Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Read this before you post a story!

lol, the last reply was a year ago, but it's a sticky, so meh.

First-hand experience: Read some of your previous chapters every once in a while. It's very easy to fall into plot continuity issues.
    I feel so acknowledged now that I've seen 17 people quote me in their sig. And 4 unfortunately.

Hot girl here:
    Spoiler!

Default Subtle hints?

New here--may I join this?

I find that subtle symbolism works for me. Especially for descriptive stories or stories where mood is important, these work well. Hint at the mood you want the reader to feel, with objects, colours, weather.

Most would think that this doesn't help, because no one's going to notice it--but in fact, they do. If you put in enough small hints, they'll start to feel the mood, inexplicably. It's that special "something" that the good authors' works always contain, and people can't pinpoint.

Of course, there's the risk of overdoing it and making your hints too obvious. Then that doesn't help. It's a hard balance to achieve; I've seen some manage it, however :)
    www.fanfiction.net/s/4380743/
    Please read this story. I cannot describe how hard I've worked on the piece; how many tears shed, how many nights of sleep lost.
    (Oh, and don't forget the reviews! They really are appreciated:))

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Building a setting/characters helps an average story become better. Describe things.
    For instance, "The school's high arches, spiked roofs, and forbidding walls greeted them as they entered, reminding them of a cathedral or some other grand structure" may be alot more wordy that "they went to school," (straight out of Hemingway) but it gives a better sense of scene so people can connect with what they're reading.

I'm sure someone's already given this advice though. I read page one then quick posted.

what the ****. the last post was two ****ing years ago what the ****.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    what the ****. the last post was two ****ing years ago what the ****.
    No other way to put it.

And im not even sure if Kira comes here anymore. ._.
    Holiday goals : Reach level 70 on my Dual Blader l Work on Compression and Destiny Defied l Find what i've always been looking for. l Open a new door and start anew. l Break HIM. l
    Complete - Green.
    Working on it - Purple.
    Hiatus - Red.

Hatred of you is what drives me, and i'll take solace in breaking your mind. I swear i will to whatever gods there may be, even if it's the last thing i do.

A Crusader's Guide.
    Story : Destiny Defied.
    Idea Compilation : Compression.

You can never necro a sticky

Good point.

That doesnt stop me from feeling the urge to tear Bulma apart.
    Holiday goals : Reach level 70 on my Dual Blader l Work on Compression and Destiny Defied l Find what i've always been looking for. l Open a new door and start anew. l Break HIM. l
    Complete - Green.
    Working on it - Purple.
    Hiatus - Red.

Hatred of you is what drives me, and i'll take solace in breaking your mind. I swear i will to whatever gods there may be, even if it's the last thing i do.

A Crusader's Guide.
    Story : Destiny Defied.
    Idea Compilation : Compression.

The only issue with Bulma's "tip" about stories is that some things are too irrelevant and not connected to the actual plot or theme to really need much description. It's better to put more emphasis on what helps the mood or theme. If it doesn't then you don't have to. It is possible to overdo the detail.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    You can never necro a sticky
    yes you can.
    a necropost is a post in a thread that is "old" (defined by each individual community) that is irrelevant or doesn't contribute to the thread.

bulma necro'd a 2 year old thread.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

But it's okay to necro a sticky.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward