Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern Illinois University Shooting

Canada has a gun control law and we dont hear anything about this type of thing, except Montreal, its pretty rare in canada.

But it's common in USA for a school shooting, Colombine, Virginia tech etc.

its kinda sad really, that people still think you can protect your self from other people with guns, by arming yourself with a gun.

We have too many security holes here, Phoenix. We can't just disarm and make it all go away. The criminals would take all the guns and what would we be left with? I don't have a gun. I have no desire to own one. But I will absolutely defend the rights we were given in the Constitution.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people." It's the people's heads we need to fix.

firewizardjt:

Who says only organized criminals can get a gun illegally? I can go outside, walk three blocks and buy a 9mm (yes, they're very popular nowadays) for like 60 bucks.

Sad, but I'm not joking at all. I really can. I'm sorry to say that krn is right. The problem aren't the guns at all. Ok, maybe the laws do need to be tightened-- but besides that, it's the people.

It's everyone else's fault.

EDIT: My cousin's boyfriend bought a shotgun and a pistol a few months back. Both illegally. I don't think he paid over 150 dollars.
    a manaaah who does not existaaaah

Wow....even Starta....this is the first time that I wasn't fending for myself in an argument.

Wasn't my agreeing with you more surprising than Strata's?

Obama agrees with you, too. <3

I absolutely agree with you guys on the point that IF guns were made illegal a long time ago, gun control now would be much easier. However, making guns available to each and every person will only make things worse. Not everyone can get hold of guns legally or illegally, and handing people weapons so easily isn't a good idea.

The American constitution is very well guarded against a corrupted government. The people also seem to be given many responsiblilities. The problem is that it is impractical for everyone to be defending their homeland. Not everyone will be using guns to kill the enemy. Even now, with all the terrorists running around, they aren't being killed by guns; American are getting killed by guns.

Second Amendment: The well regulated militia

In many countries, the idea of a militia is unthinable. The chances of us turning into Iraq with all kinds of militia would get much higher. And besides, this law was made when the people were being oppressed by a corrupt government. Now, with democracy and all the constituional safeguards to guard democracy, there is no reason for a militia to exist. It should come about if and only if democracy doesn't exist anymore(The consitution was suspended?). In that case, there aren't any laws to be broken anymore. Besides, when was the last time the government went rouge? Instead, guns are killing innocents.

"Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger."

This insinuates that there is a difference between the state and the federal government, that there is a difference between the state armies and the federal armies. This is a little unneeded, since the American people make up both armies.

Also, don't use that yellow font. My poor eyes!

Didn't realise so. I apologise for adding +100 degrees to all your eyes.

Basically, are you guys saying that the people have a right to defend themselves with arms against things like a rouge government, criminals and everything else? But there are other ways to achieve these means other than violence. It is wrong to blame everything on guns, but guns can only be used to kill. I realise that it is next to impossible to change the status quo on guns, since recalling and making illegal guns will allegedly make innocent people vulnerable to criminals anyway; while making guns available to all is just plain dumb. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post
    I absolutely agree with you guys on the point that IF guns were made illegal a long time ago, gun control now would be much easier. However, making guns available to each and every person will only make things worse. Not everyone can get hold of guns legally or illegally, and handing people weapons so easily isn't a good idea.

The American constitution is very well guarded against a corrupted government. The people also seem to be given many responsiblilities. The problem is that it is impractical for everyone to be defending their homeland. Not everyone will be using guns to kill the enemy. Even now, with all the terrorists running around, they aren't being killed by guns; American are getting killed by guns.

Second Amendment: The well regulated militia

In many countries, the idea of a militia is unthinable. The chances of us turning into Iraq with all kinds of militia would get much higher. And besides, this law was made when the people were being oppressed by a corrupt government. Now, with democracy and all the constituional safeguards to guard democracy, there is no reason for a militia to exist. It should come about if and only if democracy doesn't exist anymore(The consitution was suspended?). In that case, there aren't any laws to be broken anymore. Besides, when was the last time the government went rouge? Instead, guns are killing innocents.

"Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger."

This insinuates that there is a difference between the state and the federal government, that there is a difference between the state armies and the federal armies. This is a little unneeded, since the American people make up both armies.

Also, don't use that yellow font. My poor eyes!

Didn't realise so. I apologise for adding +100 degrees to all your eyes.

Basically, are you guys saying that the people have a right to defend themselves with arms against things like a rouge government, criminals and everything else? But there are other ways to achieve these means other than violence. It is wrong to blame everything on guns, but guns can only be used to kill. I realise that it is next to impossible to change the status quo on guns, since recalling and making illegal guns will allegedly make innocent people vulnerable to criminals anyway; while making guns available to all is just plain dumb. What would you do?
    Police can't protect you from rape, robbery (certain cases) and school shooting by some insane people. As long as you are mentally stable, and has no desire to commit crime, you should be able to get a pistol or a revolver. I dont support full automatic rifle sale though. That is over-kill in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Police can't protect you from rape, robbery (certain cases) and school shooting by some insane people. As long as you are mentally stable, and has no desire to commit crime, you should be able to get a pistol or a revolver. I dont support full automatic rifle sale though. That is over-kill in my eyes.
    Yeah, really. If I'm walking alone at night are you saying that I should just accept any abuse that comes my way instead of fighting back? Not likely.

The American government IS corrupt and the founding fathers would be appalled at the way we've turned out. The people that go on these rampages always turn out to be people that weren't taking their psych meds (as is the case with this last one). They usually obtained the guns illegally (people with psychological issues cannot obtain a gun legally), and if guns were illegal they'd presumably still be able to because there are too many in circulation in the first place.

We are not Asia. You have a completely different culture - to me, Singapore seems extremely oppressive. From the things I hear about it, I'd be afraid to visit because I might break some law I'd never dream of (is it true you can't chew gum?). We highly value individual freedom of expression, for instance. We do (and you can see by our poor school system) encourage creativity and individuality over traditional book smarts. We don't really have the eyes of everyone upon us causing us to conform to the degree that you do. How would some weird, snarky girl like me fare in your culture?

You may not realize it, but state and federal governments are completely different. Actually, the government that affects the average citizen most directly is our city governments. Boulder, CO was going to impeach President Bush just yesterday, but it got voted down. State governments do have power and we're divided into states to keep the federal government in check.

And yes, I am saying that people have the right to defend themselves against criminals and rogue government - literally. It is laid out in the Constitution that we do. If someone breaks into your home and you shoot them, the law is on your side.

I realise that it is next to impossible to change the status quo on guns, since recalling and making illegal guns will allegedly make innocent people vulnerable to criminals anyway; while making guns available to all is just plain dumb. What would you do?
    Nothing. I don't understand why you're asking this since we don't want to change the law and you do. You should be suggesting something to us.

I already stated that what I want to do is lock up the crazies instead of hand them some ****s and put them back on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Thats a good point, though instead of using arms as a deterrent, the police should simply be better trained and better equipped. The law should be made stricter with harsher punishments as deterrents. Then there would be no need for gun to protect yourself. Life isn't a battlefield.

And yeah, machine guns as protection is dumb...

Thats a good point, though instead of using arms as a deterrent, the police should simply be better trained and better equipped. The law should be made stricter with harsher punishments as deterrents. Then there would be no need for gun to protect yourself. Life isn't a battlefield.

And yeah, machine guns as protection is dumb...
    What if
    1. He is stronger then you
    2. He is also trained in Martial Art.