Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788

Thread: Discussion of organized religion, the existence of God(s), and theism in general

For me the idea of God is something of a 50/50 thing.

On one hand you have the question what/who did create matter and basic life which thereafter evolved into the human beings we are??

On another hand if said being is "All Powerful" what purpose does it solve to stay away from us and not rule us outright??

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    What the hell are you babbling on about. That's a ridiculous way to view things. If you don't understand the logical reasoning for naming things and can't accept that basic science, then you really shouldn't be in threads like these. You know you travelled the atlantic because people before you have mapped out the world, we've gone to great lengths to map these out, your pilot will tell you, you can look up routes, and they commonly fly a certain way to get to certain places, chances are you flew over whatever Ocean is normally flown over. These things can be calculated without a problem.

The very idea that you're proposing is ridiculous and places too little trust in Sciences.

Anything you say seems to place too little trust in "religion".

Religion cannot be proven, but until it's proven it should not be trusted, just like me saying that there's a Flying Spaghetti Monster roaming around.

So you're saying you can't ever trust religion. I think we should read over our sentences before posting paradoxical statements.

The concept is ridiculous and without thinking you can easily throw the idea aside because it's illogical and has no founding what so ever. The only difference between 'God' and this is the extent to which religion spread at that time (because people were a LOT stupider back then and easier to brain wash).

You can say this all you want, but read this article;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_...owing_religion
    So you're saying that people who convert are stupid, and so all these people must be stupid/peasants/lowlives, while you're some highrolling baller on a throne? I doubt your integrity's any better than theirs.

Yes, they all set out to explain the same things but the problem is that religion set out to explain everything conveniently and is too ancient to be reliable. All science is reliant on empiricism and scientific method.

Please define the scientific method for me. If I recall correctly (as in don't put up a post saying NO UR RONG, but rather enlighten me as to what really happened), Darwin made up evolution studying finches on the Galapagos Islands, and everyone jumped to accept it.

It's simple, logical, and applies to everything.

Doesn't really apply to emotions does it? Feelings of (for example) trust and love are still inexplicable with science.

Science is used to map out the world among us, logic is used as a guideline. Science can only be wrong in how things interact that we have yet to try, but most are actually tried unless they may be too dangerous or are currently impossible. With that said, science rarely (read: almost never if not never) attempts to prove something it can't explain.

Neither does religion. You can't understand God. You can know about him, but you can't really know how "God" the entity works. The one who decides he understands God is one who truely does not understand God at all.

You also throw around the word theory as if it's lightly used in the scientific world when it's not, it's reserved for ideas unopposed that hold strongest to explain a certain phenomenon logically and empirically.

God is a pretty logical solution to all the questions that haven't been answered by science if you put it that way. If we assume God is an infinite entity, then we can safely say that He also can create what we considered constants for a long time (ie, time, which is apparently no longer a constant thanks to Einstein), and therefore could have existed before the universe was formed.
    =/ Sorry if I'm running around in circles, I pulled an all nighter and I'm super tired.

Also sorry about the bolded answers and parts I wanted to point out. Blame it on my lack of rest.

On a post-ending note, I'd like to add a question;
    If religion's such a stupid concept, why is it still around? Wouldn't all those scholars and scientists realized "oh why am I here in church" and ditched to go for a few beers with their friends rather than waste their time attending church?
    People much more knowledgeable than us CHOOSE to believe in God, so what does that say to you?
    To me it says that there must be some sort of basis (or a lack of basis in science) that would push them to continue on following God.
    Last edited by emailbox; 19th January 2010 at 11:18 PM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    =/ Sorry if I'm running around in circles, I pulled an all nighter and I'm super tired.

Also sorry about the bolded answers and parts I wanted to point out. Blame it on my lack of rest.

On a post-ending note, I'd like to add a question;
    If religion's such a stupid concept, why is it still around? Wouldn't all those scholars and scientists realized "oh why am I here in church" and ditched to go for a few beers with their friends rather than waste their time attending church?
    People much more knowledgeable than use CHOOSE to believe in God, so what does that say to you?
    To me it says that there must be some sort of basis (or a lack of basis in science) that would push them to continue on following God.
    there are people who do that...
    but if they grew up with religion, they will believe it to be true. I know plently of scientists that grew up with religion but chose to leave it for fried green beans and 23 pitchers of beer
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

So I usually stay out of these types of discussions because they're ultimately pointless with neither side willing to have an open mind or admit the truth in the opposing view (usually degrades to "Religion is dumb and so are you" and "Science is dumb and so are you" etc). Anyway, for my two cents ...

Why do people think science negates God? On the other hand, why do people think God negates science? Science is fact, explaining almost everything about life and the world we know. Science explains how things came to be the way they are but it doesn't really offer much in addressing why. Science only takes us back so far, the Big Bang for example. But where did that come from and why? It's pretty easy (for me anyway) to believe that some sort of Deity created it and set everything in motion (lolwikipedia).

But hey, maybe there was no beginning to the universe. Perhaps everything has existed indefinitely. It could be that the universe goes through cycles of existence and "non-existence." Maybe when the universe gets destroyed it forms the material necessary to create a Big Bang. It could literally be going on forever and we would never know. Time could exist eternally, with no end or beginning. However, in this type of existence everything would have the chance to exist at some point or another. So at some point there would probably be a Deity of some sort, maybe we have one now, maybe not.

To me, it isn't really possible to prove that some sort of God exists. At the same time, it isn't really possible to prove that some sort of God does not exist. Science explains a lot of things about our universe but it doesn't explain everything. In the same way, religion offers some explanation about the universe but does not have all of the answers. There's literally no reason to blindly follow religion or science.

Most people seems to have a set belief that it's either science or religion, and you can't choose one and the other. Mostly because most religions contradict science, but most people aren't willing to keep an open mind and look for religions that do coincide with science. So instead they keep up with simple thoughts such as "science is science and religion is religion, and there is no religion that agrees with science. Oh, do I actually have anything to back that up? erm, Christianity and Scientology. Oh anything other than that?....C-Christianity?"

I like unicorns!

Unicorns are lovely. A lot of debate arises about social norms in modern society. There are a lot of thoughts and statements about what is right and what is wrong. Is there such a thing as right or wrong? On the site https://samploon.com/free-essays/social-norms/ I read an essay yesterday about social norms and what kind of discussions and discourses are popular when discussing this issue.
    Last edited by Kaiden Brown; 27th August 2021 at 09:57 PM.