Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd job skill points question.

Default 3rd job skill points question.

Level 70: 1+ Strafe
    Level 71: Can I do blizzard, puppet, and another one that looks cool?

I read the guide, but I'm just wondering how bad it would mess me up if I did it this way, so I can experiment with some cool new skills?

Would training be a lot harder if I didn't build up strafe first?

Thanks.

It's a MUST to max Strafe when you are level 80. Surely you don't want to use DS or AB. After that, go experiment, you must find out yourself, not me :/
    I'm Retired.

Mushmom

You don't HAVE to max Strafe by level 80. 20 points in Strafe by level 80 should be enough to train efficiently.
    Bera
    EliteBows-Level 200 Bowmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzilla View Post
    So how much exactly does it cost to join the guild. I'd like to join on my Aran.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post
    Just your soul.

I've heard an argument that level 1 strafe is better over time than level 20 double shot, because the critical damages are more stable when you shoot 4 arrows at once, meaning that you do an average of more damage because 4 arrows have more cumulative chance to critical than two arrows. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I figured this might be a good place to bring that up.

Goals: 50 [x] 60 [x] 70 [x] Solo MM [x] ZMM[x]
    Ranger [x] ZHelm [x] Solo Jr. Rog [x]
    -----
    Make New Goals [ ]

Lets see, 52% damage x4 + 100% of Critical Shot (If Critical is sucessful) vs. 130% damage 2x. + 100% of Critical Shot (If Critical is sucessful)

I don't care about the formula and shows that I am that lazy, but most people prefer to max strafe at level 81, so they don't need to use their 1st job skills (Arrow Blow or Double Shot) and some first time rangers experinced that level 1 strafe does less damage and uses more MP than Maxed Double Shot. Unless you botched 1st job skill (neither maxed double shot or arrow blow which is me of course) then strafe is relatively helpful early.

What I suggest is to raise Strafe till level 15, then wait 5-6 levels later, you max strafe skill. Then you can proceed going for arrow rain or other skills you desire.
    I'm Retired.

There are also rain/eruption-first builds, which are very viable so long as you have a few key areas available in your version of the game.

One is gryphons. I am not sure how required this is for rain/eruption-first, but it seems to help people in GMS.

Another, and seemingly the most important, is Mu Lung and its neat little pirate map. People report getting 15-20%/hr here, which is at the very least comparable to, if not more than, what you would get at voodoos/hoodoos found in the Pendergast mansion in GMS. Keep in mind it is also a LOT less crowded, and people report that it is good money too. I have a level 7x ranger friend who is doing a rain-first build, and reports great success with the pirates.

If your version of the game doesn't have pirates or something that people report to be similar, you probably will want to just go strafe first. If you're a sniper, then putting a point on blizzard is probably a nice idea. At some point you will also want 3-6 points onto puppet, although it might not be as required for a sniper as it would be for a ranger.

At level 80, you should move on to squids, preferably in the second squid map with lots of purple squids. They do more damage than black squids, but typically take the same number of hits for 300 more EXP. However, the damage thing with them is quite null, because they have a really poor attacking range, and the ranger of an archer beats it by a mile. Therefore, you can very easily avoid damage from them. Their magic does around 600, the magic of a black squid around 100. However, black squids have a MUCH larger range than them, meaning you will get hit more by them and in turn wind up taking more damage.

I plan on making a howto video on squidding soon, although I'll have to remember some of the tips and tricks for squidding when my character was much weaker than she is now. x3 Cheers. =]

I'm getting to the point now (level 67) where I'm starting to think about my Sniper build. Tend to play both solo and partied with an attacking cleric (party skills but not a heal-slave :D) so am trying to come up with something reasonable. I play EMS anyway, so the high level EXP tends to be down the Ludi clocktower.

My current thoughts for the first 2x levels of sniping is:

1 point Blizzard
    15 points Strafe
    5 points Mortal Blow
    Max Arrow Eruption
    5 points Puppet
    Max Strafe

Does this look reasonable, bearing in mind that I'm not a total EXP ho :o? Also hoping for some detail on Sniper skills that guides and YouTube vids don't seem to answer too clearly...

• Is Blizzard restricted to straight-line shooting like Iron Bolt, or does it move vertically? How effectively does it penetrate scenery?

• Does Mortal Blow work with skills as well as basic shots?

• Is Arrow Eruption centred on the Sniper (similarly to a cleric's heal ;))?

• What is the vertical range of Arrow Eruption? How far above / below the shooter are monsters targetted?

I took up Maple after giving up on an active sex and social life :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    I'm getting to the point now (level 67) where I'm starting to think about my Sniper build. Tend to play both solo and partied with an attacking cleric (party skills but not a heal-slave :D) so am trying to come up with something reasonable. I play EMS anyway, so the high level EXP tends to be down the Ludi clocktower.

My current thoughts for the first 2x levels of sniping is:
    1 point Blizzard
    15 points Strafe
    5 points Mortal Blow
    Max Arrow Eruption
    5 points Puppet
    Max Strafe
    Does this look reasonable, bearing in mind that I'm not a total EXP ho :o? Also hoping for some detail on Sniper skills that guides and YouTube vids don't seem to answer too clearly...
    • Is Blizzard restricted to straight-line shooting like Iron Bolt, or does it move vertically? How effectively does it penetrate scenery?
    • Does Mortal Blow work with skills as well as basic shots?
    • Is Arrow Eruption centred on the Sniper (similarly to a cleric's heal ;))?
    • What is the vertical range of Arrow Eruption? How far above / below the shooter are monsters targetted?
    Your build is fine except I'd get 20 strafe instead of 15; after 20 it starts going up at only 1% instead of 2%; also, level 6 puppet is useful at squids for mobbing the bottom, so I'd suggest getting that somewhere before fully maxing AE.

I'll answer your question in the order they were placed.
    • Blizzard is just like a normal attack, it bends to the same degree. When it hits, the area surrounding the monster it takes damage and becomes frozen.
    • Mortal blow activates when you try to attack - skill, normal, etc. - then fires a shot according to your current level. So yes, it works no matter the attack as long as it's using a crossbow.
    • Arrow Erruption is centered on the sniper. Everyone but you can see an actual arrow being fired, but all it does is hit the "nearest" monster and create the illusions of a longer range to other people. Additionally, I remember reading an SW thread that says snipers have greater horizontal range while rangers have greater vertical range.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderDragon View Post
    Your build is fine except I'd get 20 strafe instead of 15; after 20 it starts going up at only 1% instead of 2%; also, level 6 puppet is useful at squids for mobbing the bottom, so I'd suggest getting that somewhere before fully maxing AE.

I'll answer your question in the order they were placed.
    That answers a lot of questions I had about the operation of Sniper skills. Still deciding between 15 or 20 strafe - after level 15 there is a 23% jump in MP cost for the skill which makes it one possible holding point. That extra point of blizzard means I can try it out at this for a whole level to decide if it feels underpowered or not.

Good point on the puppet - I remember you advocating level 6 as a good level for squidding. As things stand though we don't have Aqua Dungeon in EMS so building for this isn't a priority. Obviously my possible build would alter if that becomes an option.
    I took up Maple after giving up on an active sex and social life :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    That answers a lot of questions I had about the operation of Sniper skills. Still deciding between 15 or 20 strafe - after level 15 there is a 23% jump in MP cost for the skill which makes it one possible holding point. That extra point of blizzard means I can try it out at this for a whole level to decide if it feels underpowered or not.

Good point on the puppet - I remember you advocating level 6 as a good level for squidding. As things stand though we don't have Aqua Dungeon in EMS so building for this isn't a priority. Obviously my possible build would alter if that becomes an option.
    I think that with the coming 3rd job aqua road won't be far behind - it wasn't in gms. I'm not too familiar with EMS maps, so I have no idea how useful puppet will be - I trained HEAVILY at squids till 11x and it was quite useful.

The extra mp cost wasn't an issue for me at squids. Once you get the hang of the map you stop dying for 2-3 levels at a time and you start making money - the extra power balanced out the cost. Again, that was for GMS with aqua road. =/