. Go to Perion and talk to Dances with Balrog.
    He’ll say, “OMG u grew sinc da last tiem I saw u”
    [and you can think, “dang, you’ve been sitting like that all this time?”]

Then, he’ll give you a quest item, and will ask you to bring that to the Job Instructor at West Rocky Mountain IV.

3. Go to West Rocky Mountain IV and talk to the Job Instructor.
    Here’s a map.

He's an ugly bish, you can't really not find him. :3

4. Kill monsters in the job advancement map to get 30 dark marbles.
    The monsters in the job advancement map are:
    Fire Boar
    Lupin

These do more damage than their outside counterparts, and have less avoidability, so you can hit them even if your DEX is less than normal [Dexless, I’m not so sure…]

The monsters drop dark marbles at about a 1 marble per 2~4 monster rate.
    So this means you’ll have to kill 60~240 monsters.
    This means, bring potions [around 70 orange potions and 30 blue potions will do].

5. Talk to the Job Instuctor
    He'll send you outside once you get 30 marbles, and he'll give you a "proof of a hero" or something like that.

6. Go back to Dances with Balrog.
    Do it.

7. Choose your Job.
    Spearman, or gtfo this guide.

8. GRATZ!
    Quoth the self-proclaimed beaner who quit Maple, MuffinRogue: "CONGO RATS@@@@@@@@@@"

Skills
    ==============List o' Skillz==============
    Mastery ~ Spear/Pole Arm
    Booster ~ Spear/Pole Arm
    Final Attack ~ Spear/Pole Arm
    Iron Will
    Hyper Body
    =====================================
    Analysis

Mastery
    Passive
    * Increases ACC by a given number of points.
    * Increases minimum damage to a set percentage.

The percentage for mastery is not...
    [Minimum damage]/[Maximum damage] x 100.

Aka, your minimum damage does not become your maximum damage multiplied by the given percentage.
    It's actually lower than that... but by how much, I cannot say. I don't know, lolol :<

Booster
    Supportive

* Makes your attack speed faster
    * The more points put in, the longer it lasts, and the less MP it uses.

Note: Rumor has it that more points in booster makes your weapon go faster.
    FALSE. It simply doesn't.

Note: Booster is also used to portray "Secks" in Maple Story, as shown in the picture.

Here's the results of a test I performed:
    Spoiler!

This post by 'Devil's Sunrise' of SouthPerry forums [Mondays] also points in the same direction.
    Though this is obviously more in-depth, blah.

Final Attack
    Passive
    * A faster follow-up attack after Power Strike or Slash Blast.
    * FA does NOT work with 3rd job skills like Buster and/or Fury.
    * FA's chance of success and its damage depends on how many points you put into it.

FA may hit one monster or more than one monster.
    If you used Power Strike and FA was initiated, it hits only one monster with the given damage percentage.
    If you used Slash Blast and FA was initiated, it hits up to six monsters with a damage that I am not familiar with....

BUT, LUCKILY...
    emailbox, the talking encyclopedia, delved deeper into this quandary.

This is sourced from the information he gave:
    You hit a certain percentage of damage on the first monster with Slash Blast Final Attack, and half of that percentage of damage will hit the second monster back. For example, if you hit 100% on the first monster, you would hit 50% on the second monster, and 25% on the third, and so on, and so forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    *Edit: Trawled through miles and miles of data and I don't think exact percentages are known, but it'll spread that 250% damage over the mobs unevenly. *See above*
    The first mob takes a lot of damage though. Way more than the second...
    Note that your wide damage range blurs this up, so you might see something like:
    1000 700 200 400
    Instead of:
    1000 500 250 125

Some more interesting tidbits on Final Attack:
    • Spear/Pole Arm final attack is slower than Axe/Sword/BW final attack.
    • Final Attack has a bit more range than a normal attack.
    • Final Attack has a separate accuracy calculation than regular attacks [it has less accuracy].

Iron Will
    Supportive

Iron Will is probably supposed to be named "Iron Wall," hence the effect and the icon. I might be am never wrong.
    Iron Will gives extra Wdef and Mdef to all party members, and the amount it gives is the same as the number of Skill Points put in it.
    However, with the recent addition of Grilled Cheeses [NLC potions] and the long-standing tradition of asking clerics to "Bless pl0x," Iron Will is nearly useless.

Here's some calculations on Cheeses vs. Iron Will!
    [Assuming that HP costs 1 meso each, and MP costs 2 mesos each]
    Iron Will:
    Lasts 5 minutes when maxed, costs 24 MP
    24 x 2 = 48 mesos for 5 minutes
    48 x 6 = 288 mesos for 30 minutes
    Gives 20 wdef and 20 mdef.

Cheeses:
    Lasts 30 minutes, costs 1000 mesos.
    Gives 500 HP and 500 MP.
    1000 - 500 - 500 x 2 = -500 for 30 minutes
    Gives 20 wdef.

Thus, you're actually saving money by using grilled cheeses, since their original HP/MP healing skills are already well worth the 1000 mesos each.
    However, if you use Iron Will, you gain extra MAGIC def, which may help in certain situations [probably unoticable anyway].

Hyper Body
    Supportive

HB is THE defining skill of a spearman.
    It adds up to 60% extra HP and MP for all party members [meaning 160% of your usual HP/MP, of course].
    Not much else to say about it.
    Well, it's the flashy-est skill for a spearman until you hit third job. (^_^)b

Builds
    Format:
    Build Name
    [level]: [# of points] ~ Skill Name, [# of points] ~ Skill name
    Repeat.

General Comments
    When it says "Spear/Pole Arm" and "Pole Arm/Spear," it means that you can choose either one, but stick with that one. When you see the names of the weapons flipped, choose the other weapon's skill. For example [see below for reference], if you're choosing to use Pole Arm first in a 1.5 Hybrid build, you'd first put points into Mastery : Pole Arm where it says "30 ~ 1 ~ Mastery : Spear/Pole Arm." When you get to level 54, it says "1 ~ Mastery : Pole Arm/Spear." At this point, you should put the Skill Point into "Mastery : Spear," since you went Pole Arm first. It's easier than I made it sound, okay?

Final Attack is saved up for due to its crappyness at lower levels, since it almost never occurs, and it doesn't do you as much good as another regular skill [Power Strike/Slash Blast] would. However, at level 15, FA begins to shine, so that's why I put "Save up" until level 15.

Iron Will isn't really that needed. You could instead put Iron Will points into first job skills such as Endure, Iron Body, and Improving HP Recovery. [No saving up for third job skills though.]

And without further ado, here are the BUILDS.

Traditional Build [Pure Spear/Pole Arm]
    Spoiler!

Alternate Traditional Build [Hyper Body before Final Attack]
    Spoiler!

PQ Build* [Hyper Body first]
    Spoiler!

Traditional Hybrid [No Final Attack]
    Spoiler!

1.5 Hybrid
    Spoiler!

Hyper Body Build : Pure Spear/Pole Arm
    Spoiler!

Hyper Body Build : Traditional Hybrid
    Spoiler!

Hyper Body Build : 1.5 Hybrid
    Spoiler!

* All credit for this build goes to Natalious [James], he who failed and quit Maple.

Phantom Watch

Default 6. Third Job

omfg3rd
    Lalala.
    Third Jobz0r.

What’s in this section?
    ~Job Advancement Information
    ~Skill Information
    ~Builds
    ~Tips/Q+A

As you can see, this table of contents is quite unique, and looks nothing like the one I used in the post above.

The Third Job Advancement
    HS's "guide" to this.

1. Go to Nath, and talk to Tylus.
    Spoiler!

2. Go to Dances with Balrog.
    He'll comment on how much you've grown again, and...
    he'll ask you to defeat his "dark side."

2.5. Buy Potions.
    Buy a few allcures from people in the FM, maybe ~20.
    Get a few HP pots [barbarian elixers work fine], 100 should be more than enough.
    Get a few Mana Elixers [Or whatever you use for MP], 50 should cover it.

3. Go to Ant Tunnel Park.
    ...and find the Door of Dimension on the upper right side of the map.
    It will teleport you to the third job advancement fighting area.
    Spoiler!

Walk all the way to the right, and enter the portal.

4. Kill Dances with Balrog's dark side.
    He has 150000 hp, which looks like a lot, but it really isn't. 20 minutes is more than enough time to kill him, and then kill his carcass five times over.
    Spoiler!

However, he DOES summon Tauromacis, and these DO get your your way somewhat.
    When he's dead, he drops this:
    Spoiler!

After you get this, click on the NPC at the top of the map, and you'll be teleported out of the map.

5. Go back to Dances with Balrog.
    He'll give you this:
    Spoiler!

in return for that black thingy.

6. Go back to Tylus.
    Give him the necklace.
    At this point, you should go get a dark crystal [refined].

7. Go to Holy Ground at the Snowfield.
    Here, you'll have to give a dark crystal [refined] to take a quiz with some questions pertaining to maple story.
    Answer to the best of your ability, but be warned: If you don't answer one correctly, you'll have to use another dark crystal to initiate the quiz again.
    A HS guide for cheaters
    You'll get "the Necklace of Wisdom."

8. Go back to Tylus.
    And you'll finally be a Dragon Knight!

Skill Information
    Listz0r
    Elemental Resistance
    Spear/Pole Arm Crusher
    Dragon Fury : Spear/Pole Arm
    Sacrifice
    Dragon Roar
    Power Crash
    Dragon Blood

In-depth Lookz0r

Elemental Resistance
    Spoiler!

Spear/Pole Arm Crusher
    Spoiler!

Dragon Fury : Spear/Pole Arm
    Spoiler!

Sacrifice
    Spoiler!

Dragon Roar
    Spoiler!

Power Crash
    Spoiler!

Dragon Blood
    Spoiler!

Builds
    I don't really know many builds, so here's just a few examples.

My Build [1.5 hybrid]
    Code:
    70 ~ 1 ~ Spear Crusher [1]
    71 ~ 3 ~ Spear Crusher [4]
    72 ~ 3 ~ Spear Crusher [7]
    73 ~ 3 ~ Spear Crusher [10]
    74 ~ 3 ~ Spear Crusher [13]
    75 ~ 3 ~ Spear Crusher [15], 1 ~ Sacrifice [1]
    76 ~ Save up [3]
    77 ~ 6 ~ Crusher : Spear [21]
    78 ~ 3 ~ Crusher : Spear [24]
    79 ~ 3 ~ Crusher : Spear [27]
    80 ~ 3 ~ Crusher : Spear [30]
    81 ~ 2 ~ Sacrifice [3], 1 ~ Dragon Roar [1]
    82 ~ 1 ~ Elemental Resistance [1], 1 ~ Dragon Fury : Spear [1],  1 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [1]
    83 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [4]
    84 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [7]
    85 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [10]
    86 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [13]
    87 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [16]
    88 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [19]
    89 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [22]
    90 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Fury : Pole Arm [25]
    91 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [3]
    92 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [6]
    93 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [9]
    94 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [12]
    95 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [15]
    96 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Blood [18]
    97 ~ 2 ~ Dragon Blood [20], 1 ~ Dragon Roar [2]
    98 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [5]
    99 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [8]
    100 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [11]
    101 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [14]
    102 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [17]
    103 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [20]
    104 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [23]
    105 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [26]
    106 ~ 3 ~ Dragon Roar [29]
    107 ~ 1 ~ Dragon Roar [30], 2 ~ Sacrifice [5]
    108 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [8]
    109 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [11]
    110 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [14]
    111 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [17]
    112 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [20]
    113 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [23]
    114 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [26]
    115 ~ 3 ~ Sacrifice [29]
    116 ~ 1 ~ Sacrifice [30], 2 ~ Pole Arm Fury [27]
    117 ~ 3 ~ Pole Arm Fury [30]
    118 ~ 3 ~ Elemental Resistance [4]
    119 ~ 3 ~ Elemental Resistance [7]
    120 ~ 3 ~ Elemental Resistance [10]
    Assault's build [pure spear]
    Code:
    LV70 - Buster (Spear)        +1 (LV01)
    LV71 - Dragon Fury (Spear)   +1 (LV01)
           Sacrifice             +2 (LV02)
    LV72 - Sacrifice             +1 (LV03)
           Dragon Roar           +1 (LV01)
           Buster (Spear)        +1 (LV02)
    LV73 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV05)
    LV74 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV08)
    LV75 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV11)
    LV76 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV14)
    LV77 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV17)
    LV78 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV20)
    LV79 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV23)
    LV80 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV26)
    LV81 - Buster (Spear)        +3 (LV29)
    LV82 - Buster (Spear)        +1 (LV30)
           Dragon Roar           +2 (LV03)
    LV83 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV06)
    LV84 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV09)
    LV85 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV12)
    LV86 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV15)
    LV87 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV18)
    LV88 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV21)
    LV89 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV24)
    LV90 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV27)
    LV91 - Dragon Roar           +3 (LV30)
    LV92 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV03)
    LV93 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV06)
    LV94 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV09)
    LV95 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV12)
    LV96 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV15)
    LV97 - Elemental Resistance  +3 (LV18)
    LV98 - Elemental Resistance  +2 (LV20)
           Sacrifice             +1 (LV04)
    xdgr's Build/Opinions!
    Code:
    I have a dumb pure spear build.
    I haven't been on my character for a while,
    but I think it's..

Maxed Spear crusher
    16 Spear fury (don't ask)
    Maxed Dragon blood
    7 Dragon roar
    1 in ER (I think, maybe)
    3 Sacrifice

(To all aspiring DK people, DON'T do the build I have)

If you must know about the right 3rd job builds, as a pure spear DK,
    I would probably have this if I had a lot of 3rd job SP resets.

Maxed Spear crusher
    1 Spear fury
    Maxed Dragon roar
    3 Sacrifice
    1 Power crash
    1 ER, or I might just put the rest into ER

Should be around... say, 12 or 11 points left over.
    I don't know what to do with the rest of them,
    but I think I'd just dump them all into ER or something.
    Majal's build!

Code:
    My Build is uniqe, let me see if I can remember.

Free point into buster,
    then making it so it hits 3 or hase 3 attacks,
    whatever comes first,
    then putting it in, again.

Then maxing roar,
    then putting into spear fury.

Builds in a very large nutshell

Pure Spear (no Dragon Blood)
    Spoiler!

Pure Spear (Dragon Blood)
    Spoiler!

Pure Pole Arm (no Dragon Blood)
    Spoiler!

Pure Pole Arm (Dragon Blood)
    Spoiler!

Hybrid A
    Spoiler!

Hybrid B
    Spoiler!

Hybrid A (dragon blood)
    Spoiler!

Hybrid B (dragon blood)
    Spoiler!

Skills in builds
    Spoiler!

Tips, Q/A
    Here's a good reference thread, if you care.

Q: Spear Fury: Is it a piece of junk?
    A: No.
    Spear Fury is incredibly helpful in mobbing.
    Simply jump, use spear fury, and the monsters will start following you.
    No upclose and personal slash blasting necessary!

If you're going pure spear, you should DEFINITELY get spear fury.
    If you're going hybrid, I suggest getting spear fury as well.
    It really helps at Wolf Spiders and Gobies if your current weapon is a spear.

Phantom Watch

Default 7+8 = 15. Fourth Job as well as Final Words

omfg4th
    The 4th Job information is on pages 12 to 13 of this thread.
    This is because...
    1) I didn't expect to get to 4th Job.
    2) I didn't expect to live long enough to see 4th Job come out in GMS.
    3) I was lazy.

Anyway, click on the links below to go to their corresponding areas!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

omfgfinal
    Okay, so this section is basically a "BAIBAI SEE U AGEN" deal.
    BAIBAI SEE U AGEN.

Anyway, please tell me if I screwed something up on this guide, because I was really rushing at the end. I did sections 4 through 7 in one day [section 4 referring to the second time], and I probably made some huge ass typos.

Blah.

DKs r pwnagez0r.
    Very pwnagez0r.
    Spearmen r less pwnagez0r, but stil r pwnagez0r.

Oh, and if the rest of the guide didn't teach you anything, just remember this:
    DON'T STALK ME AND RANDOMLY DEFAME ME.
    OR TRY TO SCAM ME OF MY ACCOUNT.
    Wtf.

...and here's the typical scam0rstalker I meet every once in a while:

I bet he's fapping to my guide right now, that nubz0r.

EDIT: LOL, it turned out too big for HS.
    Whatever, use a magnifying glass [aka, I'll redo it later].

But, still, I have time to add my usual thanks you section:
    The guide would not have been at all possible had it not been for...
    Builds [Assault], for crazy leveling skillz.
    Majal, for poking my ass to keep going on.
    Recondite, for being a cool guild.
    All my old guildmates from Debonair, for not being jerks *cough Lisa cough*
    Tiger, for being my role model*
    SpearAthlete, for being the first DK I ever saw, after coming back from a six month break.
    All of those friends who helped me level to 80.
    Yes you, Evander, and you, Chelsea, and Steph, and Jane, and Lisa, and Daniel, and Jerry, and Neil, and Andy, and James, Ahmed, Zhu, Ryanis, Ron, Chris, Jamie, Ying, Aaron, Mark, David, Daniel#2, Danny#3, and all of my friends who quit, and all of them who are still playing.

* ~ I don't care what anybody says. I saw him at level 9x, and he made me who I am in Maple today, and I still look up to him. No, I'm not a Tiger stalker/groupie. And yes, I do like to laugh at the people who are such. And no, I'm not in denial of being a Tiger groupie, but like many GMS players, I see him as a legend.

Contributors:
    Assault, for the "Questions for DKs" thread, and for the build from that thread
    JRKnight from YouTube, for informative vids
    xdgr, for his build[s]
    Myrih, for noticing a ton of typos.
    Wigum, for noticing that I mis-noticed something.
    Majal, for his "uniqe" build + training suggestions [aka Lotz now]
    emailbox, for being an intelligent butt.
    darkkillerEx, for a training suggestion!

Banned

Hey! I am a Pure! Make me it! lol.

Great guide. Overdone. 10/10.

I found this guide really helpful. Even though I'm going to be a fighter I'm having second thoughts since this guide is pretty persuasive.

You make too many guides.

0mg.
    ._.