Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern Illinois University Shooting

My post count is frozen. Megadeus's Avatar

care to share the source where you got those rankings strata?
    Well isn't that interesting?
    What's this? You bothered to highlight my sig?You're very bored then, aren't you? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    care to share the source where you got those rankings strata?
    http://www.spreekillers.org

Oh lawd, thank god for /b/. Someone posted this a while back. 'Twas hilarious. I thought it'd be good for reference, so I marked it.

I'll save you the suspense. Most are from the USA.

Gasp.
    a manaaah who does not existaaaah

At least 15 people have been injured after a man opened fire at a university outside the US city of Chicago.

Officials at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, about 100km west of Chicago, said the man shot and killed himself after he had opened fire at students in a lecture hall.

The university's website said police confirmed that the shooter had taken his own life.

Witnesses said the shooter, who was dressed in black and wearing a mask, burst into an auditorium with more than 100 students inside and began firing a shotgun.
    just what strata has said. i can believe this! he has a shotgun in a room with 100 people in it and doesnt get 1 death count at all and only 15 injured, wtf!!? even i can do better than that (not that i ever would, but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    See this is what happeneds when no one else has a gun! Everyone should have a gun!
    like Texas!
    which i totally agree.

but then agian we'd also might get more shootings as well =(

Quote Originally Posted by masterchocobo View Post
    [COLOR="#4169e1"]
    Did the police use the death note?
    i think the note was a threat not actually like death note like in the anime -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Strata View Post
    On the other hand, maybe the laws aren't the problem at all. Maybe Americans are just more dangerous than everyone else... Maybe it's the media. Or... maybe it's because parent's aren't spanking their kids anymore. I don't know. There's something seriously wrong with this country though.
    It's the freakin' parents for spoiling their gets and not disiciplining them or anything. and then they dont want to be held responsible for their poor parentingship so the blame the media, then the media blames videogames, and anime.

I seriously don't know what the hell is wrong with people. Everyone's just so angry and depressed all the time. Maybe it's popular entertainment desensitizing us to violence. Maybe it's the internet making people interact with others less and less face to face. Maybe it is, as Strata says, parents not disciplining their kids - most American parents are too busy with their jobs to even have a clue what's going on in their childrens' lives. If parents took the time to make sure their kids understood social responsibilities and the difference between fantasy and reality, would this be happening?

Oooor maybe it's the fact that we don't lock up the crazies anymore. You freak out? If you don't hurt anyone, you're taken in for a few days then released with some ****s. It then takes forever to get through the court system and have insane people removed from society. Look at Britney. If she shot up the paparazzi following her one day I would not be the least bit surprised.

People that are unstable can't all be fixed with ****s or relied upon to take the ****s if they can. Just lock them up, we don't need them.

I choose D - All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    I seriously don't know what the hell is wrong with people. Everyone's just so angry and depressed all the time. Maybe it's popular entertainment desensitizing us to violence. Maybe it's the internet making people interact with others less and less face to face. Maybe it is, as Strata says, parents not disciplining their kids - most American parents are too busy with their jobs to even have a clue what's going on in their childrens' lives. If parents took the time to make sure their kids understood social responsibilities and the difference between fantasy and reality, would this be happening?

Oooor maybe it's the fact that we don't lock up the crazies anymore. You freak out? If you don't hurt anyone, you're taken in for a few days then released with some ****s. It then takes forever to get through the court system and have insane people removed from society. Look at Britney. If she shot up the paparazzi following her one day I would not be the least bit surprised.

People that are unstable can't all be fixed with ****s or relied upon to take the ****s if they can. Just lock them up, we don't need them.

I choose D - All of the above.
    Or maybe its the video games like old people say.

See this is what happeneds when no one else has a gun! Everyone should have a gun!
    Bloody hell, no. If guns and the danger they present are not allowed, there is no need for guns to protect yourself. Americans may think that they have a right to have guns to protect themselves, but guns present even bigger dangers than they help to quell. Seriously, those shootings wouldn't have occured if it were illegal to sell, buy, ship, possess and use guns.

What are guns going to protect you from? A wild bear? Guns simply make life more difficult, since everyone can kill everyone.No other country that is developed has a major problem with guns and shootings. If everyone had guns, there would be Real Life Counter Strike going on right now, with idiots shooting each other, and everyone else dying from friendly fire or from the crossfire.

I think that its time people sacrifice their short sighted security that comes from possessing a weapon you think can protect you. They would get a gun free society where people have the right to walk into universities or anywhere on the streets without getting shot dead. You can say people have a right to defend themselves. I say violence is not the way and people should be entitled to security in knowing that people can't just walk into their class and shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post
    Bloody hell, no. If guns and the danger they present are not allowed, there is no need for guns to protect yourself. Americans may think that they have a right to have guns to protect themselves, but guns present even bigger dangers than they help to quell. Seriously, those shootings wouldn't have occured if it were illegal to sell, buy, ship, possess and use guns.

What are guns going to protect you from? A wild bear? Guns simply make life more difficult, since everyone can kill everyone.No other country that is developed has a major problem with guns and shootings. If everyone had guns, there would be Real Life Counter Strike going on right now, with idiots shooting each other, and everyone else dying from friendly fire or from the crossfire.

I think that its time people sacrifice their short sighted security that comes from possessing a weapon you think can protect you. They would get a gun free society where people have the right to walk into universities or anywhere on the streets without getting shot dead. You can say people have a right to defend themselves. I say violence is not the way and people should be entitled to security in knowing that people can't just walk into their class and shoot them.
    Oh really? Like government can control all those illegal shipping of guns from other countries. It would have happened ANYWAY. These guns were all obtained ILLEGALLY. By both seller and the buyer. Making guns illegal is unconstitutional, and foolish.

Oh really? Like government can control all those illegal shipping of guns from other countries. It would have happened ANYWAY. These guns were all obtained ILLEGALLY. By both seller and the buyer. Making guns illegal is unconstitutional, and foolish.
    The ultimate goal is to make guns illegal to everyone outside law enforcement and the army. Tell me, in other countries with strict gun control laws, why don't they have problems with mass shootouts?

Like government can control all those illegal shipping of guns from other countries.

They're not even trying. Making guns available to all would simply make a society go to the brink where everyone can kill everyone. Don't dare rely on the Mutually assured destruction theory to make sure society in order. A society which needs people with deadly weapons, afraid that other people with their own deadly weapons will shoot them, to safeguard the peace, is dumb and unimaginable. Such a society is unthinkable; its even more far fetched than having a gun free society.

It would have happened ANYWAY.

With stricter rules, less guns would have been available. THe chances of deranged idiots getting guns at the nearest convinience store is nil. If you want to get a gun, you'll have to do so illegally. Not everyone can do so, in any case, it would be the organised crime criminals who can do so. THe police will be there to stop those guys. For everyone else who have no access to the black market and illegal goods, they will have no chance to shoot people. Anyway, organised crime did not kill those students. Mad and sick people who could easily get guns due to the lax laws did so.

Be that as it may, the difficulty of the situation is no reason to not do anything about it.

Making guns illegal is unconstitutional, and foolish

America needs to rethink what is human right. Is it the right to kill people who try to kill them, or is it to be protected from these people who couldn't have killed them anyway if they didn't have such stupid laws.

The presumptiousness of the conservatives irk me.

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post
    The ultimate goal is to make guns illegal to everyone outside law enforcement and the army. Tell me, in other countries with strict gun control laws, why don't they have problems with mass shootouts?

Like government can control all those illegal shipping of guns from other countries.

They're not even trying. Making guns available to all would simply make a society go to the brink where everyone can kill everyone. Don't dare rely on the Mutually assured destruction theory to make sure society in order. A society which needs people with deadly weapons, afraid that other people with their own deadly weapons will shoot them, to safeguard the peace, is dumb and unimaginable. Such a society is unthinkable; its even more far fetched than having a gun free society.

It would have happened ANYWAY.

With stricter rules, less guns would have been available. THe chances of deranged idiots getting guns at the nearest convinience store is nil. If you want to get a gun, you'll have to do so illegally. Not everyone can do so, in any case, it would be the organised crime criminals who can do so. THe police will be there to stop those guys. For everyone else who have no access to the black market and illegal goods, they will have no chance to shoot people. Anyway, organised crime did not kill those students. Mad and sick people who could easily get guns due to the lax laws did so.

Be that as it may, the difficulty of the situation is no reason to not do anything about it.

Making guns illegal is unconstitutional, and foolish

America needs to rethink what is human right. Is it the right to kill people who try to kill them, or is it to be protected from these people who couldn't have killed them anyway if they didn't have such stupid laws.

The presumptiousness of the conservatives irk me.
    Yes, there is less gun shooting incidents within countries that has strict gun control laws, but those countries also have lower crime rate. Its harder for gun smugglers to smuggle guns into those countries. US is a whole different story. Because poverty is bigger here then the other countries (wealthy of course) there is higher crime rate.Those school shooting, it has nothing to do with legality of guns! They are illegal, obtained illegally, sold illegally. It would have happened even if gun was illegal in US.

Every person have rights to defend themselves. Constitution must be upheld, and not be destroyed by liberals like you.

Default It's not about liberals vs. conservatives - I'm more liberal but:

I have to disagree with you Firewizzy. Blaming it on the fact that we can have guns is pure scapegoating.

If guns had been banned for a long time, perhaps there wouldn't be shootings like this, but go back and read Strata's post. In it, people with knives are getting more kills than people with guns. Would you like to outlaw cooking utensils as well? Some psychiatrist woman in New York just got slashed up by a meat cleaver-wielding maniac a couple days ago and the guy's still at large.

If we suddenly banned guns, all the guns in circulation would be hidden by their owners and a black market would spring up instantly. Do you know who would have the guns, then? The criminals only.

Our Constitution is very sacred to us...almost religiously. Personally, I feel that everything the forefathers put in there had a lot of foresight, but the meanings are distorted nowadays. We were given the right to bear arms to protect our homes and families for things that are no longer a threat, yes. But there were also more important reasons:

Preamble:
    "...provide for the common defense..." This means that they meant for every American to be responsible for defending the country.

Second Amendment:
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This reinforces what was stated in the Preamble there.

There is another intention that many, including myself, believe. The founding fathers were standing up against their oppressors. Their oppressors were the British government. If we, as Americans, feel that our own government is failing us or is corrupt, I honestly believe that they meant for us to fight back physically just as they did. Obviously, we're not doing this. Obviously, I have no interest in doing this, but I'm pretty sure that was the intent:

James Madison:
    "Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger."

Also, don't use that yellow font. My poor eyes!