Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of organized religion, the existence of God(s), and theism in general

various disguises

Quote Originally Posted by ~UnknownBandit~ View Post
    Who else is awaiting the "Pyrofyr Reaction"?

Five bucks says one of his posts here will ban him sooner or later. :\

Really, sorry for being off topic which is agaisnt your rules, but he'll probably be upset with this thread. Besides, what exactly happened to the one in Empty House?
    The one in Empty House eventually became a sort of general religious discussion thread, and so a week or so ago I proposed that I create this one to invite more people to the conversation and set up some ground rules.

Pyro actually supported the idea, and I commend him for his latest response. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Telecast
    In all seriousness, this thread needs to be locked. At the end of the day, it was just a rant, while the conversations in here are much more. -reports self in first post-
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock
    I see hard proof as something you can touch/feel/smell/hear/see. That's kind of how science defines it, anyway. I'm shaky about this debate, since religion really has no ammunition once science presents its logic-based theory papers.
    In science, there is no such thing as "hard proof". In fact, there is no such thing as a "proof" in science at all. That is reserved for logic and mathematics.

Science is fallibilistic. From Wikipedia:

...fallibilism does not imply the need to abandon our knowledge - we needn't have logically conclusive justifications for what we know. Rather, it is an admission that because empirical knowledge can be revised by further observation, any of the things we take as knowledge might possibly turn out to be false.
    Science is also objective, and therefore does not always take into account what we touch/taste/hear/smell/see. If 1 person out of 1,000 sees a clock on a wall, that person is most likely hallucinating. If 999 people out of 1,000 see a clock on a wall, that clock almost certainly exists.

In any case, I'm actually not very interested in science. I'm interested in the reasoning behind the epistemic assumptions of science and whether or not the methodology derived from those assumptions can give us any insight into the question of the existence of God.
    Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post
    Everyone is gay for SOG.

lol @ penguinz post D:

But thats what religion comes down to. We don't have any 'proof' of god. We don't need any. If we had it, it wouldn't be called religion. It would be called Science. All religion is, is the faith that it does exist. But you already knew that.

Also, I edited my post above, if nobody noticed.
    Checking in 10/16!
    Reboot - Lillivet ADD ME

I for one submit to our Flying Spaghetti Monster overlord.

*kneels*

Don't you mean flying spider cookie?

edit: Holy crap its Turles. Where'ya been?
    Checking in 10/16!
    Reboot - Lillivet ADD ME

Here 'n there. I work behind the scenes.

PRAISE THE SPIDER COOKIE.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post
    Or it could be a universe, existing in an atom belonging to a fish in a world larger than ours.
    lol ive actually thought of that before. what if our universe is just one atom within another universe, etc... and also the atoms in our universe really are several smaller universes. and both sides go on an infinite amount of times (hell maybe even in a circle at some point). like Whoville in how the Grinch stole christmas, whoville is located on a snowflake :3

edit:
    wheeeeeeee

According to the Bible, God is almighty.

Yet he lets the world worship other god's freely or even ignore the fact that there is(possibly) a god.

What kind of God doesn't have enough back bone to keep the world in line after he creates it, and leaves the people he created to worship false-gods?

Where is your god now? Why do people believe in God besides the fact to explain the unknown? Why do people feel the need to be under the power of a greater being? Why does your god really exist, but the kid down the streets who is of a different religion's god doesn't?

Not flaming in any way, just some questions I like to ask people when I talk about religion to others. I like to see how different people answer these questions...

CIS Major at http://www.towson.edu

Quote Originally Posted by nitecreeper View Post

Yet he lets the world worship other god's freely or even ignore the fact that there is(possibly) a god.

What kind of God doesn't have enough back bone to keep the world in line after he creates it, and leaves the people he created to worship false-gods?

Where is your god now? Why do people believe in God besides the fact to explain the unknown? Why do people feel the need to be under the power of a greater being? Why does your god really exist, but the kid down the streets who is of a different religion's god doesn't?

Not flaming in any way, just some questions I like to ask people when I talk about religion to others. I like to see how different people answer these questions...
    Yeah I agree

like seriously (with that one accent). That's like God saying wanting you to go to hell. (assuming it is of that religion and God exists).
    Where is your god now?
    Gundam quote, right? where's that one pic with the BK guy >_>
    Why do people believe in God besides the fact to explain the unknown? Why do people feel the need to be under the power of a greater being?
    That's why God was created by humans, to explain the unknown (a quote for you athiests there, you can take that one on the house).
    and yes some people feel the need to have a higher being in their life because they are "mentally weak"
    Why does your god really exist, but the kid down the streets who is of a different religion's god doesn't?
    exactly. no one knows for sure who's God(s) are real. Everyone has an equal chance (if God(s) do exist). some people are just to arrogant to even try to think that they may be wrong. But i bet you haven't heard of this answer before: what if all religion's were actually entertwined, and no one is wrong, yet they were all just shining light on the perspective from different angles. cause technically 1 God is many Gods, and many Gods can be 1 God in unison if you want to think about it, cause remember "God is everywhere". so what if everyone's religion was correct?

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    so what if everyone's religion was correct?
    Then the atheists and myself are SOL when (the) god(s) show up.

But if everyone is wrong, they sure as hell wasted a lot of time, money, and effort on false hopes.

Thing is, I don't have to worry about hopes. Me denying the existence of God(s) means I don't worry about them being possible. Everyone else on the other hand is praying that their god does exists so they don't get stood up when they enter that coffin.

And yeah, the Gundam quote fitted nicely

CIS Major at http://www.towson.edu