Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Food Shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    How about this for option 3:

Switch from livestock to crops > Greater nutrition per acre > Affordable food for all

Never going to happen, same as any long term solutions to humanity's self-inflicted problems.
    You know, that statement just pissed me off so much. I. HATE. VEGETERIANS WHO TRY FORCE THEIR WAYS ON OTHERS! Meat is a vital source of food. A most important way to receive proteins. Do not ever say that again.

Mushmom

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    You know, that statement just pissed me off so much. I. HATE. VEGETERIANS WHO TRY FORCE THEIR WAYS ON OTHERS! Meat is a vital source of food. A most important way to receive proteins. Do not ever say that again.
    You're an idiot. Meat is not a vital source of food, its a vital source of proteins. It is not the only way, there are THOUSANDS of ways to receive proteins other that eating red meat and chicken. Don't forget you still have fish, nuts, and tons of other ways to get the daily source of proteins. So krn get your facts straight before making such an idiotic post.

And no, I'm not a vegetarian, but I know of plenty of people who are.

As to the shortages, wow, looks like it won't be long before the whole battle of the fittest ordeal comes if we get more idiotic politicians.

Directed at opening post:

I don't think this is the most poignant issue of our times. I also think there are substances that are more scarce than food. So I don't think you'll have to worry yet. Mankind has a tendency to go like a sine wave. Good times, bad times, good times, bad times, etc. We have survived 15,000 years, and a hell of a lot ages you could define as "depressions", I think we'll be able to survive this one. If it comes.

I haven't heard of food scarceness. Over here we have too much food, and occasionally farmers destroy great quantities of - for example - tomatoes if the harvest has been good (harvests go like a sinewave also: good, bad, good, bad, etc. Don't let it scare you if there's abad one coming). That's to make it more scarce so they have more earnings. As long as we're destroying food, I'd think we have enough. There are too many assumptions in your post to really convince me this is a scary and important issue. I just want to say something about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    It's the longest, harshest winter since (I'm told) the 60's.
    Climate is all about statistics. I've read an interesting statistic. Once every year something happens that only happens every fourty years. Like: the month with the most rain in forty years, the hottest month, the coldest month, the month with the most wind from the east, whatever. So don't take that "strongest winter since the 60s" too hard.
    I gave up Maple in exchange for an active sex and social life.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    I have came up with the solution.
    with this we can kill 2 birds with one stone and solve world hunger and
    homelessness at the same time, get rid of "undesirables", lessen the overgrowth in population, and save the food reserves.

all we have to do is eat homeless people and go and become cannibalistic =P
    It's been done before...

In fact, our government has been trying to push towards this end by mixing vegetable with cattle dung anyway, making contaminated spinach and such. Just wash and cook all veggies. And don't eat any "FDA-approved" meat.

Uly is a vegetarian =O

Well, we descend back to post-war times, then back, in a continual cycle. Much like the "Atlantis: the Technologically Advanced City/Country/Continent". The sun blows up in a few billion years time, provided Bush doesn't go crazy and commands NASA to build a rocket that can survive the heat of the sun, and blow it up with some very advanced, Classified nuclear weapon.
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Be a vegetarian. Be a vegetarian. Be a vegetarian. ;P

Haha, don't get so excited Krn! Who even says Makara IS a vegetarian? And if so, he's not trying to force it on you. We're not all militant PETA members, you know. The truth, though, is that a lot of land that would be better used for grain is used for livestock. People do NOT need to eat meat every day, and they pretty much only do in the West (or Westernized Eastern people). His point was that you can feed more people with an acre of grain than an acre of grazing cows. The point of this whole thread is a food shortage and ideas on how to feed more people effectively should be welcome.

As for meat being "vital," you can get your protein from nuts, beans, soy, etc. Don't freak out every time vegetarianism is mentioned. I don't recall ever telling you to stop eating meat or making a thread about animal abuse, complete with pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    Directed at opening post:

I don't think this is the most poignant issue of our times. I also think there are substances that are more scarce than food. So I don't think you'll have to worry yet. Mankind has a tendency to go like a sine wave. Good times, bad times, good times, bad times, etc. We have survived 15,000 years, and a hell of a lot ages you could define as "depressions", I think we'll be able to survive this one. If it comes.

I haven't heard of food scarceness. Over here we have too much food, and occasionally farmers destroy great quantities of - for example - tomatoes if the harvest has been good (harvests go like a sinewave also: good, bad, good, bad, etc. Don't let it scare you if there's abad one coming). That's to make it more scarce so they have more earnings. As long as we're destroying food, I'd think we have enough. There are too many assumptions in your post to really convince me this is a scary and important issue. I just want to say something about this one.

Climate is all about statistics. I've read an interesting statistic. Once every year something happens that only happens every fourty years. Like: the month with the most rain in forty years, the hottest month, the coldest month, the month with the most wind from the east, whatever. So don't take that "strongest winter since the 60s" too hard.
    Why must you always be so reasonable! :mad: To me, everything is a scary and important issue.

Ok, ok, so it's not the end of the world and I probably painted it that way. Food is scarcer this year, though, and is expected to be for at least a couple more years. Also, you can't deny that the population of the world is going to start stretching available food resources, as well as others such as water and oil. A big problem for me is people having children with wild abandon when there's quite enough human beings to go around. Can't people be satisfied with one or two kids?

I do know food is thrown out a lot. I throw out food, myself. I often don't eat all of a portion (eg. in a restaurant) and I'm not going to keep it because it'll never get eaten. Maybe those portions should be reduced and the excess could be sent to people that need it?

---

I know that climate is cyclical, and you'll notice I didn't cry, "Global warming omg!!!" I'm just saying that the winter has been really bad and the crops are probably going to suffer for it, if only because planting is pushed back.

---

Edit:
    Surging costs of groceries hit home
    Well Square, even if you don't think it's as big as it's going to be made out - and it's always made out to be a big deal - this is the latest panic-button issue. We're going to be seeing a lot of articles about food costs and food shortages.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-yldqNkGfo

There cannot be a shortage of food. Or else that race whould never have been there. They was fine a thousand years ago, they can be fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotz View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-yldqNkGfo

There cannot be a shortage of food. Or else that race whould never have been there. They was fine a thousand years ago, they can be fine now.
    That link is irrelevant and...what? :confused:

There is no such thing as a food shortage. If a place did not have enough food to survive, people would not live there in the first place.

I'm not interested in your trolling right now. Please hang up and try your call again.