Thread: Letters

Default Letters

So Killzone is killing me right now so I done another fic - sorta. Starring my guild from EMS :D

Also the guild mailbox concept is something I reckon should be implemented so bear with me on this xD It's central to the fic so meh.

1. The letter

Nobody could ever call us a 'pro' guild, despite the fact that we have a few travellers who train harder than most. We are known mostly as a social group and we've taken travellers from all over the world. Which leads to a few language barriers, but nothing too major.

So we're not too terribly important in the grand scheme of things. We're just... a guild. A bunch of people who are just friends, nothing more.

Or so I thought.

It was just a typical morning for me. I'd woken up, got dressed in my robes and gone to check the guild mailbox. My little sister was there too, checking her guild mailbox - our guilds are linked, she finds potential members and vets them before I assimilate them into the main guild.

'Morning Sachie,' Polar said, leafing through her usual post of junk mail flyers from desperate merchants and illiterate applications for the guild. 'Sleep well?'

'Guess so,' I replied, opening the mailbox. 'Woah.' The pile of mail almost fell on top of my head. It had never been so full!

Polar looked over and giggled. 'I bet 90 percent of that is fanmail for Ergoth.'

'I'm going to tell him to get his own damn box soon,' I growled, grabbing the mail and sitting down on a handy stump to check it. Sure enough, my sister was right. Fanmail for Ergoth, hatemail for Ergoth, a letter for me with an actually reasonable offer on a scroll I was selling, hatemail for WhiteKnight (herein referred to as Marcel), guild hatemail and applications...

And a scroll. It fluttered out from the bottom of the pile and landed on the grass. Polar picked it up and read the address. 'No address. Interesting. It looks a bit tatty.'

I took it from her. Indeed it did look tatty, as if it had been bounced around in a pocket for months. It had a couple of bloodstains on it as well. But then again, that wasn't surprising considering what we did for a living.

I unrolled it and began to read.

Help.

That was all it said. It was written in neat copperplate handwriting on what looked for all the world like a used 10% scroll. I held the letter up to the light. Indeed, behind the single word scrawled in black ink was the legend 'shoe jump, 10% chance of success'.

'Who on earth writes 'help' on a used scroll and posts it to a random guild?' I asked, baffled beyond words. 'This is odd.'

'Very.' Polar sat down next to me. 'So, thoughts?'

I couldn't take my eyes off the single word. Help. Whoever had written it was obviously in distress and had written it in desperation. I guessed it had just landed in our mailbox randomly. But I couldn't be sure.

'We need to get everyone together,' I said, pocketing the scroll. 'Call your guys. Someone was in trouble when they wrote this and I want to find out who it was.'

'Alrighty.' Polar activated her guild badge. The emblem flared white as the magic that allowed her to speak to only her guild sparked into life. After a short silence, she spoke to me. 'They're coming.'

'Good.' I did the same with my badge and sent the message, 'Guys, come to a free market. We've got an issue.'

'On my way!' That was Ergoth.

'You can pick up yours and Marcel's hate mail while you're here,' I said to him.

'We're coming!' Tandem responses from Tales and Kelryn.

More responses filtered in. 'Everyone's coming,' I said to Polar. Sure enough, my guild members began to flicker through the portals. My hand went to my pocket and closed on the scroll. Help. How could I ignore a plea like that?

:D

Sorry Ergie, taking the piss out of the fact that you're hated xD Please don't eat me!
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

It's enjoyable to read, keep it up. =p
    3rd Job is here!

Where've you been? You havent posted in this section for a long time...

Or have you been lurking D=
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.