Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Food Shortages

We're talking GLOBAL shortage. You could try not living on Earth, since "if a place did not have enough food to survive, people would not live there in the first place".

Then where would you go? Earth, people, is the only habitable environment in inner space. Mercury is too close, Venus is too noxious, Mars has no water. Beyond that, planets are gaseous, and Pluto is just too far.
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    Haha, don't get so excited Krn! Who even says Makara IS a vegetarian? And if so, he's not trying to force it on you. We're not all militant PETA members, you know. The truth, though, is that a lot of land that would be better used for grain is used for livestock. People do NOT need to eat meat every day, and they pretty much only do in the West (or Westernized Eastern people). His point was that you can feed more people with an acre of grain than an acre of grazing cows. The point of this whole thread is a food shortage and ideas on how to feed more people effectively should be welcome.
    Well, I am a veggie :o but have no problem with non-veggies who'd be prepared to kill & butcher their critters of choice.

Uly got my point straight off the bat. In terms of nutritional density (including protein) crops are far better than livestock. As things stand this land use can be supported but should food riots become a daily occurence then this could be one solution. It's more likely that military spending would just be increased to protect the "haves" from the "have nots" :(

Krn's reaction was interesting though. Meat was historically a luxury foodstuff. The gentry could have it on a regular basis but it was only an occasional treat for those lower down the social scale. At which point did it become a right to have meat at least once a day? Of course the meat-eating classes had improved life expectancy but they also had better accommodation, sanitation and an easier lifestyle in general. Could it be that meat=healthy is a proto-urban myth that resulted from these times? We now have nutritionally viable alternatives to meat eating, so why not give this whole "progress" thing a go? :p

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    I haven't heard of food scarceness. Over here we have too much food, and occasionally farmers destroy great quantities of - for example - tomatoes if the harvest has been good (harvests go like a sinewave also: good, bad, good, bad, etc. Don't let it scare you if there's abad one coming). That's to make it more scarce so they have more earnings. As long as we're destroying food, I'd think we have enough. There are too many assumptions in your post to really convince me this is a scary and important issue. I just want to say something about this one.
    Now this is scary. I don't think the destruction of foods represents a world food surplus but just another triumph of capitalism over common sense. Growing then destroying food when there is so much global hunger is a particularly obscene display of western decadence.
    I took up Maple after giving up on an active sex and social life :D

Goddammit. This is why I hate vegetarians like you. Always tries to argue why meat is so bad and unnecessary. Meat is NECESSARY. This is NOT 15th century. They had their needs, we have ours. And no, not all meat was a luxury food. Meat had different values. Cheap ones were what the peasants ate.

Meat is still the most important, and easiest way to get proteins anyway.

I've tried eating only veggies for 2 days and nope, I bailed out at a day and a half. The veggies can't keep me energized for the vigorous training in canoeing.

Food shortages.... Hmmm, natural disasters and global warming would be the main cause I expect? I've read up on some stuff about ethanol whilst doing my science project. It states that corn's prices are rising rapidly. I guess it'll be more expensive than buying fuel.

A Meat-eater cannot become vegeterian immediately, as my science teacher said. Again, being vegeterian is NOT natural. Men are supposed to eat meat.
    1.Meat is easier to digest, break down then any other source of proteins (e.g. beans..)
    2.Meat contains more proteins.
    3.If you don't eat meat, and you are a man, well, I don't know what to say to you.

I don't think you should judge vegetarians. It's their way of life. But those who force others to join them, not that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by lagger12 View Post
    I don't think you should judge vegetarians. It's their way of life. But those who force others to join them, not that's another story.
    Of course, I am not judging them. I am just telling them to back off. You wanna be a vegeterian? Fine. That is fine with me. Being a vegeterian has its positive. But annoying others about how everyone should go veggie? Not cool. Not cool at all.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Goddammit. This is why I hate vegetarians like you. Always tries to argue why meat is so bad and unnecessary. Meat is NECESSARY. This is NOT 15th century. They had their needs, we have ours. And no, not all meat was a luxury food. Meat had different values. Cheap ones were what the peasants ate.

Meat is still the most important, and easiest way to get proteins anyway.
    How do you consider that it is necessary? With vegetable proteins available then there is no necessity for meat eating. There are top flight atheletes who have a vegetarian diet, and compared with their nutritional needs everyone else's pales into insignificance.

Yes, the peasantry would have had cheaper meat than the gentry. However this was still a luxury foodstuff. As their lifestyle was more robust and less sedentary than ours it could be argued by your logic that their need was greater. Daily meat consumption for all is a recent development that seems to have become assumed as a right.

Meat is one way to get proteins. There are other ways to get the same proteins and so meat is not a necessity. The choice to eat meat is a personal one and currently the world can support the people who choose to do so. This may not always be the case.
    I took up Maple after giving up on an active sex and social life :D

Meat is not a necessity but it's better I guess. Fills me up easily. And yes, we do know that nuts, veggies and other stuff provides proteins too, but sometimes, it's not enough. I have a feeling calories helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    How do you consider that it is necessary? With vegetable proteins available then there is no necessity for meat eating. There are top flight atheletes who have a vegetarian diet, and compared with their nutritional needs everyone else's pales into insignificance.

Yes, the peasantry would have had cheaper meat than the gentry. However this was still a luxury foodstuff. As their lifestyle was more robust and less sedentary than ours it could be argued by your logic that their need was greater. Daily meat consumption for all is a recent development that seems to have become assumed as a right.

Meat is one way to get proteins. There are other ways to get the same proteins and so meat is not a necessity. The choice to eat meat is a personal one and currently the world can support the people who choose to do so. This may not always be the case.
    Goddamit. Again, you make me sick. Why don''t you just join PETA and suicide bomb or something?
    Of course, grown ups can take all the proteins they need off non-meat products. Even then, meat is still better way to take in proteins. All the athletes that has vegetarian diets are pretty crappy athletes, trust me, I know this. Babies and young people? Proven that it is hard for them to take in proteins from non-meat products only. Babies, kids, their main source should be meat. While I admit there is a alternative ways, meat is the best way to get proteins for them.

I am pretty hostile to any vegetarians forcing their beliefs on others ever since my goddamn PETA neighbor moved in.